ASTRO: KKH 037 A Dwarf Maffei 1 Galaxy

Old July 8th 14, 07:02 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: KKH 037 A Dwarf Maffei 1 Galaxy

KKH 037 (MAILYAN 016/LEDA 095597) is the northernmost member of the
Maffei group of nearby galaxies. It is located a bit less than 10
degrees from the pole in Camelopardalis. Being so far north it is
relatively unobscured compared to most of the group that is further
south and very reddened by our galaxy's dust and gas. In this case it
really is a tiny dwarf galaxy. it is part of the group that is about 10
to 11 million light-years from us. I'm going with the greater distance
here as that is what two of three Tully Fisher measurements say with the
third not significantly closer. NED classifies it as simply an
irregular spiral. It seems to have a fairly orderly spiral structure in
my image but for the fact it is totally blue. Even the core is blue
indicating its light is dominated by young massive and hot stars right
into the core. This is likely why it has both a spiral and irregular
classification. At the 11 million light-year distance it is only 2,700
light-years across. Really small for a disk galaxy like a spiral but
rather common for dwarf irregular galaxies.

I found very little on it. There is an elongated somewhat red object on
its northeastern edge (upper left) that a note at NED says is a distant
background galaxy. It isn't listed in NED. In fact only 4 other
galaxies are in listed in NED, none with even a magnitude let alone a
distance estimate. All are from the 2MASS listing. Therefore no
annotated image was prepared. There is a fainter, blue elongated object
due east (left) of the core. I assume it is a star cloud in the galaxy.
I found no mention of it.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=4x10' RGB=2x10' STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick
--
Prefix is correct. Domain is arvig dot net

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PGC95597L4X10RGB2X10.JPG
Views:	314
Size:	275.4 KB
ID:	5194  Click image for larger version

Name:	PGC95597L4X10RGB2X10CROP150.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	5195