BLUE MOON IN JULY,search 2x new moon FEB 2052/sky telesc

Old July 7th 04, 03:36 AM
Don McDonald

Default BLUE MOON IN JULY,search 2x new moon FEB 2052/sky telesc

sky and telescope wrote..
BLUE MOON IN JULY

According to "old folklore," the second full Moon in a calendar month is
called a "blue Moon." Not so. While the term has been around a long time,
its calendrical meaning has become widespread only recently -- all because
of a mistake in a 1946 issue of SKY & TELESCOPE magazine.

http://SkyandTelescope.com/observing...icle_127_1.asp

ONCE IN A BLUE MOON

From the Middle Ages to the game of Trivial Pursuit, a folk-lorist
explores the meaning of "blue Moon."

http://SkyandTelescope.com/observing...icle_377_1.asp

search 2x new moons in february 2052***
valentines day full moon gmt

forwarded
don.lotto 7.7.04

SKY AT A GLANCE
Old July 7th 04, 04:25 AM
Mark Lepkowski

"Don McDonald" wrote in message
om...
sky and telescope wrote..
BLUE MOON IN JULY

According to "old folklore," the second full Moon in a calendar month is
called a "blue Moon." Not so. While the term has been around a long time,
its calendrical meaning has become widespread only recently -- all because
of a mistake in a 1946 issue of SKY & TELESCOPE magazine.

http://SkyandTelescope.com/observing...icle_127_1.asp

The article admits to a March 1946 misinterpretation of the Maine Farmers'
Almanac (MFA). Then it defines the MFA blue moon rule where in a tropical
year (winter solstice to winter solstice) the 3rd full moon of a season with
4 full moons gets the name "blue" moon. So now we know what a blue moon is
(by the MFA rule), but the article falls short in providing any historical
rationale for the term "blue" in this context.

Old July 7th 04, 06:13 AM
Brian Tung

Mark Lepkowski wrote:
The article admits to a March 1946 misinterpretation of the Maine Farmers'
Almanac (MFA). Then it defines the MFA blue moon rule where in a tropical
year (winter solstice to winter solstice) the 3rd full moon of a season with
4 full moons gets the name "blue" moon. So now we know what a blue moon is
(by the MFA rule), but the article falls short in providing any historical
rationale for the term "blue" in this context.

It's possible that there is no known rationale. That is very common with
folk expressions.

Brian Tung
My Own Personal FAQ (SAA) at http://astro.isi.edu/reference/faq.txt

Old July 8th 04, 03:37 AM
Mark Lepkowski

"Brian Tung" wrote in message
It's possible that there is no known rationale.

Definitely possible in my case.

I just hope the question doesn't come up at team trivia tomorrow night.
Every now and then the host will throw in an astronomy question. One night
in between questions I was asking Bonnie how many constellations she could
name. The next question was along the lines of "what type of heavenly
bodies are Lepus, Puppis, and (can't remember the 3rd)..."

Mark