My first telescope, image supposed to be inverted?

Old September 3rd 03, 09:09 PM
David Knisely

Hi there. You posted:

I'm sure there is a way to fix it, I personally don't know how. The reason
I said, "I read" is because, I never say something "Can't be done!"
However, this is what I found on celestron's FAQ page:
http://www.celestron.com/support/faq_114gt.htm#114A1

Q: How do I get an erect image in my eyepiece?

A: Unfortunately, the inverted image cannot be corrected on Newtonian
style telescopes. These were designed for astronomical use, where an
inverted image is not an issue. Only refractor style scopes can be corrected
for terrestrial use. Binoculars and spotting scopes are simply small
refractor telescopes that have erecting prisms built-in.

This is somewhat inaccurate. A Newtonian's image can be corrected using an
"image erector" placed in the focuser (see ALL ABOUT TELESCOPES by Sam Brown
for all the details on how to make one). However, there is really no need to
do this, as again, there is no real "up" or "down" in space. The Newtonian
was designed primarily as an astronomical instrument, although by looking
through one with the eyepiece upwards and the top of your head pointing
towards the back of the telescope, the image will seem nearly "upright".
Clear skies to you.
--
David W. Knisely
Prairie Astronomy Club:

* July 27-Aug. 1st, 2003, Merritt Reservoir *
* http://www.NebraskaStarParty.org *