Astro: Delphinus' other globular

Old October 21st 08, 06:50 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default Astro: Delphinus' other globular

The other globular in Delphinus is much more distant, being far beyond
the normally considered radius of the galaxy's halo. It is thought to
be about 125 thousand light years from the galaxy's core and over 135
thousand light years from us. Still it is a surprisingly bright object,
easily seen in a 6" scope. But at its great distance I've never seen
even a hint of resolution of any of its stars in my 10" scope. It is
just a ball of light visually. Again, like NGC 6934 I imaged this one
at 0.5" per pixel, but on a slightly better night.

It is the distant spiral galaxies that make this shot interesting.
Surprisingly, to me anyway, several bright ones are not cataloged by any
catalog I can find. MGC+03-53-011 is the spiral west (right) of the
globular and is about 340 million light years distant. MGC+03-53-010 is
the vertical spiral at the very bottom of the page and is a tad over 500
million light years away. Unfortunately I didn't realize its full
extent and left some of it out of frame. Above it and slightly to the
right, just above an arc of stars is another spiral AGC 300174 and it
like MGC+03-53-011 is about 340 million light years away. They are
likely members of the same group. Near the lower left corner is the
rather bright elliptical galaxy MGC+03-53-012. Like MGC+03-53-10 it is
just over 500 million light years away. So those two are also likely
related. Another spiral, again partly cut off at the bottom of the
image is 2MASX J21012393+1605343 ID. I can find no data on it. The
rest of the galaxies are in no catalog I have access too. I do need to
add to my library it seems.

At the top of the image just left of center is a blue star. Below it is
a curving arc of fainter stars. The first one is about the same shade
of blue as the first star, just fainter. Actually it isn't a star at
all. It is another quasar, QSO B2059+1604 and is listed by NED as being
10.221 billion light years away. It is blue, contrary to the oddly red
one in my last update that was also at about the same distance.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=4x10' binned 1x1, RGB=2x10' binned 2x2,
STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC7006L4X10X1RGB1X10X2.jpg
Views:	545
Size:	333.9 KB
ID:	2233
Old October 22nd 08, 07:24 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
J McBride

Nice image Rick. The galaxies really add to the distance factor of this
cluster.

Joe

ster.com...

----

Old October 22nd 08, 10:11 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Great picture Rick, your image makes the glob look better than it actually
is and there is nice detail in some of the galaxies.

Stefan

ster.com...