A recent secret launch of a rocket off the coast of California?

Old November 10th 10, 07:51 AM posted to sci.space.policy
snidely

Default A recent secret launch of a rocket off the coast of California?

On Nov 9, 5:50*pm, Brian Thorn wrote:
On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 23:32:17 +0000 (UTC), Rick Jones

wrote:
A US Airways 757, Honolulu to Phoenix flew through the area at the
time of the sighting.

Its contrail though should look like it was appearing out of the ocean
in the West and then going overhead to the East shouldn't it?

Which it does. The wider part of the trail is farther away from the
viewer, as the contrail expanded with time. The narrow tip of the
trail is actually closest to the viewer, passing 30,000 feet above and
ahead of the camera.

At least 1 LA TV station's news program today filmed a similar
contrail today, and zoomed in enough to show the airliner laying it
down.

/dps
Old November 10th 10, 07:58 AM posted to sci.space.policy
snidely

On Nov 9, 7:45*pm, Orval Fairbairn

wrote:

A US Airways 757, Honolulu to Phoenix flew through the area at the
time of the sighting.

Its contrail though should look like it was appearing out of the ocean
in the West and then going overhead to the East shouldn't it?

Which it does. The wider part of the trail is farther away from the
viewer, as the contrail expanded with time. The narrow tip of the
trail is actually closest to the viewer, passing 30,000 feet above and
ahead of the camera.

Brian

Not only that, but ascending smoke trails from rockets get all
raggedy-looking as the rocket gains altitude, through winds of varying
speeds and directions.

sometimes yes, sometimes no:
http://www.spacearchive.info/temp-delta-ii-cosmo-4.jpg
(Brian Webb's fine foto; he may also have his comments up on the site,
but has seen many jet contrails look like Monday's)

Conclusion: contrail at altitude.

I think you've got the right conclusion, but your argument is a bit
shakey.

/dps
Old November 10th 10, 08:01 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Nov 9, 2:08*pm, |"
wrote:
It was caught on tape and the government says it
wasn't something a foreign power did.

Star wars still or just a test of submarine based
missiles to see if they work?

I'm thinking large HTP + RP-1 fueled rocket. Our guys missed this
one, and we got lucky.

~ BG
Old November 10th 10, 04:59 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Doug Freyburger

Orval Fairbairn wrote:

Not only that, but ascending smoke trails from rockets get all
raggedy-looking as the rocket gains altitude, through winds of varying
speeds and directions. Conclusion: contrail at altitude.

When I lived in LA metro I remember seeing the impressive high altitude
clouds backlit by the setting sun. They shown well after dark because
they were so high in the stratosphere. I remember such clouds from
sunset launches from both Vandenburg AFB and PTMC Pt Mugu NAS.

If no such clouds were visible about an hour later it was a jet contrail
with a really cool looking angle of perspective.
Old November 10th 10, 05:20 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley

In article , bthorn64
@suddenlink.net says...

On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 14:08:06 -0800 (PST),
|" wrote:

It was caught on tape and the government says it
wasn't something a foreign power did.

Star wars still or just a test of submarine based
missiles to see if they work?

Airliner flying in usual atmospheric and lighting conditions near
sunset.

This is what today's news reports are saying.

Jeff
--
42
Old November 10th 10, 08:18 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

On 11/10/2010 7:59 AM, Doug Freyburger wrote:

When I lived in LA metro I remember seeing the impressive high altitude
clouds backlit by the setting sun. They shown well after dark because
they were so high in the stratosphere. I remember such clouds from
sunset launches from both Vandenburg AFB and PTMC Pt Mugu NAS.

If no such clouds were visible about an hour later it was a jet contrail
with a really cool looking angle of perspective.

There's a really good set of photos of luminous clouds created by a
Minuteman launch at sunset he http://www.freqofnature.com/photos/mmiii/

Pat

Old November 10th 10, 09:55 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Nov 10, 9:19*am, LSMFT wrote:
| wrote:
It was caught on tape and the government says it
wasn't something a foreign power did.

Star wars still or just a test of submarine based
missiles to see if they work?

I've seen it before in Maine. Just an optical illusion of a jet trail.
The jet is actually coming toward you and that is the trail over the
horizon.

--
LSMFT

A vast slue of DoD surface and space deployed radars can clearly
detect such vapor/exhaust and IR trails, and yet they still can't
manage to connect that one to any known aircraft.

So, perhaps it was a Chinese or Russian stealth spy plane or
whatever. Either way, our best guys and all the trillions we've
invested into supposedly the best radar and IR imaging detection
technology on Earth, missed it entirely. Way to go DHS and DoD. No
wonder they couldn't find any Muslim WMD, much less OBL

~ BG
Old November 10th 10, 10:27 PM posted to sci.space.policy
LSMFT

Brad Guth wrote:
On Nov 10, 9:19 am, wrote:
| wrote:
It was caught on tape and the government says it
wasn't something a foreign power did.

Star wars still or just a test of submarine based
missiles to see if they work?

I've seen it before in Maine. Just an optical illusion of a jet trail.
The jet is actually coming toward you and that is the trail over the
horizon.

--
LSMFT

A vast slue of DoD surface and space deployed radars can clearly
detect such vapor/exhaust and IR trails, and yet they still can't
manage to connect that one to any known aircraft.

So, perhaps it was a Chinese or Russian stealth spy plane or
whatever. Either way, our best guys and all the trillions we've
invested into supposedly the best radar and IR imaging detection
technology on Earth, missed it entirely. Way to go DHS and DoD. No
wonder they couldn't find any Muslim WMD, much less OBL

~ BG

They didn't see the other thousand jet trails either. They have to be
looking.

--
LSMFT

Old November 11th 10, 12:55 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Brian Thorn[_2_]

On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 22:58:03 -0800 (PST), snidely
wrote:

Not only that, but ascending smoke trails from rockets get all
raggedy-looking as the rocket gains altitude, through winds of varying
speeds and directions.

sometimes yes, sometimes no:
http://www.spacearchive.info/temp-delta-ii-cosmo-4.jpg

Uh, that's a time-lapse photo showing the flame of the rocket crossing
the sky over a few minutes, not the resulting rocket smoke trail.

Brian