Is it wise to discontinue the shuttle?

Old January 9th 04, 09:17 PM
Peter Altschuler

Default Is it wise to discontinue the shuttle?

According to the President's new space initiative plan, the space
shuttle would be retired after completion of the space station. How
could we expand the station without the shuttle? How could we rotate
logistic modules without the shuttle?
Old January 9th 04, 10:00 PM
Jason A. Ciastko

"Peter Altschuler" wrote in message
om...
According to the President's new space initiative plan, the space
shuttle would be retired after completion of the space station. How
could we expand the station without the shuttle? How could we rotate
logistic modules without the shuttle?

I think by the time the station is complete we could build a couple of new
vehicles. One would basically be a CRV type vehicle launched on an
expendable for crew rotation. The other would be something like the MPLM's
that can stay on orbit for an extended time and then be de-orbited and
recovered with the contents inside. Any new modules to expand the station
would be designed to be launch from an expendable.

The way I see it, we have at least another 5 to 10 years worth of STS
missions to get the station to completion. So there is plenty of time for
the designers to design/re-design any modules that will be going up post
"completion".

Anyway, there's my quick thoughts on it.

Jason

Old January 9th 04, 10:49 PM
John Doe

Peter Altschuler wrote:
According to the President's new space initiative plan, the space
shuttle would be retired after completion of the space station. How
could we expand the station without the shuttle? How could we rotate
logistic modules without the shuttle?

By building a replacement for the shuttle that will not only be able to launch
MPLMs and 7 crewmembers to the station and bring them back, but will also be
able to land on moon and take off again, as well as land on mars and take off
again. And this ship will have many qualities the shuttle lacks:

-ability to land on mars, take off from mars, and land on earth without any
intervening maintenance/overhaul to its tiles, engines etc.

-Ability for crew to re-inflate the tires after the 6 month trip.
Old January 11th 04, 04:24 PM
Hallerb

Is it wise to discontinue the shuttle?

Lets face facts, given the risks of each launch we might run out of orbiters.

Loose one more and they MIGHT continue with TWO. Loose 2 more and the remaining
one ois off to the smithsonian

Guiven this sad fact we should of built something years ago. Although I think
bushes Mars plan is all election special smoke and mirrors. to help voters in
affected states
Old January 11th 04, 11:57 PM
Hallerb

People who can't spell annoy the hell out of me. For God's sake it's LOSE,
not
LOOSE.

DF

well now that you reminded me I cant spell but obviously you understood what I
meant what of the content of my post?