#74 Pulsar Nulling turns out easy to explain as a Magnetosphere

Old April 24th 08, 08:59 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro,sci.bio.misc
[email protected]

Default #74 Pulsar Nulling turns out easy to explain as a Magnetosphere

First off, I had to find out what scientists call this phenomenon of a
pulsar switching on and off
and from this website found it is called Nulling:

--- quoting ---
http://www.atnf.csiro.au/research/pu...l/tut/tut.html
Mode changing
Emission switches on and off at different phases

Nulling
Pulses switch off altogether in patches

Drifting
Subpulses drift slowly through the main pulse

--- end quoting ---

I thought Nulling may last for days, months and years, but apparently
no pulsar
was listed with that shut off period.

So this website tells of some specific aspects of Nulling.

--- quoting in parts---
Nature 228, 42 - 43 (03 October 1970); doi:10.1038/228042a0

Pulsar Nulling Phenomena

PSR's 0834 + 06, 1133 + 16,
1237 + 25 and 1929 + 10 were found suddenly to miss from one to ten
pulses at various
times, termed "nulls", during otherwise very strong and steady bursts.
A null means that
the pulse energy decreased by a factor of ten or more over one or two
pulse periods and
then increased just as sharply after the null. The nulls can be
divided into two types
according to their duration and their spacing. Type I nulls are the
most prominent with a
width between three and ten pulses and recur with spacings of about
fifty pulses. Type II
nulls have a width of only one or two pulses and recur with spacings
of three to ten pulses.

--- end quoting in parts ---

If we consider all pulsars as alien civilizations with radios and TVs
and whose planet has
a Magnetosphere like Earth acting as a crystal to make the sum total
of their radio and TV
signals as a monotone pulse.

Now how does that explain Nulling? Easy, in that during a Alien Day of
rotation, there are
peak hours of transmission of both radio and TV and during the off-
peak hours there is this
Nulling.

Now if someone can show me a pulsar that shuts off completely for an
extended time period
and then resumes pulsing, would be a far greater challenge to explain
than Nulling.

Also, one website was questioning as to whether some pulsars display
nulling or whether
all pulsars have some nulling characteristics. If the Alien Advanced
Life is the source of
pulsars then the answer is clearly all pulsars display Nulling.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium
Old April 24th 08, 09:18 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.astro,sci.bio.misc
[email protected]

wrote:

Now how does that explain Nulling? Easy, in that during a Alien Day of
rotation, there are
peak hours of transmission of both radio and TV and during the off-
peak hours there is this
Nulling.

Many of those nulls of Type I and Type II are too brief to be
explained as
off peak hours of broadcasting. Perhaps a better explanation is that
it is
off peak time coupled with transmission interference between various
Radio stations. Where one radio station interfers with another as the
Magnetosphere combines them into a monotone pulse. Much like the
static interference as on station tunes out the other station.

Now I used to think that if pulsars were advanced life that somehow we
could learn alot about them from the pulsing. But since they lack
information
in the pulsing, we still can inferr alot about their civilization by
comparing our
own pulsing created by Earth's Magnetosphere.

Now I still will have to explain X-ray and gamma ray pulsars. Now
maybe those
are very advanced civilizations or perhaps they are some special
physical featured stars and
not planets with life. Now if we can have a star with a strong
magnetic field that it can
spew out pulses and we do not need to inferr the star is a "neutron
star".

But the X-ray and gamma ray pulsars are not suitable for this trilogy
series on biology.
I leave discussion of them in a separate book on pulsars alone.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium