ASTRO: SH2-88/LBN 139

Old April 19th 13, 06:25 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: SH2-88/LBN 139

SH2-88/LBN 139 is a small nebula in Vulpecula about 2.4 kpc (7,800
light-years) distant. It contains at least three separate star forming
regions in its about 1 minute diameter. To its west is a larger mostly
reflection nebula around 10th magnitude GSC 02143-01279. SIMBAD shows
no identifier for this nebula. I found an amateur who says SH2-88 is
LBN 138 and the mystery reflection nebula is LBN 137 but both NED and
SIMBAD point to rather obscure nebulae further west for these with LBN
139 being SH2-88. All appear to be part of the Vulpecula OB1
association. Other than this I found little on the field.

Transparency decreased steadily as I was taking the color data with the
blue channel having clear skies but decreasing greatly by the time the
last red frame was taken, (blue-green-red) was the order. I had to do a
lot of compensation so the colors are rather suspect. Most images show
SH2-88 as nearly all H alpha pink rather than only the center in my
image with the rest blue. But they were listed as being H alpha for the
luminance channel so they didn't pick up much of the reflection part.
Those show the mystery nebula as rather white rather than blue. I
should retake the color data this summer to verify my LRGB data.

For those wanting to read more about the star forming regions and more
in SH2-88 see:
http://cdsads.u-strasbg.fr/cgi-bin/n...osetco okie=1

Rick
--
Prefix is correct. Domain is arvig dot net

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LBN139L4X10RGB2X10.JPG
Views:	417
Size:	527.3 KB
ID:	4578
Old April 24th 13, 10:14 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

what a coincidence, I was just "reseaching" this area in Guide9 to see which
of those Sharpless nebulae I have already imaged.
These two small ones are not im collection (yet).
They look very good in your image. Not a narrowband object unfortunately,
which is an important information I can get from your image.

Stefan

Old April 25th 13, 06:06 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Most on line images of this one are NB. In fact I found only one RGB
version. I'm sure the red is under-represented in this version. Just
too noisy due to clouds blocking much of the red image time. I don't
guide so just continue exposing when clouds do that to me. I just
couldn't boost the fainter red data enough to match the blue. It's on
the reshoot list.

Visually though it doesn't respond to OIII or Hbeta filters yet can be
seen. That indicates there is a lot of continuum light in these. I
will reshoot it in a few months (if this $#%* weather ever cooperates)
and see if I can get better color data to go with the L channel.

Rick