Dittemore speaks

Old January 31st 04, 01:09 AM
ElleninLosAngeles

Default Dittemore speaks

"Ron Dittemore, the space shuttle program manager who took the most
dramatic public fall, remains emotionally scarred one year later. He
left NASA and now holds a low-profile aerospace job in Utah."

"After repeatedly delaying previous shuttle launches for all sorts of
reasons, he wonders what it was that prevented him and others from
seeing the risk in the piece of foam that broke off and hit the
shuttle wing. "Why didn't the hair stand up on your neck?" he asks
himself."

"Dittemore, the former shuttle program manager, refuses to discuss
NASA's culture or whether his departure was essential. He doesn't care
to rehash the past, saying he prefers looking to the future.
He is, however, one of the few to readily accept full responsibility
for the tragedy.
"It doesn't get any easier as the time passes, because I still focus
on seven families, and what did we miss to allow such a tragedy to
occur," Dittemore says."

Link to the article by the Associated Press:
http://www.tcpalm.com/tcp/wptv/artic...611194,00.html

-Ellen
Old January 31st 04, 02:59 AM
Hallerb

"Ron Dittemore, the space shuttle program manager who took the most
dramatic public fall, remains emotionally scarred one year later. He

I really respect his honesty and candor. Too bad the others and they agency
havent been quite as honest.

Specifically O Keefe should of demanded resignations or fired all the managers
directly responsible. Moving them to other jobs is inexcusable and if Bush
doesnt get reelected I HOPE the new president does a house cleaning of nasa
brass/

Not removing the screw ups means the agency still doesnt get it.
Old January 31st 04, 02:40 PM
Brian Gaff

"Hallerb" wrote in message

| "Ron Dittemore, the space shuttle program manager who took the most
| dramatic public fall, remains emotionally scarred one year later. He
|
| I really respect his honesty and candor. Too bad the others and they
agency
| havent been quite as honest.
|
| Specifically O Keefe should of demanded resignations or fired all the
managers
| directly responsible. Moving them to other jobs is inexcusable and if Bush
| doesnt get reelected I HOPE the new president does a house cleaning of
nasa
| brass/
|
| Not removing the screw ups means the agency still doesnt get it.
Not sure I agree with this. After all, people do change, and nobody said
they did not get it did they? I'd think that someone who has screwed up
could be a valuable check and balance if used in that way by the next
generations doing the job.

My worry is that their unfortunate expertise will not be used, and mistakes
occur again.

Sounds to me as if the enquiry may have actually had some kind of subtext in
which the Shuttle is now understood to be old, out of date and impossible to
make as safe as we need it in today's climate. I guess perspectives change
and we expect more than we used to. I have a feeling though, that space
travel will always be a risky business, so maybe we are going to have to
accept that or not send men and women out there.

Brian

--
Brian Gaff....
Email:

Old February 1st 04, 12:53 AM
Kent Betts

This story has more spin on it than a Streisand album at Barbara WaWa's
house.

Old February 2nd 04, 12:42 AM
ElleninLosAngeles

"Kent Betts" wrote in message ...
This story has more spin on it than a Streisand album at Barbara WaWa's
house.

What didn't you like about it?
-Ellen
Old February 2nd 04, 08:21 AM
Kent Betts

The story is a re-hash of the events....mostly a re-hash of the most
emotional aspects. This is Oprah Winfrey journalism. As far as "Dittemore
Speaks", he mostly gives the impression that he would prefer not to be
bothered by reporters trying to engage him in a sob story. Okay it was
sad.....the tendency of women to dwell on the emotional aspects of any event
is the main reason men prefer not to deal with *most* women on a
professional level. I mean when your trying to figure out a business deal
or a technical problem or a software fix and some [moronic] broad is trying
to tell you how cute her second cousin's next door neighbor's nephew was
when he got his new teddy bear.......but hey you dig it, I don't, so no
skin of anyone's ass.

Old February 2nd 04, 04:17 PM
Tony Sivori

Kent Betts wrote:
[...]
the tendency of women to dwell on the emotional
aspects of any event is the main reason men prefer not to deal with
*most* women on a professional level. I mean when your trying to figure
out a business deal or a technical problem or a software fix and some
[moronic] broad is trying to tell you how cute her second cousin's next
door neighbor's nephew was when he got his new teddy bear.......but hey
you dig it, I don't, so no skin of anyone's ass.

That's just payback for all the times she endured the "[moronic]" wit
from her Neanderthal male coworkers about her nice cans, and how heaven
must be missing an angel, because it sure is hot in here.

--
Tony Sivori

Old February 2nd 04, 07:56 PM
Kent Betts

hahaha......touche'

Old February 19th 04, 09:45 AM
J. Waggoner

"Tony Sivori" wrote in message
news
Kent Betts wrote:
[...]
the tendency of women to dwell on the emotional
aspects of any event is the main reason men prefer not to deal with
*most* women on a professional level. I mean when your trying to figure
out a business deal or a technical problem or a software fix and some
[moronic] broad is trying to tell you how cute her second cousin's next
door neighbor's nephew was when he got his new teddy bear.......but hey
you dig it, I don't, so no skin of anyone's ass.

That's just payback for all the times she endured the "[moronic]" wit
from her Neanderthal male coworkers about her nice cans, and how heaven
must be missing an angel, because it sure is hot in here.

--
Tony Sivori

Hey post a pic so we can judge I'm gonna say a 6 just based on her
comments--- !!!! Bring it on.. Cans and all. A guys got to have a
little entertainment at work, we just can't talk about it in front of the
girls "mostly" anymore.