Did you know you can buy land on the moon?

Old December 8th 03, 10:14 PM
Scott Hedrick

Default Did you know you can buy land on the moon?

"Scott Lowther" wrote in message
Hop David wrote:

Scott Hedrick wrote:
"Hop David" wrote in

message

There are references that give evidence Indian decimation occured.

Then it should have been easy for Stuffie to provide them.

There were two people posting sans references. Stuf4 and Lowther.

When I questioned Lowther's (referenceless) defense of Manifest Destiny,

Stuffie popped up with: "I'd be interested to know how many descendants
of these Natives get invited over for dinner by the descendants of the
Europeans on this day. ...and how many of these Natives join in giving
thanks for having their land overrun and taken over. How many of these
Natives have even survived? "

To which I replied: "More of 'em today than back then."

A quite simple statement of fact.

Let's say for the sake of argument that you count 1000 Uncatomajos as
some of your best friends, and that I've met 0 Indians. Sorry, this
doesn't make Manifest Destiny OK

Correct. Success makes manifest destiny okay - the Americans of the time
saw that their civilization was *easily* overtaking the indigenous ones;

The problem with Political Correctness is that it insists on viewing history
with a modern eye. While *today, with our current mindview* we're unlikely
to be so blatant about taking Injun land (we'd still do it, of course,
because there's money to be made, but there would be a lot more soundbites
against it and some token Injuns would be bribed into supporting us), back
then it was perfectly acceptable.

The only real difference between Modern Man and those rotten post-Columbus
raping *******s is that Modern Man would write bigger checks to the Injuns
while screwing them over, thus making Modern Man feel so much better about
the process.
--
If you have had problems with Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC),
please contact shredder at bellsouth dot net. There may be a class-action

Old December 8th 03, 10:16 PM
Pat Flannery

Hop David wrote:

Say 50 Spaniards kill all 50 Aztec men in a village and mate with the
remaining 50 women. The Spaniard men and Aztec women have 100 descendants.

The first question on the All-Mexico Math Quiz threw little Jose for a
loop; he had expected the one about 50 of Cortez's men starting out from
El Tajin on horseback at 10 kilometers per hour, while 2000 of
Moctezuma's troops traveled on foot from Teotihuac'an at only 6
kilometers per hour.

Pat

Old December 8th 03, 10:18 PM
Scott Hedrick

"Ami Silberman" wrote in message

Most of my gay acquaintances would prefer to be able to get married to

their
long-term partners.

There's nothing stoping gays from getting married now, and there never has
been. Any gay man is completely free to marry any woman he wants that wants
to marry him (barring certain familial relationships), just as any gay woman
is free to marry any man that wants to marry her (barring certain familial
relationships), no different than me or any straight person. It's a
non-issue.

Old December 8th 03, 10:20 PM
Pat Flannery

Derek Lyons wrote:

One thing that I learned in the book trade and dealing with literary
types... You'd be surprised how few books that 'everyone has read and
everyone is talking about' many literati have actually read. But they
faithfully buy 'em and parrot the phrases because that's the measure
of status in their world.

I have a copy of Bullfinch's Mythology; which seems to be the Cliff
Notes of the Victorian age- right down to having little quotes for you
to drop into your everyday conversation for the very purpose you just
stated.

pat

Old December 8th 03, 10:22 PM
Scott Hedrick

"Rick DeNatale" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 17:35:05 -0500, Scott Hedrick wrote:
None of that pussy politically correct crap here! The *real* one is

called
the *Confederate* Air Force, and only a namby-pamby type would call it
otherwise.

Not according to the CAF "Colonel's" that I've talked to. They bristle at
the idea that the name change was politically motivated. The original name
was chosen as a joke,

It was a *good* one, and it worked well, and it got more press, and there
was no good reason to change it. The *name* change doesn't seem to have
affected the mission of the organization, which is a good indicator that the
old name was perfectly fine and that the change *was* politically motivated.

The missile *still* says "Confederate".

