How much light does a neutrino strike produce?

Old May 16th 13, 04:29 AM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

Default How much light does a neutrino strike produce?

The following article got me thinking about neutrino detectors. The
subject of the article itself is pretty fascinating in its own right,
about super-high-energy neutrinos coming from cosmic sources.

BBC News - Neutrinos from the cosmos hint at new era in astronomy

As we know, when a neutrino strikes an atomic nucleus, it creates a
bright flash of Cherenkov Radiation, which is then detected by these
detectors. But my question is how much Cherenkov radiation will be
detected? How bright is the Cherenkov, that a single measly neutrino
striking a single measly atomic nucleus would produce enough photons to
be able to see it through hundreds of feet of ice? Would a single event
be energetic enough to produce the billions and trillions of Cherenkov
photons needed to be detected separately at various detectors placed
strategically around the ice?

Yousuf Khan
Old May 16th 13, 04:56 AM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics
Steve Pope

Yousuf Khan wrote:

As we know, when a neutrino strikes an atomic nucleus, it creates a
bright flash of Cherenkov Radiation, which is then detected by these
detectors. But my question is how much Cherenkov radiation will be
detected? How bright is the Cherenkov, that a single measly neutrino
striking a single measly atomic nucleus would produce enough photons to
be able to see it through hundreds of feet of ice? Would a single event
be energetic enough to produce the billions and trillions of Cherenkov
photons needed to be detected separately at various detectors placed
strategically around the ice?

A photomultiplier tube can detect a single photon. Hope this helps.

Steve
Old May 16th 13, 05:37 AM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 16/05/2013 9:56 AM, Steve Pope wrote:
Yousuf Khan wrote:

As we know, when a neutrino strikes an atomic nucleus, it creates a
bright flash of Cherenkov Radiation, which is then detected by these
detectors. But my question is how much Cherenkov radiation will be
detected? How bright is the Cherenkov, that a single measly neutrino
striking a single measly atomic nucleus would produce enough photons to
be able to see it through hundreds of feet of ice? Would a single event
be energetic enough to produce the billions and trillions of Cherenkov
photons needed to be detected separately at various detectors placed
strategically around the ice?

A photomultiplier tube can detect a single photon. Hope this helps.

I understand, but how many photons are created by the single neutrino
strike by itself? Is there somebody who knows?

Yousuf Khan
Old May 16th 13, 09:10 AM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics
Odysseus[_1_]

Yousuf Khan wrote:

As we know, when a neutrino strikes an atomic nucleus, it creates a
bright flash of Cherenkov Radiation, which is then detected by these
detectors. But my question is how much Cherenkov radiation will be
detected? How bright is the Cherenkov, that a single measly neutrino
striking a single measly atomic nucleus would produce enough photons to
be able to see it through hundreds of feet of ice? Would a single event
be energetic enough to produce the billions and trillions of Cherenkov
photons needed to be detected separately at various detectors placed
strategically around the ice?

A photomultiplier tube can detect a single photon. Hope this helps.

I understand, but how many photons are created by the single neutrino
strike by itself? Is there somebody who knows?

It would depend on the energy of the neutrino and the medium that
absorbs the energy. The initial impact doesn't produce photons AFAICT;
rather, ionizing radiation from the nuclear reaction disturbs electrons
in the ice molecules, which then emit photons. You could roughly
estimate the number by dividing the impact energy by the energy of a UV
photon, something like 50 eV. For a better result you'd have to
integrate the frequency distribution of Cherenkov radiation, which is an
odd one -- intensity proportional to frequency up to a cutoff (for
water, in the near X-ray IIRC) where the index of refraction decreases
to 1. Most of the radiated energy will come from the high-frequency
photons, but it takes more low-frequency (visible) photons to contribute
a given amount of energy. Anyway, supposing the energy a beta particle
carries away from the nucleus to be in the MeV range, it should produce
thousands of photons along its track.

--
Odysseus
Old May 18th 13, 06:53 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 16/05/2013 2:10 PM, Odysseus wrote:
[...]

Okay thanks, that makes sense.

Yousuf Khan
Old May 31st 13, 03:41 AM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics
Lofty Goat

On Thu, 16 May 2013 02:10:10 -0600, Odysseus wrote:

... The initial impact doesn't produce photons AFAICT; rather, ionizing
radiation from the nuclear reaction disturbs electrons in the ice
molecules, which then emit photons....

ionizing radiation = high-energy photons
Old May 31st 13, 05:51 AM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics
Odysseus[_1_]

In article ,
Lofty Goat wrote:

On Thu, 16 May 2013 02:10:10 -0600, Odysseus wrote:

... The initial impact doesn't produce photons AFAICT; rather, ionizing
radiation from the nuclear reaction disturbs electrons in the ice
molecules, which then emit photons....

ionizing radiation = high-energy photons

Ionizing radiations includes not only gamma rays, but also nuclear
fragments, electrons (beta radiation), positrons, and other charged
species. The latter kind is what I was referring to.

--
Odysseus
Old May 31st 13, 01:48 PM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics
Absolutely Vertical

On 5/30/2013 9:41 PM, Lofty Goat wrote:
On Thu, 16 May 2013 02:10:10 -0600, Odysseus wrote:

... The initial impact doesn't produce photons AFAICT; rather, ionizing
radiation from the nuclear reaction disturbs electrons in the ice
molecules, which then emit photons....

ionizing radiation = high-energy photons

actually, no. betas, alphas, and fission fragments are also ionizing
radiation.