Astronomers spot first ever dark galaxy

Old May 5th 05, 09:41 AM
Raving Loonie

Default Astronomers spot first ever dark galaxy

'An international team of astronomers has discovered what appears to be
a galaxy composed entirely of dark matter. The galaxy, "visible" to
radio telescopes, was first spotted by stargazers using the University
of Manchester's Lovell telescope, and later confirmed by observers at
the Arecibo telescope in Puerto Rico. ...'

See http://tinyurl.com/5r7xs for the full story.

Old May 6th 05, 10:56 AM
Joe Zorzin

But, why is this large amount of dark matter called a galaxy? I thought
galaxies were defined as having millions of stars and having certain other
features. Without stars, how can it be called a galaxy? Perhaps it should be
called something else, no?

Or, maybe it does have extremely complex features but we can't yet detect
them.

--
*************
Joe Zorzin

oups.com...

Old May 7th 05, 12:56 PM
Barkley T Dog

hmmmm
maybe they'll go with 'Dark Galaxy'

it's descriptive
it fits
it's catchy, and seems to be what they're calling it

rumour has it they are to call normal star galaxies 'Milk Galaxy'
if they can get the copyright away from Cadbury

Old May 7th 05, 02:17 PM
Double-A

Raving Loonie wrote:
'An international team of astronomers has discovered what appears to

be
a galaxy composed entirely of dark matter. The galaxy, "visible" to
radio telescopes, was first spotted by stargazers using the

University
of Manchester's Lovell telescope, and later confirmed by observers at
the Arecibo telescope in Puerto Rico. ...'

See http://tinyurl.com/5r7xs for the full story.

A dark galaxy might be more ancient and composed of mostly burnt out
stars which have become black dwarfs. But if that were true, the
universe would have to be much older that the 13.7 billion years the
Big Bang enthusiasts are convinced of.

Double-A

Old May 7th 05, 04:07 PM
Cactus88

"Raving Loonie" wrote in message
oups.com
'An international team of astronomers has discovered what appears to be
a galaxy composed entirely of dark matter. The galaxy, "visible" to
radio telescopes, was first spotted by stargazers using the University
of Manchester's Lovell telescope, and later confirmed by observers at
the Arecibo telescope in Puerto Rico. ...'

See http://tinyurl.com/5r7xs for the full story.

LOL ^ Love that "Artist's impression of the galaxy" illustration. ROFL
Guess what? There is no such thing as a blackhole. The concept
of a blackhole was only created so that THE formula could be solved.
But THE formula remains unsolved. The copout deception couldn't
be kept secret forever. Others independently trying to solve THE
formula were noticing that the blackhole solution did not work.
The brilliant, or lucky, soul who genuinely solves THE formula, will
be treated to a big surprise, or so I've been told. I don't know what f.
{~õ-õ~} thnx 4 the bb, C

Old May 7th 05, 06:05 PM
Twittering One

"Hmmmm
maybe they'll go with 'Dark Galaxy'

it's descriptive
it fits
it's catchy, and seems to be what they're calling it

rumour has it they are to call normal star galaxies
'Milk Galaxy'
if they can get the copyright
Away from Cadbury"
~ Barkley T Dog

"Milk nice."
~ Twittering

Just a Conceit ~ A Charming
Cadbury Bar

"What If ~
The simplest question
Is the one humankind will never

Be able to answer? Why is there
'Something'
Rather than 'nothing?'"
~ Bert

"O Bert! Au contraire ~
Me thinks, yes, a simple answer there."
~ Twittering

*
"Chocolate Easter Buny:
Great Title ~ Fits With Cad ~ Eggs"

[Scene iii]

*

"H=E9, Thee ~ of troop throw me in the air.
My mitt, Stick off!"
~ Twittering

[Sometime about now ~
Stage direction]

The large one
To assemble my play ~

"The Stick"

Played on the grassy field ~ Not,
Certainly, Not, my best play.

But alas, hell, yes!
I will learn the rules.

But this, not, not taught at the Gold Fish School.
Mom Of ~ Of waiting Of The Ilk of Too.

O yes calls me, on my Amndt de UM Hm.
Of ~ Of Telephone!

