Please help me ID what I saw on Discovery Wings

Old April 26th 04, 03:16 PM
Charles Samardza

Default Please help me ID what I saw on Discovery Wings

I seam to recall that, it was one of the tests for the 'Brilliant
pebbles' space based ABM system from the 80's.

(EVD) wrote in message e.com...
I am going to describe something I saw on Discovery Wings and I hope you
can help identify it. It was footage of an experiment that was not
fully described in the story on use of satellites to assist allied
soldiers in wartime.

Here is what I saw.

A device, which I can only describe as resembling an automobile
transmission, had what appeared to be 4 rocket exhaust nozzles mounted
around the circumference about mid-body pointing radially from the
centerline one at each 90 degrees (one pointing down, one up, one left,
one right). There also appeared to be several much smaller rocket
nozzles at one end of device pointing away from the centerline.

So now the experiment begins. The video tape is running and you hear a
countdown. At zero, the entire device (again, picture an auto
transmission with its long dimension oriented horizontally) leaps into
the air and hangs there in a hover as the rocket nozzle pointed down
fires in a pulsing fashion; looking almost like a machine gun muzzle.
The left and right pointing nozzles fire periodically as if to steady
the "aircraft" while the smaller nozzles at the end of the thing fire
smaller jets up, down, left, right to stabilize it. Then as the rockets
all fire in a particular rapid sequence, the device rotates along its
length by 90 degrees in a roll and one of the nozzles that had
originally been pointing out to the side is now pointing down and it
takes on the role of being the primary provider of lift as it fires
spectacularly in a pulsing fashion. You hear the voice in the
background calling out "hover", "rotate", "hover" as this thing goes
through its maneuvers. Finally after either all planned moves are
completed or the fuel is exhausted, all rocket motors shut off and the
thing falls into a net. Cheers can be heard from the guys conducting
the flight test.

I don't know if you can even begin to visualize what I am trying to
describe here but I must say this few seconds of footage is one of the
most spectacular flight tests I have ever seen.

My question is, what was this thing? Surely, someone out there has seen
this footage as I, an avid watcher of Discovery Wings, have seen it more
than once. Thanks for clearing this question up for me. If this
footage happens to be posted on a web site somewhere, share the address!
Thanks!

Old April 26th 04, 05:27 PM
Philip

EVD wrote:
[...]

Sounds like a pulse detonation engine. But for hovering?

Old April 26th 04, 11:25 PM
Steven Kasow

In article ,
EVD wrote:

I am going to describe something I saw on Discovery Wings and I hope you
can help identify it.

A device, which I can only describe as resembling an automobile
transmission, had what appeared to be 4 rocket exhaust nozzles mounted

[...]
through its maneuvers. Finally after either all planned moves are
completed or the fuel is exhausted, all rocket motors shut off and the
thing falls into a net. Cheers can be heard from the guys conducting
the flight test.

My question is, what was this thing? Surely, someone out there has seen
this footage as I, an avid watcher of Discovery Wings, have seen it more
than once. Thanks for clearing this question up for me. If this
footage happens to be posted on a web site somewhere, share the address!

I've believe I saw a bit of footage on TV resembling what you
describe, although much shorter, and if I recall correctly, it was
identified as some sort of prototype of a kinetic interceptor ("smart
rock" or "brilliant pebble") that was developed as part of the Star
Wars program for intercepting ballistic missiles. Sorry I don't have
any more detail or more conclusive information. Nor do I have any idea
where to find a video of this on the web.

cheers,

Steven

--

"M-Theory is the unifying pachyderm of the five string theories."
- Brian Greene, _The Elegant Universe_
Old April 26th 04, 11:58 PM
Gordon D. Pusch

Philip writes:

EVD wrote:
[...]

No, just a pulsed engine. (Hypergolic ACS thrusters are normally fired
in a series of short bursts, rather than continuously, because they are
usually radiatively cooled rather than regeneratively cooled, and also
because it is easier to achieve precise control via "pulsed" firings
than via a continuous burn.)

-- Gordon D. Pusch

perl -e '$_ = \n"; s/NO\.//; s/SPAM\.//; print;'

Old April 27th 04, 01:07 AM
Christopher M. Jones

(EVD) wrote in message e.com...
[snip]
[...]

I believe that was a demonstrator or prototype of some sort
for one of the various exo-atmospheric kinetic kill vehicles
developed for anti-ballistic missiled defense. It's not an
aircraft nor meant to be used on the ground. It's meant to
operate in space, it has very high-powered thrusters to
enable it to intercept a ballistic missile (which tend to
move rather rapidly). I'm not sure why they tested it like
that, probably just to have some neat footage to show off.

Also, I think the odd shape is due to the IR sensor
package, which needs to be kept cold. Thus they put it
in a dewar flask filled with cryogenic coolant (likely
liquid nitrogen) and place a window at the opening.
More modern designs are slightly diffirent but usually
similar.
Old April 27th 04, 03:34 AM
EVD

Default Thanks Everyone - Please help me ID what I saw on Discovery Wings

Thanks for the help everyone; I am sure you are right in that it was an
EKV.

In article ,
says...