Filters

Old July 20th 03, 12:41 PM
John Beaderstadt

Default Filters

I've posted similar messages in reply, but Julian's post about the
level of crap in the group made me think this deserves its very own
thread and Subject.

I seem to have succeeded in eliminating virtually all flames, spam and
sporgeries from my newsreader, not just in ssh, but in all my
subscribed groups. My newsreader's (Forte Agent) own killfiles take
out individual persistent flamers. Spammers and sporgers are dealt
with by a dedicated usenet filtering program called News Proxy (aka
nfilter), which accommodates Regular Expressions. REs do take a
little getting used to, but I was able to write effective filters just
by adapting the included examples. You can filter on virtually
anything in the header; to filter out those with morphing IDs, for
instance, you can filter on the Path statement, looking for their
server. NP works invisibly in the background; once it and your
newsreader are configured, you can put NP in your system tray and
forget it exists.

Here's the News Proxy FAQ, from which you can link to the download and
other pages: http://www.nfilter.org/faq.html

Here are the only two filters I've had to write for NP:

* drop xref:*:*:*:*

* drop Path:*gilgamesh*
* drop Path:*dizum.com*
* drop Path:*anonymous*
* drop Path:*remailer*

#1 takes out anything posted to more than two groups. #2 is written
to take out anything where the Path includes specific anonymous
remailers. So far, #2 hasn't been tested yet, apparently because
those who use remailers like to crosspost, as well, so #1 has
collaterally knocked out 100% of everything that has been remailed.

The tools exist, folks!

---------------
Beady's Corollary to Occam's Razor: "The likeliest explanation of any phenomenon is almost always the most boring."
Old July 21st 03, 11:59 AM
Julian Bordas

The tools exist, folks!

Thanks John, You're an angel!!
Julian Bordas

"It's not like I'm using.
It's just that my body's developed
this severe drug drug deficiency"
Neuromancer

Just How Blind is the Human Race? David Hamilton Policy 32 July 22nd 04 06:35 AM
Cassini filters Andrew Gray Science 3 July 5th 04 08:54 AM
Brad Guth is...... Brad Guth Policy 18 February 18th 04 05:03 PM
Spirit color wheel not being used? Conan Ford Science 13 January 26th 04 04:13 PM
Any legal basis to take Maxson down? Chuck Stewart Space Shuttle 55 August 16th 03 12:33 PM