Is this a good first telescope?

Old January 30th 04, 11:57 PM
Kilolani

"Az Trekker" wrote in message
when I 1st got in to photography, all of the salesmen said" try this
four hundred dollar
set up, ( this was in the seventies) and if you like taking pics , we'll
sell you this eight hundred dollar set up "for more professional pics",
and then we'll sell you this fifteen hundred dollar set up to go into
business.

my advice: A) do not spend less than two pay
checks on your first anything, if you get the absolute best that
you can afford, you are rarely disappointed.
B) look thru at least a half dozen scopes ,prior to
your decision to purchase.
C) check out STARIZONA.COM

I'm sure Az Trekker's intentions are well meant, but I'm afraid you might be
getting some advice here which will put you off of amateur astronomy
forever. You certainly do not need to spend two paychecks on decent
equipment (unless you get very small paychecks). In fact, you can get a 10"
reflector on a Dobsonian mount for well under $600. If, on the other hand,
your primary interest is in astrophotography, it will indeed eventually cost
you two paychecks.

Old January 31st 04, 02:41 AM
Geoff

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 20:13:02 -0500, "Tom Lavier"
wrote:

Hi guys I'm thinking of buying one of these and was wondering if anyone more
knowledgeable than me could tell me if it is a good first telescope or what
I should be looking for if it isn't.

Thanks in advance.

This is what I would recommend as an entry level scope

http://www.hardinoptical.com/dsh6.html

Good optics, a stable mount and a good price.
I own the 10 incher myself
Old January 31st 04, 02:51 AM
Geoff

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 13:41:06 +1100, Geoff wrote:

This is what I would recommend as an entry level scope

http://www.hardinoptical.com/dsh6.html

Good optics, a stable mount and a good price.
I own the 10 incher myself

Actually, if you can swing the extra $ for the 8 inch, I would highly
recommend it. It has a 2 inch focuser and a much more usable finder.
Such a scope could keep you happy for many years.
Old January 31st 04, 10:32 AM
Dave Oatley

hi tom i bought my first scope about 7 months ago
i read all the books and checked all the web sites
and it was still a nerve racking operation :-)
in the end i bought a celestron c8 deluxe with digi setting circles,
astro master, declination motor,several eyepieces and a remote hand
controler for £600 on ebay.......
the scope is brilliant,you can get good deals on ebay but it takes time and
energy getting a good second hand scope,you MUST email BEFORE you bid on an
item and ask to go and view the scope if they say no for whatever
reason RUNAWAY ..............NEVER BUY A SCOPE BEFORE LOOKING THROUGH IT
if your buying a new scope remember if the shop only sales one brand
they will tell you its the one for you
the last point is the size phisicaly of the scope how prepared are you to
lug out a huge reflector or dob and spend ages setting up if your stuck for
space then you might consider a etx
a 8"sct is considerd portable...MMM but only if your really energetic
happy hunting and remember
NEVER BUY A SCOPE WITHOUT LOOKING THROUGH IT

dave
we come in piece shoot to kill

Old January 31st 04, 05:53 PM
Tom Lavier

I'm so happy with all the advice here. I'm not too concerned with lugging
it around as we're pretty secluded from the city and have a huge deck in the
backyard.

Old January 31st 04, 11:21 PM
Geoff

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 12:53:02 -0500, "Tom Lavier"
wrote:

I'm so happy with all the advice here. I'm not too concerned with lugging
it around as we're pretty secluded from the city and have a huge deck in the
backyard.

If you have a nice dark night sky ( can easily see the milky way )
from your home, then get the biggest aperture scope you can afford and
move.