NASA Completes Assembly of Ares I-X Test Rocket

Old August 15th 09, 02:08 AM posted to sci.space.news
ron

Default NASA Completes Assembly of Ares I-X Test Rocket

August 14, 2009

Ashley Edwards/Grey Hautaluoma
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-1756/0668

Amber Philman
Kennedy Space Center, Fla.
321-867-2468

RELEASE: 09-169

NASA COMPLETES ASSEMBLY OF ARES I-X TEST ROCKET

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- For the first time in more than a
quarter-century a new space vehicle stands ready in NASA's Kennedy
Space Center Vehicle Assembly Building. The Ares I-X rocket, its
simulated crew module and launch abort system are assembled on a
mobile launch platform at Kennedy in preparation for launch this
fall.

The final segments of the Ares I-X were stacked on Aug. 13,
completing
the 327-foot launch vehicle and providing the first look at the
finished rocket's distinctive shape. The Ares I-X flight test is
targeted for Oct. 31.

"More than three years of hard work with the NASA and contractor team
has brought us to this historic moment," said Bob Ess, Ares I-X
mission manager. "This flight test is a critical step in continuing
our design process for the Ares vehicle and the first flight for the
Constellation Program."

The Ares I-X is wired with more than 700 sensors to gather data
during
the two-and-a-half minute flight test. The launch will provide NASA
an early opportunity to test and prove hardware, facilities and
ground operations associated with the Ares I crew launch vehicle. The
data collected during the launch will allow NASA to gather critical
data during ascent of the integrated Orion spacecraft and the Ares I
rocket.

Now that the Ares I-X is assembled, numerous evaluations will be run
on all the rocket systems, including complex instruments that will
constantly measure the vehicle's movements as it launches and the
first stage separates. The evaluations include a process called
"modal testing," which will shake the stack slightly to test
stiffness of the rocket, including the pinned and bolted joints.

Video B-roll of the Ares I-X will be available on NASA Television's
Video File feed. For NASA TV streaming video, schedules and downlink
information, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/ntv

To follow Ares I-X processing on Twitter, visit:

http://twitter.com/NASA_Ares_I_X

For more information about the Ares I-X and NASA's next-generation
spacecraft, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/ares

-end-