"Confederate Air Force" was interesting. "Commemorative Air Force" is
boring.

Old December 8th 03, 10:52 PM
Pat Flannery

Hop David wrote:

He mentions primates and cetaceans as candidates for uplift species. I
like to imagine others: African grey parrots and ravens. Elephants.
Maybe even giant squid.

Anything living in the water is going to have a hard time developing
fire, which is the first step toward industrialization, further, whales
are going to have a hard time manipulating objects due to the lack of
hands, much less an opposable thumb, so any sentience they obtain is
going to be limited to a completely non-technological type.
The birds have the problem of being able to use only one claw at a time
to manipulate things, although they are very good at using their beaks
in combination with that claw- but even that comes nowhere near what can
be accomplished with two hands.
Giant squids (as all mollusks) have a really basic problem in that
their blood is based on hemocyanin rather than hemoglobin (copper rather
than iron) and this is a poor carrier of oxygen in comparison to
hemoglobin, meaning that they tend to tire quickly, and need cold water
to function best.
Although the life span of a Giant Squid isn't known, most of the other
cephalopods have very short life spans of only a year or two; which
makes it hard for them to learn much. (a big aid in developing
sentience; as the alternative relies upon inborn instincts, little
subject to change.)
I could see another species of primate evolving a civilization, provided
they are not all eaten first, as is presently going on...but I always
thought the Meerkat was a real possibility in this regards; as they have
a tightly operating social group where some meerkats stand guard for
predators as others obtain food, and have developed the ability to
stand, if not walk, upright... thereby freeing its front paws for
manipulating objects. ....and they have reflexes fast enough to allow
them to eat scorpions without getting stung.

Baxter portrays man as a scummy infection spreading through the galaxy
(for example the horrible way humanity treats the mirror skinned
creatures from cold places).

.....this being written for cynics..and the books _they_ buy.

Brin seems to portray life as a sacred fire spreading through the stars.

Which is just what you wanted to hear, wasn't it?
.....this being written for dreamers, and the books _they_ buy.
Like I said- the successful author knows his public, and what will
appeal to them.

Pat

Old December 8th 03, 10:53 PM
Herb Schaltegger

Scott Hedrick wrote:

"Ami Silberman" wrote in message

Most of my gay acquaintances would prefer to be able to get married to

their
long-term partners.

There's nothing stoping gays from getting married now, and there never has
been. Any gay man is completely free to marry any woman he wants that
wants to marry him (barring certain familial relationships), just as any
gay woman is free to marry any man that wants to marry her (barring
certain familial relationships), no different than me or any straight
person. It's a non-issue.

Are you TRYING to act trollish or are you tryuly this dense? I tend to
think the former rather than the latter but I could be wrong.

Ami clearly said "married TO THEIR LONG-TERM PARTNERS." (emphasis added)

What part of that don't you understand, especially when you say "It's a
non-issue"? What you ought to say is that it's a non-issue to you. It's
certainly an issue for my gay sister and her long-term partner.

--
Herb Schaltegger, B.S., J.D.
Reformed Aerospace Engineer
Old December 8th 03, 10:56 PM
Pat Flannery

Jonathan Silverlight wrote:

"Two nations separated by a common language". It was a silly question
though; as OM said, if I was colour blind I wouldn't be there.

"Captain, this is Ballast; the Christmas Tree is gray, sir."
Yes...this could lead to problems.

Pat

Old December 8th 03, 11:01 PM
Pat Flannery

Ami Silberman wrote:

Most of my gay acquaintances would prefer to be able to get married to their
long-term partners.

They should... for the sake of simply decency, not to mention for the
sake of their children...wait a second...

Pat
(imagining a wedding cake with two plastic grooms on it...which I'm sure
has been done.)

Old December 8th 03, 11:17 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Scott Hedrick
writes
[...]

So boring that it seems to have missed most people. I'm sure the article
in "Flypast" saying they were grounded while their pilots requalified
said "Confederate".
--
Rabbit arithmetic - 1 plus 1 equals 10