The real Pleiades

Old November 25th 07, 03:08 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Buffalo Gump

Default The real Pleiades

What a cluster.

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/msnbc/Co...ow_hmed_4p.jpg

Old November 25th 07, 03:17 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Buffalo Gump wrote:

What a cluster.

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/msnbc/Co...1114/071114_st
arblastarrow_hmed_4p.jpg

Whatever. Where's the story that goes with the photo?

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
Old November 25th 07, 03:33 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
VicXnews

Davoud wrote in :

Buffalo Gump wrote:

What a cluster.

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/msnbc/Co...vel/071114/071
114_st arblastarrow_hmed_4p.jpg

Whatever. Where's the story that goes with the photo?

Davoud

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21794447/

New Earths may be popping up in Pleiades
Hot dust particles could represent planetary building blocks, scientists
say

Small, rocky planets that could resemble Earth or Mars may be forming
around one of the hundreds of stars in the Pleiades cluster, astronomers
reported Wednesday.

The star, known as HD 23514, is surrounded by an extraordinary number of
hot dust particles that could be the “building blocks of planets.” said
Inseok Song, a staff scientist at NASA’s Spitzer Science Center at the
California Institute of Technology.

“This is the first clear evidence for planet formation in the Pleiades, and
the results we are presenting may well be the first observational evidence
that terrestrial planets like those in our solar system are quite common,”
said Joseph Rhee of the University of California at Los Angeles, who led
the study.

There is “hundreds of thousands of times as much dust as around our sun,”
said Benjamin Zuckerman, a UCLA professor of physics and astronomy. “The
dust must be the debris from a monster collision, a cosmic catastrophe.”

The team used NASA's infrared Spitzer Space Telescope as well as the Gemini
North telescope in Hawaii to detect the dust. The resulting findings are
reported in the Astrophysical Journal.

Located about 400 light-years away in the constellation of Taurus, the
Pleiades is one of the best-known star clusters and among the closest to
Earth. A light-year is the distance light travels in a year, about 5.8
trillion miles.

Image: Pleiades star cluster
Inseok Song / Digital Sky Survey
A color composite image shows the Pleiades star cluster, with the star HD
23514 indicated by a red arrow. Click on the image to see a larger version
of the picture.
The grouping has been named the Seven Sisters, after the seven brightest
stars, but there are far more than those seven stars in the cluster. “The
cluster actually contains some 1,400 stars,” said Song.

HD 23514 is only slightly more massive and more luminous than our sun, but
far younger. While our sun is thought to be 4.5 billion years old, the
stars of the Pleiades are relative adolescents, with ages in the range of
100 million years.

Infant stars are surrounded by clouds of dust, but this star ranks among
the dustiest not-so-young stars in the sky, Song said. The best explanation
for the amount of dust would be violent collisions of massive objects. Song
said the dust can accumulate into comets and small asteroid-size bodies,
and then clump together to form planetary embryos, and finally full-fledged
planets.

“In the process of creating rocky, terrestrial planets, some objects
collide and grow into planets, while others shatter into dust; we are
seeing that dust,” Song said.

“Our observations indicate that terrestrial planets similar to those in our
solar system are probably quite common,” Zuckerman added.

Researchers have observed about 200 planets around stars outside our solar
system but none are as small as Earth and just one, spotted earlier this
year, appears potentially capable of supporting life.
Old November 25th 07, 05:36 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
reply to draft dodger

and the Fake one is where? In a CIA vault ? Purdie funnie.
so whats the Real story about LSU and Kansas?
I can hardly wait -