Gerstenmaier Out As HEOMD Associate Administrator

Old July 11th 19, 12:22 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default Gerstenmaier Out As HEOMD Associate Administrator

Gerstenmaier Out As Human Exploration and Operations Mission Directorate
Associate Administrator

http://nasawatch.com/archives/2019/0...stenmai-1.html

This is big news. It signals a shakeup within the Human Exploration and
Operations Mission Directorate.

It's quite interesting that Ken Bowersox will replace him, at least in
an "Acting Associate Administrator" role.

Effective immediately, Ken Bowersox will serve as Acting Associate
Administrator for HEO. Bowersox, who previously served as the
Deputy Associate Administrator for HEO, is a retired U.S. Naval
Aviator with more than two decades of experience at NASA. He is
an accomplished astronaut and a veteran of five space shuttle
missions and served as commander on the International Space
Station.

Not mentioned in the article I cite is Bowersox's experience in the
private sector. He spent some time with both SpaceX (as VP of its
Astronaut Safety and Mission Assurance Department from 2009-2012) and
Raytheon (as VP of its Integrated Information Systems Division starting
in 2012).

So, Bowersox brings with him his extensive NASA Astronaut experience
(two flights as Pilot and three flights as Commander) and
executive/management experience in private industry.

Jeff
Old July 11th 19, 02:30 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

Looks as if NASA is getting serious about public/private partnerships.
Gerst was an old school home built kind of guy. Bowersox is definitely
something new. I take this as a positive sign.

Dave

Old July 13th 19, 08:54 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

In article ,
says...

On 2019-07-11 07:22, Jeff Findley wrote:

Effective immediately, Ken Bowersox will serve as Acting Associate
Administrator for HEO. Bowersox, who previously served as the
Deputy Associate Administrator for HEO,

Hos bio appears to make him perfect for the job.

Recently, NASA/govt have refocused SLS to the "Artemis" project and
seemed to have given it more public exposure, even getting Canada to
sign up to help in that project.

I think a year ago, NASA stopped tweeting that SLS/Orion would one day
bring man to Mars. And SLS was getting the "rocket to nowhere" image, so
creating a new name "Artemis" and clear deadlines seem to really refocus
the project.

Look for that to change. Very soon NASA is going to start talking about
Mars again. The whole "first moon then Mars" approach is one that
President Trump is pushing very hard right now. Supposedly the "big
announcement" will be made on the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 moon
landing.

If Gerstenmaier knew Artemis was impossible with budgets and deadline,
it could explain why he is out. But one would have to have a few drinks
with him to find out what the REAL thinking is at NASA with regards to SLS.

If Bowersox is seen as pro-SpaceX, Boeing might lobby senators to not
approve his post (or is this anm internal nomination that does not need
senate aproval ?).

I don't think it's that simple. NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine
knows that SLS is non-negotiable with Congress. I don't expect that to
change until Senator Shelby starts signaling that Alabama can contribute
in other ways to Artemis besides SLS development.

Bringing someone with SpaceX experience also brings on someone who can
read through the Boeing/lockheed lobby bull**** on why things costs so
much and take so much time. And that might prove to be extremely
helpful in getting SLS to fly sooner rather than later since contractors
for SLS would know that NASA might switch to Falcon Heavy to meet the
deadline (even ir it ends up requiring more launches).

His tenure at SpaceX was quite short. It's possible he left because he
wasn't a good fit with the SpaceX way of doing things (i.e. move fast
and break things).

Honestly, I don't know what to think yet.

Jeff