Bye-bye spacesuits, hello crew bags.

Old July 25th 10, 12:12 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Default Bye-bye spacesuits, hello crew bags.

New Russian concept for crew protection:
http://rt.com/Sci_Tech/2010-06-21/no...osmonauts.html

Pat
Old July 25th 10, 01:37 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Val Kraut

I hope they at least have a handle on the top, so when something goes wrong
and the Space-Sea Rescue team of the Solar Guard shows up they can easily
carry the egg to safety on their patrol ship. Or at least enough room you
can kiss your A** goodbye and slowly die in peace..

ne...

Old July 25th 10, 08:41 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

On 7/24/2010 4:37 PM, Val Kraut wrote:
I hope they at least have a handle on the top, so when something goes wrong
and the Space-Sea Rescue team of the Solar Guard shows up they can easily
carry the egg to safety on their patrol ship. Or at least enough room you
can kiss your A** goodbye and slowly die in peace..

An early US attempt at the concept:
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2006/...wear-in-space/

Pat
Old July 25th 10, 11:59 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Val Kraut

When they said egg, I imediately thought of a rescue unit discussed in the
early shuttle design stages. There were the days of $10Million per launch,
50 launches a year. A shuttle malfunctions. another shuttle pulls up along
side. They don't have a full set of spacesuits - so the crew of the dssabled
unit are placed in bags or eggs and sent along a line to the rescur shuttle.
Like a transfer betwen ships at sea.

Old July 27th 10, 12:38 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Mike DiCenso

On Jul 24, 4:12*pm, Pat Flannery wrote:
New Russian concept for crew protection:http://rt.com/Sci_Tech/2010-06-21/no...osmonauts.html

Pat

Like with Klipper or anything else the Russians keep trotting out
every few years, I'll believe it when I see them actually make
something and put it into full production.
-Mike
Old July 27th 10, 02:59 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Alan Erskine[_3_]

On 25/07/2010 5:41 PM, Pat Flannery wrote:
On 7/24/2010 4:37 PM, Val Kraut wrote:
I hope they at least have a handle on the top, so when something goes
wrong
and the Space-Sea Rescue team of the Solar Guard shows up they can easily
carry the egg to safety on their patrol ship. Or at least enough room you
can kiss your A** goodbye and slowly die in peace..

An early US attempt at the concept:
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2006/...wear-in-space/

Pat

Why do space suits have feet and legs? There's a deep-sea suit, similar
to the JIM that has no feet or legs.
Old July 27th 10, 03:01 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Alan Erskine[_3_]

On 25/07/2010 9:12 AM, Pat Flannery wrote:
New Russian concept for crew protection:
http://rt.com/Sci_Tech/2010-06-21/no...osmonauts.html

Pat

I seem to remember a similar idea for the shuttle in the '70's/'80's,
but it was dropped.
Old July 27th 10, 09:32 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

On 7/26/2010 3:38 PM, Mike DiCenso wrote:

Like with Klipper or anything else the Russians keep trotting out
every few years, I'll believe it when I see them actually make
something and put it into full production.

Meanwhile, back in Moscow, the monitors of the Mars Confinement
Experiment have realized that the reason the international crew of
volunteers hasn't communicated with them for two days is due to the
murder and cannibalism starting.
"Do you have any idea what it's like to eat dehydrated turnips
twenty-one times a week?" stated Yuri Jagovalot: "We our Russians; we
need fresh and tasty meat."
Vladamir Putin has been reported as stating: "Many went in...one...well
fed...and powerful...shall emerge...he shall command the Mars flight, as
I command Russia."
On the Klingon home world of Kronos, the Emperor raised a blood wine
toast in Putin's honor, stating that "This has opened a new era in
Klingon-Russian relations." ;-)

Pat

Old July 27th 10, 10:00 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

On 7/26/2010 5:59 PM, Alan Erskine wrote:

Why do space suits have feet and legs? There's a deep-sea suit, similar
to the JIM that has no feet or legs.

Because, just like spinning circular space stations, that's the way IT'S
SUPPOSED TO BE!
The outside of the spaceship is made of steel, and you stick down to it
with your magnetic boots as you walk around on it.
Surprisingly, it wasn't von Braun, but Disney Studios that realized that
legs on a zero-G astronaut were just about worthless, and came up with
the far-more-logical "Bottle Suit" concept.*
The Bottle Suit in action; this is probably the origin of the "Space
Pod" in "2001":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCK3q...eature=related

*Although if you think I'm about to stick a red-fuming-nitric-acid and
hydrazine pipe inside of a few inches of my head so they can power a
rocket engine sitting atop my skull, you've got another thought coming. :-D
Still though, the thing is a full-pressure hard suit, and that makes it
miles ahead of our current technology, as there is no danger of getting
the bends while using it...unlike our current low-pressure pure O2
spacesuits which require prebreathing O2 for around an hour to wash the
nitrogen out of your blood.

Pat

Old July 27th 10, 10:12 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

On 7/26/2010 6:01 PM, Alan Erskine wrote:
On 25/07/2010 9:12 AM, Pat Flannery wrote:
New Russian concept for crew protection:
http://rt.com/Sci_Tech/2010-06-21/no...osmonauts.html

Pat

I seem to remember a similar idea for the shuttle in the '70's/'80's,
but it was dropped.

The zip-up rescue cage-ball bags:
http://www.astronautix.com/craft/reseball.htm
You wrapped yourself up in there like a fetus in the womb, and hoped
they would get to another Shuttle before your air ran out.

Pat