Dr. Ernst Stuhlinger has died

Old May 25th 08, 10:02 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.space.planetary
Pat Flannery

Default Dr. Ernst Stuhlinger has died

On of the last original members of WvB's Peenemunde team has died:
http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewnews.html?id=1291
If the name doesn't ring a bell, one of his ion-powered spaceship
designs almost certainly will:
http://davidszondy.com/future/space/ionships.htm
Yes, the ones that were in the Disney television production "Mars and
Beyond".
There's a 1962 ion-powered Mars ship he also designed he
http://www.astronautix.com/craft/stus1962.htm
If Phoenix lands on Mars successfully today, you can bet that something
in the vicinity of the landing site will get named after Stuhlinger...it
would be nifty to name the landing site "Stuhlinger Station" wouldn't
it? Considering how much that Disney program did to heighten interest in
Mars exploration, he certainly deserves it.

Pat
Old May 26th 08, 03:18 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
eyeball

On May 25, 4:02 pm, Pat Flannery wrote:
On of the last original members of WvB's Peenemunde team has died:http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewnews.html?id=1291
If the name doesn't ring a bell, one of his ion-powered spaceship
designs almost certainly will:http://davidszondy.com/future/space/ionships.htm
Yes, the ones that were in the Disney television production "Mars and
Beyond".
There's a 1962 ion-powered Mars ship he also designed hehttp://www.astronautix.com/craft/stus1962.htm
If Phoenix lands on Mars successfully today, you can bet that something
in the vicinity of the landing site will get named after Stuhlinger...it
would be nifty to name the landing site "Stuhlinger Station" wouldn't
it? Considering how much that Disney program did to heighten interest in
Mars exploration, he certainly deserves it.

Pat

I would imagine his Nazi association, no matter how slight, will
eliminate any chance of naming anything after him, on PC grounds.
Old May 26th 08, 03:25 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
kT

On May 25, 9:18 pm, eyeball wrote:
[...]

Tell us, oh wise one, why would a dead man care what one does or does
not name after them, or why would anyone alive care either?

You've really got some ****ed up priorities there, gringo.

Or is it gaucho?
Old May 26th 08, 02:29 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
[email protected]

On May 25, 10:18 pm, eyeball wrote:

I would imagine his Nazi association, no matter how slight, will
eliminate any chance of naming anything after him, on PC grounds.

Given that the communists -- Russian and Chinese -- have killed
several times the number of humans the Nazis killed, why are Nazis
hated so profoundly and viscerally? Seems to me that the numbers say
that we should never name anything after Gagarin and that crew, first.

Mike
Old May 26th 08, 03:39 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Matt

Stuhlinger was a great help when Erika Lishock and I were writing the
book "The First Space Race" (Texas A&M, 2004) about the early
satellites. As the last member of von Braun's inner circle, he helped
us get the atmosphere right and provided some unique stories. He read
over the manuscript and wrote an effusive note saying we had made
those pioneering days "come alive again."
Farewell, Dr. Stuhlinger.

Matt Bille
Sci/Tech news and comment:
http//mattbille.blogspot.com

Old May 26th 08, 04:00 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
eyeball

On May 25, 9:25 pm, kT scribbled:

Tell us, oh wise one, why would a dead man care what one does or does
not name after them, or why would anyone alive care either?

You've really got some ****ed up priorities there, gringo.

Or is it gaucho?

I hope you get the chance to find out.
Don't you get tired of letting everyone see your ass?
Old May 26th 08, 04:00 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
eyeball

On May 26, 8:29 am, " wrote:
On May 25, 10:18 pm, eyeball wrote:

I would imagine his Nazi association, no matter how slight, will
eliminate any chance of naming anything after him, on PC grounds.

Given that the communists -- Russian and Chinese -- have killed
several times the number of humans the Nazis killed, why are Nazis
hated so profoundly and viscerally? Seems to me that the numbers say
that we should never name anything after Gagarin and that crew, first.

Mike

I didn't invent political correctness, I just suffer through it like
anyone else.
Old May 26th 08, 04:28 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
kT

On May 25, 9:25 pm, kT scribbled:

Old May 26th 08, 04:29 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
kT

On May 26, 10:00 am, eyeball wrote:
On May 25, 9:25 pm, kT scribbled:

Tell us, oh wise one, why would a dead man care what one does or does
not name after them, or why would anyone alive care either?

You've really got some ****ed up priorities there, gringo.

Or is it gaucho?

I hope you get the chance to find out.
Don't you get tired of letting everyone see your ass?

You're the one with the crackpot ideas of what's relevant about
reality, not I. Everything has to have a name, right? Hahahah ahaha
ahaha ...

****ing rubes.
Old May 26th 08, 05:10 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
eyeball

On May 26, 10:29 am, kT shared his award with
us:

http://www.kneedeepinthehooah.com/wp...ass-award2.jpg