Implications of Finding a Higgs Boson

Old March 15th 13, 08:01 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Ben[_3_]

Default Implications of Finding a Higgs Boson

On Friday, March 15, 2013 3:16:07 AM UTC-4, Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway wrote:
"Ben" wrote in message

On Friday, March 15, 2013 1:37:20 AM UTC-4, Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of

Medway wrote:

"Ben" wrote in message

I'm still not convinced that matter is not infinitely divisible

You have a computer, what is two in binary?

0010

Ok, what is half of two in binary?

0001

Ok, what is half of one in binary?

0000.1

Ok, what is half of that in binary?

0000.01

Ok, what is half of that in binary?

0000.001

Ok, what is half of that in binary?

0000.0001

and so on ...

0000.0000000000000000000000000000001

Ok, but your computer only holds 32 bits.

What is half of that in binary?

0

Either go to double floating point precision or get a 64-bit computer.

If matter is infinitely divisible how many bits will your

computer need to record half the smallest divisible bit?

Clear Thoughts,

-- This message is brought to you from the keyboard of

Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway.

When the fools chicken farmer Wilson and Van de faggot present an argument

cannot laugh at I'll retire from usenet.

I've got a 64 bit computer and that illustrates the problem. From time to

time we build even larger, more cumbersome machinery to peer out farther or

down deeper. Eventually more powerful accelerators will be built to smash

down particles to ever smaller degrees. Then some savant from the local

university comes along and attaches a *name* to the result and the whole

shooting match degenerates into an exercise in nominalism.

Nominalism and mechanistic materialism have been hanging around together for

a couple of hundred years and it leaves me with a creepy feeling that

somehow we are on the wrong track. But maybe not. A 128 bit computer may

be in order.

=======================================

If you don't give it a name it doesn't exist.

There's an awful lot of baggage here that can be traced back to the medieval universities; namely the conflict between *nominalism* and *realism* and the former won out hands down. But then precisely what is meant by the term "exist". This is where Heidegger started off in _Being_and_Time with a long quote from Plato's Sophists. The Greeks had two words for "I am", *hyparcho* and *eimi*. The former pertains to objects and the latter was used personally although they were also used interchangeably to some extent. Alas, Ontology recapitulates Philology.

If we place x'=x-vt, it is clear that a point at rest in the system k must

have a system of values x', y, z, independent of time. -- Einstein

xi = (x-vt)/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2) -- Einstein.

K is the stationary frame to which x belongs.

k is the moving frame to which x' belongs.

What is the name of the other moving frame, different to k, to which xi

belongs?

Attempting to use mathematics to describe a physical world requires a

mathematician, not a prominent theoretical physicist idiot like Einstein.

All theories break down. Eventually relativity will be replaced by something else. (Jakob Brownowski) Though relativity seems to be on a roll right now I'm sure it too will be eventually replaced. But if xi has no real reference frame then it couldn't exist as a real construct. But what does this mean? The formula seems to be consistent with the rest but its a little like saying 0!=1.
(Which is also consistent.)

-- This message is brought to you from the keyboard of

Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway.

When the fools chicken farmer Wilson and Van de faggot present an argument I

cannot laugh at I'll retire from usenet.

Old March 15th 13, 08:37 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Ben[_3_]

On Friday, March 15, 2013 3:49:28 AM UTC-4, Thad Floryan wrote:
On 3/14/2013 9:34 PM, Ben wrote:

I'm still not convinced that matter is not infinitely divisible ...

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap120312.html

or

http://htwins.net/scale2/scale2.swf?bordercolor=white

Yes, Thad I've posted the same link and I think it is a pretty piece of work. I'm still trying to get my head around "quantum foam" though.
Old March 15th 13, 07:14 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway[_8_]

Medway wrote:

"Ben" wrote in message

[...]

Newtonian Mechanics didn't need to be replaced by relativity as it isn't
broken. Relativity was broken at the outset and no amount of fudging and
tweaking
is ever going to fix it. The LHC slams two hadrons together with a closing
speed of 2c and pretending that is less than c is ridiculous and serves no
useful purpose. If Hadron A is considered at rest then Hadron B has a
velocity of 2c and a relative energy of 1/2 m(2c)^2 = 1/2m4c^2 = 2mc^2
which is what is expected. KE = 1/2 mv^2, double the speed and get 4 times
the energy.
xi is greater than x' and the fools call it "Lorentz contraction".

Old April 25th 13, 07:25 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Ben[_3_]

Medway wrote:

[...]

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, General Relativity chalks up another on with the ESO. I wonder how much it has left in before serious cracks start appearing in its foundations.
http://www.eso.org/public/news/eso1319/
Old April 25th 13, 07:36 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mike Collins[_4_]

Medway wrote:

"Ben" wrote in message

[...]

Don't you read the links you post?

“Our radio observations were so precise that we have already been able to
measure a change in the orbital period of 8 millionths of a second per
year, exactly what Einstein’s theory predicts,†states Paulo Freire,
another team member.
Old April 25th 13, 07:39 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway[_9_]

Medway wrote:

"Ben" wrote in message

[...]

================================
That goobledegook has no equations, no empirical data and says nothing, you
stupid bigot.

Old April 25th 13, 07:47 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Ben[_3_]

wrote:
"Ben"* wrote in message

On Friday, March 15, 2013 3:16:07 AM UTC-4, Lord

Androcles,
Zeroth Earl of

Medway wrote:

Medway wrote:

"Ben"* wrote in message

I'm still not convinced that matter is not

infinitely divisible

You have a computer, what is two in binary?

0010

Ok, what is half of two in binary?

0001

Ok, what is half of one in binary?

0000.1

Ok, what is half of that in binary?

0000.01

Ok, what is half of that in

binary?

0000.001

Ok, what is half

of
that in binary?

[...]

cannot

laugh at
I'll retire from usenet.

*

--
This message is brought to you from the keyboard of
Lord Androcles,

I understand that. I would really like to see the data, you pompous fop.
Old April 25th 13, 07:53 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mike Collins[_4_]

[...]

Of course I do. I read this one also:
http://www.skyandtelescope.com/news/...204701641.html

Which also points out that no serious cracks have appeared.
Old April 25th 13, 08:02 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Ben[_3_]

Medway wrote:

"Ben" wrote in message

[...]

Well that was my point. Sorry if you misunderstood my jargon there. It's really quite amazing accuracy if the study holds up under replication.