Charles E. Brady, Jr. (1951-2006), STS-78

Old August 5th 06, 11:19 AM posted to sci.space.history
Anthony Frost

Default Charles E. Brady, Jr. (1951-2006), STS-78

In message
Pat Flannery wrote:

BTW; I always heard it was "Here comes a sandman to put you to bed; here
comes a swordsman to cut off your head."
Any idea where the variant version in 1984 comes from?

Standard English version, I've never heard yours...

Anthony

Old August 5th 06, 12:29 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Anthony Frost wrote:

In message
Pat Flannery wrote:

BTW; I always heard it was "Here comes a sandman to put you to bed; here
comes a swordsman to cut off your head."
Any idea where the variant version in 1984 comes from?

Standard English version, I've never heard yours...

Works better from a rhyming point of scheme though, doesn't it?

Pat
Old August 5th 06, 12:40 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Pat Flannery wrote:

Any idea where the variant version in 1984 comes from?

Standard English version, I've never heard yours...

Works better from a rhyming point of scheme though, doesn't it?

Wasn't that the turn of phrase used in the Richard Burton version of
"1984" when the Thought Police helicopter descended outside of where
they were having their affair?

Pat
Old August 5th 06, 06:12 PM posted to sci.space.history
Jorge R. Frank

"Neil Gerace" wrote in
:

"Jorge R. Frank" wrote in message
Pat Flannery wrote in
:

Watch it, Mr. Spencer...that could be considered as Thoughtcrime.
Doubleplus bad.
http://www.newspeakdictionary.com/ns-dict.html

Don't you mean "doubleplus ungood", Citizen?

I just had a thought that, no doubt, lots of other people had years
ago.

One wonders why C++ wasn't named ++C. Both the C and '1984' references
would be covered by that.

I've wondered that too. I can only think of two possible origins:

1) Stroustrup wanted C++ to sort right after C in listings of languages
2) Stroustrup was making some kind of obscure joke relying on the
difference between pre- and post-increment behavior (if c=1, d = ++c means
d=2, but d=c++ means d=1)

I would bet on 1) but can't rule out 2).

This sounds like a Henry question anyway. :-)

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.
Old August 5th 06, 08:16 PM posted to sci.space.history
Henry Spencer

In article ,
Neil Gerace wrote:
Don't you mean "doubleplus ungood", Citizen?

I just had a thought that, no doubt, lots of other people had years ago.
One wonders why C++ wasn't named ++C...

Stroustrup says that ++C was indeed the runner-up when the name was
chosen. He doesn't say why it lost out, but one obvious reason is that
its meaning is less obvious to non-C people.

And yes, the 1984 connection was noticed.
Old August 5th 06, 09:44 PM posted to sci.space.history
Reed[_1_]

"Neil Gerace" wrote in
:

One wonders why C++ wasn't named ++C. Both the C and '1984' references
would be covered by that.

"I picked C++ because it was short, had nice interpretations, and wasn't of
the form "adjective C." In C, ++ can, depending on context, be read as
"next," "successor," or "increment," though it is always pronounced "plus
plus." The name C++ and its runner up ++C are fertile sources for jokes
and puns -- almost all of which were known and appreciated before the name
was chosen. The name C++ was suggested by Rick Mascitti. It was first
used in December of 1983 when it was edited into the final copies of
[Stroustroup,1984] and [Stroustroup,1984c]."

"The Design and Evolution of C++", Bjarne Stroustrup, p. 64

--
I was punching a text message into my phone | Reed Snellenberger
yesterday and thought, "They need to make a | rsnellenberger

Old August 6th 06, 01:49 AM posted to sci.space.history
bjarne

Reed wrote:
"Neil Gerace" wrote in
:

Yes; see also http://www.research.att.com/~bs/bs_faq.html#name

-- Bjarne Stroustrup; http://www.research.att.com/~bs

Old August 6th 06, 04:06 AM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected]

What the hell is your point? That Christianity does battle against
medical opiates, thanks to America?

First of all, "Chris", trim your posts,okay? Secondly, the answer
to your inane query can be found in 2nd John 2:17.
Old August 6th 06, 04:09 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Chris Jones wrote:Jeff

As well it should be, "Jeff". America, God bless her, is a Christian
nation. Pardon me for trampling your sensibilities, if you're a
Godless atheist.

Besides godless atheists, what other kinds are there? (Never mind,
it's a rhetorical question.)

What the hell is your point? That Christianity does battle against
medical opiates, thanks to America?

Jesus was a mushroom: http://www.egodeath.com/amanita.htm :-D

Pat