Vegemite

Old August 15th 05, 06:52 AM
LooseChanj

Default Vegemite

An e-pal of mine bravely smuggled some of this back from australia and mailed
it to me in a *JUST* too big a box for my mailbox, forcing me to poke a hole
and pull like a *******. I have never before today actually encountered this
material. It's a small sample, 40 g (they use that funky metric system there).
I was a little nervous, not having any hazmat training, but I handled it
carefully. For some reason, I always imagined it to be greenish-brown, but it's
much closer to black. Smells almost exactly like Guiness Stout. Tastes pretty
much like how I first imagined it when I first heard the Men At Work song. I
put a pinch on my tongue a couple hours ago, and I can still taste it. I'm
planning on trying it on some crackers later on. Wish me luck.

Also, it does not appear to be explosive or corrosive.
--
This is a siggy | To E-mail, do note | Just because something
It's properly formatted | who you mean to reply-to | is possible, doesn't

Old August 15th 05, 07:29 AM
Neil Gerace

"LooseChanj" wrote in message
. ..

Also, it does not appear to be explosive or corrosive.

Then spread it thinly - this increases the surface area per unit volume

Old August 15th 05, 08:32 AM
OM

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 14:29:03 +0800, "Neil Gerace"
wrote:

"LooseChanj" wrote in message

Also, it does not appear to be explosive or corrosive.

Then spread it thinly - this increases the surface area per unit volume

....Yeah, it's been a while since we had a Vegemite thread. Maybe it'll
bring the rest of our Oz contingent out of hiding :-)

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old August 15th 05, 08:55 AM
Brian McKillop

See www.vegemite.com.au for a whole bunch more (sensible) uses for the
miraculous black product.

Regards,

Brian

Old August 15th 05, 03:32 PM
David Sander

wrote:

"LooseChanj" wrote in message

Also, it does not appear to be explosive or corrosive.

Then spread it thinly - this increases the surface area per unit volume

...Yeah, it's been a while since we had a Vegemite thread. Maybe it'll
bring the rest of our Oz contingent out of hiding :-)

What makes you think that?

:-)

David
--
per aspera ad astra
Old August 15th 05, 03:42 PM
Pat Flannery

LooseChanj wrote:

Tastes pretty
much like how I first imagined it when I first heard the Men At Work song.

You are aware what "Vegemite Sandwich" is sexual slang for down in
Australia, aren't you?
That may explain why some people think it tastes crappy. :-)

put a pinch on my tongue a couple hours ago, and I can still taste it. I'm
planning on trying it on some crackers later on. Wish me luck.

Also, it does not appear to be explosive or corrosive.

If it's like Marmite, don't put it in the microwave- this causes it to
become mobile and crawl out of the bottle, like a Shoggoth one would
find in an Antarctic cave of unwholesome antiquity.

Pat

Old August 15th 05, 04:07 PM
Neil Gerace

"LooseChanj" wrote in message
. ..

Also, it does not appear to be explosive or corrosive.

As regards the reactivity of Vegemite:

I find it interesting that, unlike peanut paste which is sold in plastic
jars, Vegemite is still only sold in glass jars.

Old August 15th 05, 04:47 PM
Dave Michelson

Neil Gerace wrote:

I find it interesting that, unlike peanut paste which is sold in plastic
jars, Vegemite is still only sold in glass jars.

Ah, but the real question is: Whatever happened to Vegemite's arch
competitor, Marmite?

Another question: Did Vegemite inspire Asimov to write The Caves of
Steel?

--
Dave Michelson

Old August 15th 05, 05:36 PM
Neil Gerace

"Dave Michelson" wrote in message
Neil Gerace wrote:

I find it interesting that, unlike peanut paste which is sold in plastic
jars, Vegemite is still only sold in glass jars.

Ah, but the real question is: Whatever happened to Vegemite's arch
competitor, Marmite?

Marmite is just a (metaphorically) pale imitation - Vegemite's paramountcy
has never been seriously challenged here in Australia.

Another question: Did Vegemite inspire Asimov to write The Caves of
Steel?

It might have inspired JK Rowling to write The Goblet of Fire.

Old August 15th 05, 06:39 PM
Pat Flannery

Dave Michelson wrote:

Ah, but the real question is: Whatever happened to Vegemite's arch
competitor, Marmite?

I had a bottle of it a friend gave me a year or so back; I took one
taste of it, resealed the bottle tightly, and put it _way, way_ back on
the refrigerator shelf. I'd never tasted stuff like that before...and I
never wanted to taste stuff like that again.
Many months later, I noticed it was still back there, glinting evilly in
the shadows of good and decent food, like a rotting dead moose waiting
to be found by some poor child visiting Yellowstone National Park.

Another question: Did Vegemite inspire Asimov to write The Caves of
Steel?

Considering what it looked and smelled like, I think Marmite inspired
The Bell System to coat their telephone poles with creosote for rot and
insect protection.

Pat