NASA's Ares I-X Rocket Completes Successful Flight Test

Old October 29th 09, 04:46 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Default NASA's Ares I-X Rocket Completes Successful Flight Test

Jeff Findley wrote:

NASA'S ARES I-X ROCKET COMPLETES SUCCESSFUL FLIGHT TEST

As I expected, this press release didn't mention any potential problems
encountered during the flight.

It could well have been written before the flight. ;-)

I wonder how long it will take to look at the flight data and determine exactly what happened during the SRB and upper
stage separation and what that press release will read like?

Here's NASA animation showing how the separation was supposed to go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZfrxUgZSuM
Note the four separation rockets on the simulated upper stage firing at
around the 45 second mark; if one of those didn't fire, that would
indeed cause it to swing around 180 degrees under the thrust of the
other three.
There's a unexplained dent on the bottom segment of the recovered SRB
BTW: http://news.cnet.com/8301-19514_3-10385536-239.html

Pat
Old October 29th 09, 05:44 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Derek Lyons

Pat Flannery wrote:

Here's NASA animation showing how the separation was supposed to go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZfrxUgZSuM
Note the four separation rockets on the simulated upper stage firing at
around the 45 second mark; if one of those didn't fire, that would
indeed cause it to swing around 180 degrees under the thrust of the
other three.

That's the it was 'supposed to go' in a universe where the USS had
seperation rockets. We don't live in that universe.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

http://derekl1963.livejournal.com/

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Old October 29th 09, 06:11 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)[_484_]

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
dakotatelephone...

There's a unexplained dent on the bottom segment of the recovered SRB BTW:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-19514_3-10385536-239.html

Pat

Gotta love some of the comments:
"This type of proven space travel is 40 times safer than the outdated Space
Shuttle..."

Oh really? 40 times safer? Huh? Wonder where he pulled that number from.

--
Greg Moore
Ask me about lily, an RPI based CMC.

Old October 30th 09, 04:48 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Derek Lyons

"Jonathan" wrote:

"Jeff Findley" wrote in message

NASA'S ARES I-X ROCKET COMPLETES SUCCESSFUL FLIGHT TEST

As I expected, this press release didn't mention any potential problems
encountered during the flight. I wonder how long it will take to look at the
flight data and determine exactly what happened during the SRB and upper stage
separation and what that press release will read like?

It should read...NASA's new man-rated rocket, on it's first launch, would've
killed the crew, had there been one.

It's extraordinarily unlikely the crew would have been killed.

D.

Old October 30th 09, 05:09 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Pat Flannery wrote:

There's a unexplained dent on the bottom segment of the recovered SRB
BTW: http://news.cnet.com/8301-19514_3-10385536-239.html

_Big_ dent; could have been parachute problems, photo and articles he
http://nasawatch.com/archives/2009/1...1-x-first.html

Pat
Old October 30th 09, 05:23 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Pat Flannery wrote:
_Big_ dent; could have been parachute problems, photo and articles he
http://nasawatch.com/archives/2009/1...1-x-first.html

Parachute problems; one chute only partially deployed, then collapsed.
It may then have whipped around, partially deflating another of the
chutes: http://www.spaceflightnow.com/ares1x/091029dent/

Pat
Old October 30th 09, 06:02 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)[_486_]

"Jonathan" wrote in message

"Jeff Findley" wrote in message

NASA'S ARES I-X ROCKET COMPLETES SUCCESSFUL FLIGHT TEST

As I expected, this press release didn't mention any potential problems
encountered during the flight. I wonder how long it will take to look at
the
flight data and determine exactly what happened during the SRB and upper
stage
separation and what that press release will read like?

It should read...NASA's new man-rated rocket, on it's first launch,
would've
killed the crew, had there been one.

Very unlikely. The event, while not great, doesn't appear to have been all
that violent. Most likely there would have been an abort, a rough ride, and
water landing.

Remember the first flight of the shuttle? What would they be
saying if that flight had similar...."dynamical issues at staging"?
Would they be high-fiving each other and claiming complete
success?

Remember the first flight of the shuttle and the issues it had on re-entry?
In that case having a crew onboard probably helped save it.