"Bon jour!"
~ Twittering

"You obtained it?
~ Mum

"Oui, yes m'am!"
~ Twittering

"Sure? Correct, yes, something for
You."
~ Mum

"At all events, thus, as I have said,
'I, yes, I have a bone to dispute ~
I prefer another play, about identical, only better ~
A plaid of Tartan, our Argyle family."
~ Twittering

"Distill ~ A matter does two together
Better."
~ Mum

"'The Light of Enfold With Thee'" ~ Of shade, hold me,
Please, mother. Allow Chiaroscuro,

Your model, I, bathe the Light with Thee,
Form.
~ Twittering

"No other way, no
Would I have it be. Yes, Thee!"
~ Mum

"Train me ~ A shade models the lighter by only the true
Pleasure of your form ~ Mine.
My Mother."
~ Twittering

"Of that mind, yes,
Far before you, before your time, our rhyme,
Indeed, so true,
Have I considered Divine Form for you."
~ Mum

"Pray tell me, please, how so, my dearest,
My lovely, my Mother?!"
~ Twittering

"Non!"
~ Mum

"Ok. Whatever."
~ Twittering

*

[Sometime later ~
Further stage direction]

The spirit + the matter does my letter better, too.
Thus snow. Know thus! My mother knows
the square root, my imaginary number, no rumour.
Any truth. Now, this our infamous,
our celebrated ~
Country of the Wonders of Winter.

~ Ringy
Ding ~ A ~ Ling!

"Thee, Twittering ~ Open
Our door now, to acknowledge!"
~ Mum

[Enter, stage left: John Dunlap,
Thee,
One with the very large member]

"John! Thee! Mon cher ~ Back
So soon from the deade? Two years, only,

Has it been thus, yes? Please, pray tell? Forsooth,
What brings you back so soon to us?"
~ Twittering

"Where Is Leonardo?"
~ John

"Please explain?"
~ Twittering

"The 'Hour to Dart' finished and to be first-run pilot ~
The Film de Pron, of which, I, perform Star!

Of Opening Night Exposure, let, to me=20
Escort you

Old May 7th 05, 06:10 PM
Twittering One

LOL ^ Love that
"Artist's impression of the galaxy"

illustration. ROFL
Guess what?

There is no such thing as a blackhole.
The concept of a blackhole was only created
so that THE formula could be solved.

But THE formula remains unsolved.

The copout deception couldn't
be kept secret forever.

Others independently trying to solve
THE
formula were noticing that the blackhole solution
did not work.

The brilliant, or lucky, soul,
who genuinely solves THE formula, will
be treated to a big surprise, or so I've been told. I don't know what
f=2E
{~=F5-=F5~} thnx 4 the bb."
~ C=20

^oo^

!boo!

Old May 7th 05, 06:18 PM
Twittering One

"The brilliant, or lucky, soul,
Who genuinely solves THE formula, will
Be treated to a big surprise, or so I've been told.

I don't know what f.
{~=F5-=F5~} thnx 4 the bb."
~ Cactus88

"What F ~ stop?
O, the depth of field, you ask?
Your lens, subject to your manual adjustment,
A single ~ lens ~ reflex
Offers you a Grande Perspective, many train stops, too.

Just meet later,
Track 8* ~ !

Hey ~ !"
~ Twittering LSTOO & Folly IAG

~ * ~
Blog, or dog? Who knows.
But if you see my lost pup, please bring him home!
I got Leon a brand-new bone.
_________________
http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo

Old May 7th 05, 07:22 PM
Odysseus

Barkley T Dog wrote:

hmmmm
maybe they'll go with 'Dark Galaxy'

it's descriptive
it fits
it's catchy, and seems to be what they're calling it

rumour has it they are to call normal star galaxies 'Milk Galaxy'
if they can get the copyright away from Cadbury

That would be rather redundant, considering that the word "galaxy"
comes from the Greek for "milk".

--
Odysseus
Old May 7th 05, 09:02 PM
Raving Loonie

Double-A wrote:
Raving Loonie wrote:
'An international team of astronomers has discovered what appears

be
a galaxy composed entirely of dark matter. The galaxy, "visible" to
radio telescopes, was first spotted by stargazers using the

University
of Manchester's Lovell telescope, and later confirmed by observers

at
the Arecibo telescope in Puerto Rico. ...'

See http://tinyurl.com/5r7xs for the full story.

A dark galaxy might be more ancient and composed of mostly burnt out
stars which have become black dwarfs. But if that were true, the
universe would have to be much older that the 13.7 billion years the
Big Bang enthusiasts are convinced of.

Double-A

Dark matter?

O.K. so it's supposed to be less reflective of visible light.
How would radio astronomy help? Wouldn't dark matter also adsorb in the
rf bandwidth?

.... So its a cloud that occludes.
Ordinary and dark matter could both do that ...

What is the trick for detecting it? .... specular reflection?