BEAM expansion and SpaceX launch tomorrow

Old June 3rd 16, 11:46 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default BEAM expansion and SpaceX launch tomorrow

In article . com,
says...

On 2016-06-02 20:59, Jeff Findley wrote:

Which is why I am suggesting the arm be in neutral mode/free motion.

Which isn't going to completely stop the transmission of motion to the
station.

Depending on orinetation of BEAM and articulatiosn of the arm, the
expansion of the module due to air pressure may move the CBM side in a
direction where an arm joint can rotate to follow the movement of the
CBM side.

But those arm segments still have mass and will therefore still transfer
forces to ISS. There is no free lunch here!!!

aka: if I push your hand sidewways, the torque happens at the shoulder.
If move your have upwards, the torque happens at the elbow which allows
the movement to happen without any movement happenng at shoulder.

And the movements are minimal. We're talking a few inches at a time. And
total movement is 68 inches for both ends, so 34 inchea for each side if
they have equal mass. With CBM being higher mass, it woukd move less and
the other end move more. So even less movement for the arm to follow.

Yes, it depends on how fast you inflate, but the forces will be there
nonetheless.

You don't have the numbers for BEAM. Those many layers of fabric aren't
at all like a balloon. They aren't nearly as light as you imagine.
They're more like a Kevlar weave, so think layers of bullet proof vest
material. Those things aren't terribly light. Now scale that up to
BEAM size in multiple layers.

Jeff