X-51A scramjet getting ready to go

Old August 7th 09, 06:41 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Glen Overby[_1_]

Default X-51A scramjet getting ready to go

Derek Lyons wrote:
Pat Flannery wrote:
If I'm doing my math right, and this thing really can go nearly 400
miles in five minutes time, that means it's going at around Mach 6.

Which for first stage performance is downright underwhelming.

The stated purpose was to test a scramjet running on JP7 instead of hydrogen.
This seems like a good research area, whose results could be useful for
building something more useful.

While reading that article I was thinking hypersonic UAV, or something between
a B2 and a Minuteman III.

Glen Overby
Old August 7th 09, 09:42 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Glen Overby wrote:
Derek Lyons wrote:
The stated purpose was to test a scramjet running on JP7 instead of hydrogen.
This seems like a good research area, whose results could be useful for
building something more useful.

While reading that article I was thinking hypersonic UAV, or something between
a B2 and a Minuteman III.

That's pretty much what they have in mind; either a hypersonic unmanned
bomber or in a smaller and less complex version a hypersonic cruise missile.
Another branch of the project looks towards building a rocket equipped
version as a launch system to carry small payloads to orbit, as was
discussed on page 7 of the pdf "me" found:
http://www.js.pentagon.mil/descripti...A/0603287E.pdf

"Falcon
(U) The Falcon program objectives are to develop and demonstrate
hypersonic technologies that
will enable prompt global reach missions. The technologies include high
lift-to-drag techniques, high
temperature materials, precision navigation, guidance, and control,
communications through plasma,
and an autonomous flight safety system. Leveraging technology developed
under the Hypersonic
Flight (HyFly) program, Falcon will address the implications of
hypersonic flight and reusability using
a series of hypersonic technology vehicles (HTVs) to incrementally
demonstrate these required
technologies in flight. The HTV-2 program will demonstrate enabling
hypersonic technologies for future
operational systems through rocket-boosted hypersonic flights with
sufficient cross-range and downrange
performance to evaluate thermal protection systems, aerodynamic shapes,
maneuverability, and longrange
communication for hypersonic cruise and re-entry vehicle applications.
Technologies developed
under Falcon would also allow for a low cost, responsive Small Launch
Vehicle (SLV) capable of launching
small satellites into low earth and sun synchronous orbits and will
provide the nation a new, small payload
access to space capability. The Falcon program addresses many high
priority mission areas and
applications such as global presence and space lift. DARPA established a
Memorandum of Agreement
(MOA) with the Air Force for the HTV-2 program in May 2003 and with NASA
in October 2004. The effort
has been jointly funded with the Office of Secretary of Defense Global
Strike program office in FY 2008
and FY 2009. Falcon capabilities are planned for transition to the Air
Force in FY 2010."

They don't say if the SLV is reusable or expendable.

Pat
Old August 7th 09, 11:25 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Derek Lyons

Glen Overby wrote:

Derek Lyons wrote:
Pat Flannery wrote:
If I'm doing my math right, and this thing really can go nearly 400
miles in five minutes time, that means it's going at around Mach 6.

Which for first stage performance is downright underwhelming.

The stated purpose was to test a scramjet running on JP7 instead of hydrogen.
This seems like a good research area, whose results could be useful for
building something more useful.

True - I was merely illustrating just how much of a gap there is
between this engine and something even minimally useful as a reuseable
first stage. It's a helluva gap, and it's not clear it can be
crossed.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.