South pole rescue

Old June 26th 16, 11:32 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

Default South pole rescue

On Sunday, June 26, 2016 at 10:52:21 AM UTC+1, wrote:
On Sunday, June 26, 2016 at 10:18:31 AM UTC+1, oriel36 wrote:

The moon neither rotates to the Sun nor the Earth and its day/night cycle is so obvious that it doesn't require further qualification other than the images which dictate its appearance from the Earth or on the moon itself -

What is obvious is that the moon rotates once with respect to the Sun once every orbit of the Earth. Full moon - the face that faces us also faces the Sun. New Moon - the face that faces us faces away from the Sun.

How can it get from Full to New without rotating? You are wrong again, obviously.

I can't do this for another newbie, I really can't. The Earth orbits the Sun in an entirely different way than the moon orbits the Earth so all it takes it to look at the motion of the North and South poles across the fully illuminated face of the Earth as a cause for the polar day/night cycle.

The moon doesn't orbit the Sun, it orbits the Earth and a person walking around an object with an outstretched arm will imitate what we see of the moon. Nobody has considered that we have a continuous view of the moon orbiting the Earth for a few weeks at a time and the evolution of the circle of illumination which reflects the moon's orbital position and its day/night cycle.

It becomes agitating to have to explain something which any imaging does conclusively yet backward looking,nostalgia drenched folk existing off Newton's narrative as the only person ever to posit a spinning moon can't raise themselves to this point.
Old June 26th 16, 12:14 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Sunday, June 26, 2016 at 11:32:55 AM UTC+1, oriel36 wrote:

It becomes agitating to have to explain something which any imaging does conclusively

I don't need imaging - I look at the Moon with my bare eyes, and I see dawn and sunset. It is turning with respect to the Sun.
Old June 26th 16, 12:24 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

On Sunday, June 26, 2016 at 12:14:21 PM UTC+1, wrote:
On Sunday, June 26, 2016 at 11:32:55 AM UTC+1, oriel36 wrote:

It becomes agitating to have to explain something which any imaging does conclusively

I don't need imaging - I look at the Moon with my bare eyes, and I see dawn and sunset. It is turning with respect to the Sun.

Well then boy you will have no problem with polar day on the Equinox and polar sunset at the opposite Equinox as the entire planet turns once to the central Sun as a function of its orbital motion like so -

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...precession.svg

The moon does not rotate as a function of its orbital motion nor does it rotate intrinsically but that is trivia and merely a means to compare with the Earth's dual day/night cycles and dual surface rotations to the central Sun.

Any time I see your posts I have to ignore them as the productive/creative insights are meant for those who can see cause and effect and not thrown away on desperate ideologies of a different era.
Old June 26th 16, 12:38 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mike Collins[_4_]

oriel36 wrote:
On Sunday, June 26, 2016 at 12:27:10 AM UTC+1, Mike Collins wrote:
oriel36 wrote:
http://www.nature.com/news/daring-an...h-pole-1.20135

When the rescue was made there was almost daylight conditions at the
South pole insofar as there was also a rare full moon on the June
Solstice and although greatly diminished, the light of the moon still
affects conditions presently -

http://www.usap.gov/videoclipsandmaps/spwebcam.cfm

Someone thanked me for explaining that if daily rotation is subtracted
that the entire surface of the planet turns once as a function of its
orbital motion so that the North and South poles act as windows into that
surface rotation and responsible for the single polar day/night cycle.

The South pole rescue was not as dramatic as some would have it due to
astronomical conditions present .

That someone won't thank you when he finds you lied to him.

Some people in the UK are waking up to a backward looking, nostaligia
driven older group who can't adapt and influence the future for the younger generations .

My vote was of course to remain since I support a United States of Europe.

It showed in your utterly stupid notion that the Shannon river in Ireland
was part of the British isles and therefore Ireland was somehow part of Great Britain .

It will still be the British Isles even if there is no Britain.

