Yearly memorial launch stand down.

Old February 2nd 04, 03:04 PM
Hallerb

Default Yearly memorial launch stand down.

Perhaps this sad time of the year should be marked dfor no new launches? In
respect for the people who died and their loved ones left behind.

No launches or landings scheduled would be a fitting tribuite. Have all the
employees surveyed yearly for safety issues too.
Old February 2nd 04, 03:57 PM
Scott Hedrick

"Hallerb" wrote in message
No launches or landings scheduled would be a fitting tribuite.

AH, yes, it figures that *you* would consider making their deaths useless to
be a "fitting tribute".

Old February 2nd 04, 08:11 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Scott Hedrick
writes

"Hallerb" wrote in message
No launches or landings scheduled would be a fitting tribuite.

AH, yes, it figures that *you* would consider making their deaths useless to
be a "fitting tribute".

Allen Steele suggests just this idea in his novel "Orbital Decay".

'However, in a sacred tradition dating from 1986, no manned or unmanned
rockets were ever launched from the Kennedy Space Center on January 28'.

I'm a sentimental guy, and my hair stood on end when I read his story of
the Challenger Ghost.
--
Save the Hubble Space Telescope!
Old February 2nd 04, 08:41 PM
Hallerb

AH, yes, it figures that *you* would consider making their deaths useless to
be a "fitting tribute".

Ahh you must admit how all the bad stuff occured about the same time. Call it
bad luck or whatever. A short stand down might be prudent.

I know a fellow who was and perhaps still is a hubble controller. He remarked
that challenger was the first shuttle launch he ever missed watching. Even
highly intelligent folks wonder about things like this.
Old February 2nd 04, 09:26 PM
Scott Hedrick

"Jonathan Silverlight" wrote
in message ...
In message , Scott Hedrick
writes

"Hallerb" wrote in message
No launches or landings scheduled would be a fitting tribuite.

AH, yes, it figures that *you* would consider making their deaths useless

be a "fitting tribute".

Allen Steele suggests just this idea in his novel "Orbital Decay".

'However, in a sacred tradition dating from 1986, no manned or unmanned
rockets were ever launched from the Kennedy Space Center on January 28'.

I'm a sentimental guy, and my hair stood on end when I read his story of
the Challenger Ghost.

Well, ISTR at least one Japanese launch facility has to shut down for at
least two months because of fishing season.

Right now, NASA should be spending buckets of money on the launch
facilities. With no launches expected for months, this would be the time to
check wiring, paint, scrub and clean and do all the maintenance that was
deferred because of the launch schedule.

All the critical maintenance gets done, but now is the time for "spring
cleaning".

Old February 2nd 04, 09:46 PM
Derek Lyons

"Scott Hedrick" wrote:

Right now, NASA should be spending buckets of money on the launch
facilities. With no launches expected for months, this would be the time to
check wiring, paint, scrub and clean and do all the maintenance that was
deferred because of the launch schedule.

Assuming that Congress has funded the money to do the maintenance, you
are correct. Meanwhile, there is almost nothing that has been stopped
so that you can re-direct funds to maintenance.

D.
--
The STS-107 Columbia Loss FAQ can be found
at the following URLs:

Text-Only Version:
http://www.io.com/~o_m/columbia_loss_faq.html

Enhanced HTML Version:

Corrections, comments, and additions should be
e-mailed to , as well as posted to
sci.space.history and sci.space.shuttle for
discussion.
Old February 3rd 04, 04:01 AM
Scott Hedrick

"Derek Lyons" wrote in message
Assuming that Congress has funded the money to do the maintenance, you
are correct. Meanwhile, there is almost nothing that has been stopped
so that you can re-direct funds to maintenance.

That's rather my point. Right now is the time, if it's going to be done, to
make a special appropriation of a couple of hundred million dollars for the
launch facilities. Surely this would be money well-spent, would increase
safety and would save money in the long run.

Old February 3rd 04, 06:00 AM
Hallerb

That's rather my point. Right now is the time, if it's going to be done, to
make a special appropriation of a couple of hundred million dollars for the
launch facilities. Surely this would be money well-spent, would increase
safety and would save money in the long run.

I agree but really think the shuttles days are numbered. Another accident or
close call and the next use of the pads and VAB will be for tourists.