Back Room ...

Old May 15th 05, 05:53 PM
David Lesher

rk writes:

Happenned to run into this shot of one of the back rooms.

http://klabs.org/history/apollo_11_a...e/garman_3.jpg

Gasp! I see at least 2 people not wearing ties..

Is that a camera hanging down?

--
A host is a host from coast to
Old May 15th 05, 06:06 PM
David Lesher

http://klabs.org/DEI/References/general/iliff/fig_8.jpg

http://klabs.org/history/apollo_11_a...e/garman_3.jpg

Note that the back room had good Plantronics headsets, where as the
poor folks had the really bulky old WECO ones...

At one point, LeRC got a movie from HQ that the Soviet Embassy had
sent around. It showed a launch at Baikonur, and I noticed everyone
there was wearing a Plantronics MS-50 or knockoff there of...

--
A host is a host from coast to
Old May 15th 05, 06:13 PM
David Lesher

Peter Smith writes:

Probably Canada Resin #39 in '72. Polycarbonate optical lenses were
introduced in about '83 and became more mainstream by the mid '90s.
They are a great lens with refractive index of 1.59 (compared to 1.50 in
glass or CR39), but they still have a little more chromatic dispersion
ie a lower Abbe number.

And you now can't buy glass at all, I'm told. There's a new fracture
requirement or such....

I'd have thought this to be the "blind-in-an-hour" vender BS, but
a friend looked into it, found it to be true and also found a
workaround: the military gets some glasses that are still glass.

Short sleeve shirts and ties were OK until Sipowitz checked out...

--
A host is a host from coast to
Old May 17th 05, 10:50 AM
Revision

Well, no one mentioned the big sideburns... the decor is General Services
Administration metal. Looks like a couple of teletypes next to the wall
for communicating with the Parks antenna or range safety, something....
old fashioned headphones ... and oh yeah noticed that they are muddling
through without a lot of cultural diversity, which had not been
discovered at the time of the photo. Well I'll be damned.... there is a
girl sitting behind the guy with the light colored jacket.

Old May 17th 05, 11:02 AM
Revision

Sort of curious....I wonder who is the mad monk at 9 o'clock? Bearded
and emaciated, has the most books, sort of on the periphery, but
attentive.

Old May 17th 05, 11:18 AM
Revision

http://klabs.org/history/apollo_11_alarms/console/

1201 alarm crib sheet, etc.

Old May 17th 05, 01:43 PM
Sy Liebergot Sy Liebergot is offline
Member

Location: Houston, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revision
Sort of curious....I wonder who is the mad monk at 9 o'clock? Bearded
and emaciated, has the most books, sort of on the periphery, but
attentive.
That 'mad monk' sitting to the left of Jack Garman is most likely John W. Jurgensen, another ace AGC expert. Pic taken in the GUIDO SSR (back room).
John still has his beard.
Sy Liebergot
"Apollo EECOM:Journey Of A Lifetime"
www.apolloeecom.com
Old May 17th 05, 01:51 PM
Peter Smith

David Lesher wrote:

And you now can't buy glass at all, I'm told. There's a new fracture
requirement or such....

Thats right. Glass lenses are heavy, they break if you drop them, and
if they are hardened the impact resistance increases - but when they do
break there's glass powder exploded into your cornea... not fun. Also a
small scratch or defect can cause the hardened lens to spontaneously
shatter... most people get really ****ed off if that happens.. And the
hard-coated plastics have scratch resistance comparable to glass anyway.

- Peter

Old May 17th 05, 02:31 PM
Scott Dorsey

Peter Smith wrote:
David Lesher wrote:

And you now can't buy glass at all, I'm told. There's a new fracture
requirement or such....

Thats right. Glass lenses are heavy, they break if you drop them, and
if they are hardened the impact resistance increases - but when they do
break there's glass powder exploded into your cornea... not fun. Also a
small scratch or defect can cause the hardened lens to spontaneously
shatter... most people get really ****ed off if that happens.. And the
hard-coated plastics have scratch resistance comparable to glass anyway.

You can still get glass, but the requirements for how thin the center
of the lens can be have been increased, so a lot of folks with higher
sphere prescriptions either need to go to a high index glass and pay $500/lens
or go to plastic.

I strongly recommend the Zeiss high index glass lenses. They have much
less birefringence than any of the plastic lenses I have ever used.
--scott