Implications of Finding a Higgs Boson

Old March 15th 13, 04:34 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Ben[_3_]

Default Implications of Finding a Higgs Boson

I'm still not convinced that matter is not infinitely divisible as Wheeler posited in his book on Black Holes. Any way http://news.yahoo.com/6-implications...165320240.html

Clear Skies,
Ben
Old March 15th 13, 05:05 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Ben:
I'm still not convinced that matter is not infinitely divisible as Wheeler
posited in his book on Black Holes.

Alrighty, then. We who are not qualified to devise these theories
ourselves tend to choose the theories of others that satisfy our
peculiar prejudices. I have a bias against infinities, particularly if
it is posited that almost inconceivably small particles are made of an
infinite number of ever-smaller particles.

Any way
http://news.yahoo.com/6-implications...e-165320240.ht
ml

This is CERN's umpteenth confirmation that the Higgs boson has been
found. It follows by three days NASA's umpteenth confirmation that Mars
once had the right conditions for life. Ho, hum. Bring on the
gravitons! I was promised gravitons! Where's the dark matter? What
happened to the dark energy?

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old March 15th 13, 05:37 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway[_8_]

"Ben" wrote in message

I'm still not convinced that matter is not infinitely divisible

You have a computer, what is two in binary?
0010
Ok, what is half of two in binary?
0001
Ok, what is half of one in binary?
0000.1
Ok, what is half of that in binary?
0000.01
Ok, what is half of that in binary?
0000.001
Ok, what is half of that in binary?
0000.0001
and so on ...
0000.0000000000000000000000000000001
Ok, but your computer only holds 32 bits.
What is half of that in binary?
0
Either go to double floating point precision or get a 64-bit computer.
If matter is infinitely divisible how many bits will your
computer need to record half the smallest divisible bit?

Clear Thoughts,

-- This message is brought to you from the keyboard of
Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway.
When the fools chicken farmer Wilson and Van de faggot present an argument I
cannot laugh at I'll retire from usenet.

Old March 15th 13, 06:28 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Ben[_3_]

On Friday, March 15, 2013 1:05:12 AM UTC-4, Davoud wrote:
Ben:

[...]

Yeah, we were promised gravitons. Where are they?
Old March 15th 13, 06:40 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Ben[_3_]

On Friday, March 15, 2013 1:37:20 AM UTC-4, Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway wrote:
"Ben" wrote in message

[...]

I've got a 64 bit computer and that illustrates the problem. From time to time we build even larger, more cumbersome machinery to peer out farther or down deeper. Eventually more powerful accelerators will be built to smash down particles to ever smaller degrees. Then some savant from the local university comes along and attaches a *name* to the result and the whole shooting match degenerates into an exercise in nominalism.

Nominalism and mechanistic materialism have been hanging around together for a couple of hundred years and it leaves me with a creepy feeling that somehow we are on the wrong track. But maybe not. A 128 bit computer may be in order.
Old March 15th 13, 06:43 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_1_]

On Mar 15, 12:34*am, Ben wrote:
I'm still not convinced that matter is not infinitely divisible as Wheeler posited in his book on Black Holes. *Any wayhttp://news.yahoo.com/6-implications-finding-higgs-boson-particle-165...

Clear Skies,
Ben

Likely, it is more divisible than they think, they just haven't
advanced theories enough yet. As was the case when atoms were the
smallest, then protons, neutrons, electrons, etc.
Old March 15th 13, 06:56 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sjouke Burry[_3_]

Ben wrote in
:

http://news.yahoo.com/6-implications...on-particle-16

--

I agree with almost everything that you have said and almost
everything that

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm

Yeah, we were promised gravitons. Where are they?

Pulling at your legs......
Old March 15th 13, 07:15 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Ben[_3_]

On Friday, March 15, 2013 2:56:23 AM UTC-4, Sjouke Burry wrote:
Ben wrote in

:

[...]

Hahahahahahaaaaaa
Old March 15th 13, 07:16 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Medway wrote:
"Ben" wrote in message

[...]

=======================================
If you don't give it a name it doesn't exist.

If we place x'=x-vt, it is clear that a point at rest in the system k must
have a system of values x', y, z, independent of time. -- Einstein
xi = (x-vt)/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2) -- Einstein.

K is the stationary frame to which x belongs.
k is the moving frame to which x' belongs.
What is the name of the other moving frame, different to k, to which xi
belongs?

Attempting to use mathematics to describe a physical world requires a
mathematician, not a prominent theoretical physicist idiot like Einstein.

Old March 15th 13, 07:49 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Thad Floryan

On 3/14/2013 9:34 PM, Ben wrote:
I'm still not convinced that matter is not infinitely divisible ...

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap120312.html

or

http://htwins.net/scale2/scale2.swf?bordercolor=white