Mars Rovers Should Have Landing TV Cameras (very important)

Old September 2nd 03, 09:14 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

David Thanks On TV it seemed they were trying a new type landing. I can
think of many ways for gentle landings. I can drop an egg of a 500 ft
building and you would be able to serve it sunny side up. Bert

Old September 4th 03, 03:33 PM
beavith

snip

in this case the engineering labs are subscribing to the KISS
principle.

I usually don't bother with Bert the nut threads...but you are wrong
beavith.

hehe. me neither...

Airbags take precise timing of events as well.

that was the one of the timing issues that i mentioned and the fact
that it isn't THAT simple.
however they get there, its still an engineering marvel, undoubtedly.

The reason we are currently using that system is it was successfully
with Pathfinder. If Mars Polar Lander(MPL) had not failed in some way
we would have used the hydrazine thrusters (Viking Heritage) for the
two rovers. It gives you a smaller and better positioned landing
ellipses.

i was under the impression, possibly mistaken, that this mission was
to "pick up the slack" caused by the failure of MPL.

The new scout mission Phoenix Lander set for 07 could be
called the sister ship to MPL and it will land on thrusters hopefully
putting this "problem" to rest.

it can't come soon enough...

--Chris Vancil