Woohoo Spirit landed!!!!

Old January 4th 04, 04:58 AM
Araxen

Default Woohoo Spirit landed!!!!

Congrats to everyone involved!!!!!
Old January 4th 04, 01:53 PM
Dave M

Too true.
Us Europeans just do not have the experience that America has, (not quite as
much money either).

Beagle 2 / Spirit highlights this.
I'm convinced Beagle 2 will never be contacted so it's fantastic to know
that I can sit here and watch pictures of Mars courtesy of NASA.

Well done to all involved and may the next one in a few weeks time be just
as good.

Old January 4th 04, 05:17 PM
Fluxuated

..
I'm convinced Beagle 2 will never be contacted so it's fantastic to know
that I can sit here and watch pictures of Mars courtesy of NASA.

So that means you WANT the European Spacecraft to fail? Just so you can BRAG
that NASA did it, and the europeans did not? I'd like to think that we can
gain the best from ALL Humanity, and not just from the American EGO.

Old January 4th 04, 06:24 PM
Ugo

Dave M wrote:
Too true.
Us Europeans just do not have the experience that America has, (not
quite as much money either).

Actually, at one of the Beagle 2 press conferences it has been sait that the
Europeans have more money than the U.S. It's just that we (Europeans) aren't
that committed to space exploration, yet.

Besides, NASA had it's fair share of failures, too!

--
The butler did it.

Old January 4th 04, 06:36 PM
Dave M

Sorry you are so wrong. I am English not American. All I am saying is that
Beagle 2 is lost (sadly) BUT I can see pictures from Mars by virtue of
another rover which just happens to be there.
I most certainly had no intention on 'knocking' ESA nor patronising NASA.
Just be glad that some-one is on Mars right this minute and we can watch.

--
Regards
Dave
.

Old January 4th 04, 07:12 PM
Dave M

What exactly did the butler do

Like my son was saying the other day. Imagine you were responsible for
undertaking a really important task, like for example, removing the lense
cap from a rover vehicles camera just hours before launch and you forgot.
Would you own up? or say the butler did it? Got to laugh sometimes aint ya.

--
Regards
Dave

Old January 4th 04, 07:39 PM
Ugo

Dave M wrote:
What exactly did the butler do

Like my son was saying the other day. Imagine you were responsible for
undertaking a really important task, like for example, removing the
lense cap from a rover vehicles camera just hours before launch and
you forgot. Would you own up? or say the butler did it? Got to laugh
sometimes aint ya.

Remember, it's *always* the butler!

;-)

--
The butler did it, again.

Old January 4th 04, 10:34 PM
Roger Hamlett

"Dave M" wrote in message
Sorry you are so wrong. I am English not American. All I am saying is that
Beagle 2 is lost (sadly) BUT I can see pictures from Mars by virtue of
another rover which just happens to be there.
I most certainly had no intention on 'knocking' ESA nor patronising NASA.
Just be glad that some-one is on Mars right this minute and we can watch.

You are though, 'pre-empting' the assumption of loss.
It is _critical_ to understand, that the primary Beagle2 radio link (and the
only tested one), is the one back to the Mars Express orbiter. All other
methods or communication, were (in part at least), 'long shots'. Only these
untried links have yet been used. In a couple of days, the Beagle, (if it is
'alive'), will start sending using a little more power. If it has ended up
in a crater, and there is enough light for the solar cells to work, these
messages will only be detectable by something fairly 'overhead'. The orbit
of the Express orbiter, has been deliberately shifted, so it will be nearly
directly overhead in a couple of days. There is still a very reasonable
'long shot', that the craft will be found to be working. If it is not
detected by the end of the week, the odds will be declining fast, but at
present, "don't write it off yet".
The Beagle experiments, are so 'complementary' to the US ones, that it
really would be nice to have both sets of results. The US system is
targetted to geology, and 'past water', while the Beagle tries to look for
signs of life.

--
Regards
Dave
"Fluxuated" wrote in message
.
I'm convinced Beagle 2 will never be contacted so it's fantastic to

know
that I can sit here and watch pictures of Mars courtesy of NASA.

So that means you WANT the European Spacecraft to fail? Just so you can

BRAG
that NASA did it, and the europeans did not? I'd like to think that we

can
gain the best from ALL Humanity, and not just from the American EGO.

Best Wishes

Old January 4th 04, 10:49 PM
Ugo

Roger Hamlett wrote:
"Dave M" wrote in message
[...]

I agree with you on this, about the Odyssey link never being tested. Don't
you, however, believe that the radio telescopes here on Earth *should* have
picked something up? Even if there was a clock reset or a similar problem,
the window when Earth was listening was several hours long so what would be
the odds of radio telescopes listening always at the wrong time?

--
The butler did it.

Old January 5th 04, 01:39 AM
Araxen

Ugo wrote:

Roger Hamlett wrote:

"Dave M" wrote in message

[...]

Personally, the air bags failed and Beagle2 is in a millions pieces. At
least thats what I beleive!