Bright object in western sky?

Old May 24th 07, 10:28 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Dr J R Stockton[_1_]

Default Bright object in western sky?

In uk.sci.astronomy message
roups.com, Thu, 24 May 2007 00:55:48, Will
posted:

My bedroom window faces West, and I've noticed in the last couple of
clear nights a very bright object in the sky.

You've had an answer to your specific question.

More generally, http://www.heavens-above.com/, go to Enter, insert
latitude, longitude, height, time zone; Main Menu (copy URL for future
use), _Astronomy_ Whole Sky Chart. At this moment, it shows me Jupiter,
Saturn & Venus; a but earlier, Mercury would have been up.

--
(c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK. Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Web URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - FAQqish topics, acronyms & links;
Old May 25th 07, 12:22 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Rexx Magnus

On Thu, 24 May 2007 07:55:48 GMT, Will wrote:

COMPLETE NEWBIE:

I quail slightly at asking a dumb question, so be gentle with me!

My bedroom window faces West, and I've noticed in the last couple
of clear nights a very bright object in the sky. It doesn't
"wink" so I assume it's not a star, but it's pretty spectacular.
A planet, maybe? I'm sorry I don't have the technical language to
describe its position better, but then if I did, I'd probably know
what it was. If it makes any difference, I'm in Gloucestershire.

TIA

Will.

Greetings fellow Gloucestershire-person.

Old May 26th 07, 02:13 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
OG

"Dr J R Stockton" wrote in message
nvalid...
In uk.sci.astronomy message
roups.com, Thu, 24 May 2007 00:55:48, Will
posted:

My bedroom window faces West, and I've noticed in the last couple of
clear nights a very bright object in the sky.

You've had an answer to your specific question.

More generally, http://www.heavens-above.com/, go to Enter, insert
latitude, longitude, height, time zone; Main Menu (copy URL for future

"To be honest, if the question is "What's that bright thing in the sky in
the evening?" there's almost always only one answer.

Old May 26th 07, 10:24 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Tim Duke

"To be honest, if the question is "What's that bright thing in the sky in
the evening?" there's almost always only one answer.

The Sun?

;-)

Old May 26th 07, 03:17 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Tim Duke

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evening...ion_of_Evening

Old May 26th 07, 08:35 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Rudy Lacchin

"Will" wrote in message
ups.com...
COMPLETE NEWBIE:

My bedroom window faces West, and I've noticed in the last couple of
clear nights a very bright object in the sky. It doesn't "wink" so I
assume it's not a star, but it's pretty spectacular. A planet,
maybe? I'm sorry I don't have the technical language to describe its
position better, but then if I did, I'd probably know what it was. If
it makes any difference, I'm in Gloucestershire.

If it's directly West at 9.00pm then it's Venus. Saturn is to the West (and
slightly lower in the sky) about two and a half hours later but it's not as
bright and looks more like a star to the naked eye.

No, it doesn't make any difference as I'm in Gloucestershire too. (Hello
Rexx.)

R.

PS. Apologies for the ravings of oriel36, by the way. He attempts to hijack
every thread: you will learn to ignore him.

Old May 27th 07, 12:36 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Dr J R Stockton[_1_]

In uk.sci.astronomy message , Sat,
26 May 2007 02:13:33, OG posted:

"Dr J R Stockton" wrote in message
. invalid...
In uk.sci.astronomy message
roups.com, Thu, 24 May 2007 00:55:48, Will
posted:

My bedroom window faces West, and I've noticed in the last couple of
clear nights a very bright object in the sky.

You've had an answer to your specific question.

More generally, http://www.heavens-above.com/, go to Enter, insert
latitude, longitude, height, time zone; Main Menu (copy URL for future

"To be honest, if the question is "What's that bright thing in the sky in
the evening?" there's almost always only one answer.

But the question might be "What's that other bright thing in the
evening?"

Jupiter can look very bright in the late evening, especially if there's
not much else bright in the visual field.

Iridium flares will be seen as impermanent and moving.

Round here, there are often bright lights in the south-west, comparable
with Venus, which don't change much over a minute or two. Eventually,
though, one can tell that they are heading for Heathrow.

There are sometimes others, presumed hovering over crashes on the A3;
they could possibly be less obvious in nature from further away.

See URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/astron-2.htm#CVS for more.

Old May 27th 07, 11:46 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
OG

"Tim Duke" wrote in message
"To be honest, if the question is "What's that bright thing in the sky
in the evening?" there's almost always only one answer.

The Sun?

In the evening?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evening...ion_of_Evening

I can only imagine what the uncivil definition of Evening would be :-)

Old May 28th 07, 09:20 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Tim Duke

Bright object? Dave B UK Astronomy 7 January 30th 06 08:31 AM
Very bright object.... Jonni UK Astronomy 10 December 25th 05 12:51 AM
Bright object ? Father Time Misc 4 May 7th 04 11:50 AM
What was this bright object? judy Amateur Astronomy 13 March 5th 04 05:59 AM
Newbie question ...Super Bright Star in the western sky tonite Chokenjoker Misc 1 February 11th 04 02:42 AM