National identity is one thing and I respect that the British have fought
to maintain that identity (regardless of Remain/Leave) however the
bigger picture would have required a challenge and not burying heads in
the past. You and the rest here do it day in and day out as you live out
the glories of a past that was as counter-productive,lifeless and lacked
creativity/productivity than any ideological group in human history.

You are the one always preferring the past to modern science. You seem to
be able to exceed the Red Queen in the number of impossible things you can
believe before breakfast.

The reality is that the Earth, irrespective of of national identities or
political ideologies, has two distinct day/night cycles and two distinct
surface rotations to the Sun behind them. This is good, it is productive
and has all the creative dynamics to drag people out of stodgy old
ideologies which temporarily reduced astronomy to ruins.

Reality is something you do not seem to experience.

Old June 26th 16, 12:44 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Sunday, June 26, 2016 at 12:24:32 PM UTC+1, oriel36 wrote:
Any time I see your posts I have to ignore them

Well, no, you nearly always post something in response, so you don't ignore them.

You do usually ignore the facts and corrections in them, but sometimes you learn things from me, like not to say "quadrature" when talking about the inner planets. It is a bit early to tell, but I think you may have learned that the inner planets are not in retrograde the whole way from Eastern elongation to Western.
Old June 26th 16, 01:14 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Saturday, June 25, 2016 at 3:08:22 PM UTC-4, oriel36 wrote:
The South pole rescue was not as dramatic as some would have it due to astronomical conditions present .

---

Operating a small twin-engine turboprop in -60 degree temps in the most desolate, remote and unforgiving land area in the world in the middle of the night... sounds rather dramatic to me.
Old June 26th 16, 01:26 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

On Sunday, June 26, 2016 at 1:14:22 PM UTC+1, wrote:
On Saturday, June 25, 2016 at 3:08:22 PM UTC-4, oriel36 wrote:
The South pole rescue was not as dramatic as some would have it due to astronomical conditions present .

---

Operating a small twin-engine turboprop in -60 degree temps in the most desolate, remote and unforgiving land area in the world in the middle of the night... sounds rather dramatic to me.

Coming from a guy who thinks the Irish are British I would say that means absolutely nothing ,after all, even a political/social discussion is impossible at that level of utter intellectual desolation. The fact that Collins agrees with you makes him even worse as he is British.

I am not sure why empiricism attracts people who take a perverse pleasure in acting opposite to common sense, after all, what could be more normal than one rotation causing the experience of a day/night cycle each 24 hours yet in this thread someone argues for more rotations than days.

Old June 26th 16, 01:41 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Sunday, June 26, 2016 at 8:26:57 AM UTC-4, oriel36 wrote:
On Sunday, June 26, 2016 at 1:14:22 PM UTC+1, wrote:
On Saturday, June 25, 2016 at 3:08:22 PM UTC-4, oriel36 wrote:
The South pole rescue was not as dramatic as some would have it due to astronomical conditions present .

---

Operating a small twin-engine turboprop in -60 degree temps in the most desolate, remote and unforgiving land area in the world in the middle of the night... sounds rather dramatic to me.

Coming from a guy who thinks the Irish are British I would say that means absolutely nothing

The Irish are from the British Isles, not that that has anything to do with the fact that flying a small plane to the South Pole during the Antarctic is nothing to be taken lightly.

Old June 26th 16, 02:23 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mike Collins[_4_]

wrote:
On Saturday, June 25, 2016 at 3:08:22 PM UTC-4, oriel36 wrote:
The South pole rescue was not as dramatic as some would have it due to
astronomical conditions present .

---

Operating a small twin-engine turboprop in -60 degree temps in the most
desolate, remote and unforgiving land area in the world in the middle of
the night... sounds rather dramatic to me.

Rocking the aircraft to free the landing gear is a bit drastic. I enjoyed
being a passenger in a twin otter in England but I don't think it would be
so pleasant in the polar winter.

Old June 26th 16, 02:33 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

Total anarchy.