Will the Hubble Space Telescope fall to Earth?

Old December 5th 03, 09:10 PM
John Doe

Default Will the Hubble Space Telescope fall to Earth?

I recall hearing the HST will fall to Earth within a year or so. Is that
correct? If so, anybody have an approximate time for that?

Mainly curious. Many thanks in advance.

Old December 5th 03, 09:15 PM
Paul S. Walsh

I don't believe any final decisions have been reached - here's a article
that discusses the subject:

http://www.space.com/businesstechnol...se_030804.html

(you may need to cut and paste the link elements in your browser)

-Paul S. Walsh

news

Old December 5th 03, 09:16 PM
Howard Lester

"John Doe" wrote

I recall hearing the HST will fall to Earth within a year or so. Is that
correct? If so, anybody have an approximate time for that?

I believe it's scheduled for April 31, 2005, landing in my back yard. I have
a Vixen GP-DX all ready for it. The NICMOS people downstairs'll be ****ed,
for sure.

Old December 5th 03, 10:01 PM
Jb2269

Was it Newton who is quoted as saying that what goes up must come down.
Probably not. But all the space craft and resultant junk will fall back to the
planet eventually. Although the atmosphere is highly tenuous up there, over
time it will aerobrake the satellites.
Bill Bambrick
41 N, 73 W, 95 ASL
Old December 5th 03, 11:00 PM
CeeBee

"Howard Lester" wrote in sci.astro.amateur:

I believe it's scheduled for April 31, 2005, landing in my back yard.
I have a Vixen GP-DX all ready for it. The NICMOS people downstairs'll
be ****ed, for sure.

It will be crowded in your back yard that day. I'll bring some ugly guys
with sun glasses with me to do the carrying - of course. By April 32, when
I get home, I hope I'll get it to make the turn on the stairs to place it
in my study.

--
CeeBee

"I am not a crook"

Google CeeBee @ www.geocities.com/ceebee_2

Old December 6th 03, 04:08 AM
Mark Gingrich

Howard Lester wrote:

I believe it's scheduled for April 31, 2005, landing in my back yard. ...

To help you catch the incoming Hubble Space Telescope, Howard, you're
more than welcome to borrow my monster-size baseball mitt. I keep it
stored in San Francisco, in the edifice formerly known as Pacific Bell
Park, propped up behind the left-field bleachers....

--
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Mark Gingrich San Leandro, California
Old December 6th 03, 11:06 AM
Chris Marriott

"Jb2269" wrote in message
Was it Newton who is quoted as saying that what goes up must come

down.
Probably not. But all the space craft and resultant junk will fall back to

the
planet eventually. Although the atmosphere is highly tenuous up there,

over
time it will aerobrake the satellites.

Is that really true for _all_ satellites, Bill?

You're right of course when it comes to objects in low orbit, such as HST,
but my understanding was that objects in geostationary orbit, for example,
are effectively "permanent".

Regards,

Chris

Old December 6th 03, 07:09 PM
David Knisely

John Doe wrote:

I recall hearing the HST will fall to Earth within a year or so. Is that
correct?

No, it will be nearly 10 years before HST may come down. If servicing
missions are mounted, there will likely be reboosts to extend the orbital
lifetime. Clear skies to you.
--
David W. Knisely
Prairie Astronomy Club:

* July 18-23, 2004, Merritt Reservoir *
* http://www.NebraskaStarParty.org *

Old December 6th 03, 08:35 PM
Jb2269

Chris,
Other than the moon which is being accelerated away from the Earth by
tidal friction, I think all other satellites will fall. Metallic geostationary
satellites may feel electromagnetic braking from restistive dissipation of ring
currents generated as they pass through the Earth's magnetic field. Like a
short circuited generator
Bill Bambrick
41 N, 73 W, 95 ASL