Station, satellite get image of Frances as NASA prepares for Storm

Old September 1st 04, 10:15 AM
Jacques van Oene

Default Station, satellite get image of Frances as NASA prepares for Storm

Melissa Mathews/Gretchen Cook-Anderson
Headquarters, Washington August 31, 2004
(Phone: 202/358-1272, -0836)

Mike Rein
Kennedy Space Center, Fla.
(Phone: 321/867-2468)

James Hartsfield
Johnson Space Center, Houston
(Phone: 281/483-5111)

NOTE TO EDITORS: N04-131

STATION, SATELLITE GET IMAGES OF FRANCES AS NASA PREPARES FOR
STORM

NASA is keeping a close watch over Hurricane Frances as
it churns toward the United States. International Space
Station cameras are capturing spectacular images of the storm
from above. On the Florida coast, NASA's Kennedy Space Center
(KSC) is making preparations to protect the Space Shuttle
fleet, spacecraft hardware, and facilities against damage.

Video of Hurricane Frances taken by external television
cameras aboard the Space Station at about 7:30 a.m. EDT today
vividly depicts a classically shaped storm in the Atlantic
Ocean. The video, along with additional views captured during
the weekend, is airing on the NASA TV Video File throughout
the day. NASA will release new footage of Frances as it
becomes available.

NASA also has still images of the storm, taken by Astronaut
Mike Fincke aboard the International Space Station, as well
as NASA's Terra satellite. They're available at:

http://www.nasa.gov/vision/earth/loo...h/frances.html

At KSC, workers are powering down the Space Shuttle orbiters,
closing their payload bay doors and stowing their landing
gear. They are also taking precautions against flooding by
moving spacecraft hardware off the ground and sandbagging
facilities. NASA plans to release video of these activities
beginning tomorrow.

NASA TV is available on the Web and via satellite, in the
continental U.S. on AMC-6, Transponder 9C, C-Band, located at
72 degrees west longitude. The frequency is 3880.0 MHz.
Polarization is vertical, and audio is monaural at 6.80 MHz.
In Alaska and Hawaii, NASA TV is available on AMC-7,
Transponder 18C, C-Band, located at 137 degrees west
longitude. Frequency is 4060.0 MHz. Polarization is vertical,
and audio is monaural at 6.80 MHz.

-end-

--
---------------------------

Jacques :-)

www.spacepatches.info

Old September 1st 04, 10:38 AM
Tim K.

"Jacques van Oene" wrote in message

On the Florida coast, NASA's Kennedy Space Center
(KSC) is making preparations to protect the Space Shuttle
fleet, spacecraft hardware, and facilities against damage.

Yesterday it was sorta like an anthill that had been kicked. Orderly but
purposeful.
If it ain't tied down, chuck it in the VAB...

Old September 1st 04, 12:16 PM
bob haller

On the Florida coast, NASA's Kennedy Space Center
(KSC) is making preparations to protect the Space Shuttle
fleet, spacecraft hardware, and facilities against damage.

Ideally the storm would take out the VAB, and damage the orbiters enough so
their flying days would be over, but they would still make nice exhibits. A
tornado hitting a completely evacuated VAB would be just about right.

This would force the US to get moving on something new...
HAVE A GREAT DAY!
Old September 1st 04, 02:36 PM
Irwin Fletcher

"bob haller" wrote:
On the Florida coast, NASA's Kennedy Space Center
(KSC) is making preparations to protect the Space Shuttle
fleet, spacecraft hardware, and facilities against damage.

Ideally the storm would take out the VAB, and damage the orbiters
enough so their flying days would be over, but they would still make
nice exhibits. A tornado hitting a completely evacuated VAB would
be just about right.

Here's hoping a category 4 hurricane barrels through your living room and
damages your computer & internet connection enough so your posting days
would be over.

Old September 1st 04, 03:14 PM
Brian Gaff

Is the VAB secure against these recent super storms?

I'd hate to see a chunk of it come down inside.

Brian

Email:
__________________________________

"Tim K." wrote in message
om...

"Jacques van Oene" wrote in message

On the Florida coast, NASA's Kennedy Space Center
(KSC) is making preparations to protect the Space Shuttle
fleet, spacecraft hardware, and facilities against damage.

Yesterday it was sorta like an anthill that had been kicked. Orderly but
purposeful.
If it ain't tied down, chuck it in the VAB...

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old September 1st 04, 07:12 PM
Allen Thomson

"Tim K." wrote

If it ain't tied down, chuck it in the VAB...

What are they doing with the Titan IV B and the Delta IV Heavy?
Old September 1st 04, 07:25 PM
Damon Hill

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 11:12:35 -0700, Allen Thomson wrote:

"Tim K." wrote

If it ain't tied down, chuck it in the VAB...

What are they doing with the Titan IV B and the Delta IV Heavy?

The pad gantry will be moved up to surround the Delta IV-H; I assume the
same could be done for the Titan IV. After that, we just hope the storm's
not too severe and that everything holds together.

Much as my sister in nearby Mims is doing. She didn't get any significant
damage from Charlie, but a neighbor lost their mobile home and their
unfinished house is exposed to the weather..

Worst case scenario: if the VAB goes, how do we recover from that? Seems
that would kill ISS for all intents and purposes.

(plonking hallerb in advance)

==Damon, hoping for his sister's sake this won't be so bad
Old September 1st 04, 08:26 PM
Andrew Gray

On 2004-09-01, Damon Hill wrote:

Worst case scenario: if the VAB goes, how do we recover from that? Seems
that would kill ISS for all intents and purposes.

The VAB being totalled is one of those things that'd make reactivating
SLC-6 seem almost economical...

I assume the orbiters are in the OPF? I can't seem to find a direct
reference for that; regardless, they're specced for lower winds than the
VAB, which surprises me a bit.

http://www.nasawatch.com/archives/000121.html has some comments.

--
-Andrew Gray

Old September 1st 04, 08:36 PM
Andrew Gray

On 2004-09-01, Damon Hill wrote:

Worst case scenario: if the VAB goes, how do we recover from that? Seems
that would kill ISS for all intents and purposes.

The VAB being totalled is one of those things that'd make reactivating
SLC-6 seem almost economical...

I assume the orbiters are in the OPF? I can't seem to find a direct
reference for that; regardless, they're specced for lower winds than the
VAB, which surprises me a bit.

http://www.nasawatch.com/archives/000121.html has some comments.

Also: http://www.spaceflightnow.com/hurricane/status.html has current
(fcvo current) status of the hurricane.

--
-Andrew Gray

Old September 1st 04, 08:55 PM
Jeff Findley

. ..
On 2004-09-01, Damon Hill wrote:

Worst case scenario: if the VAB goes, how do we recover from that?

Seems
that would kill ISS for all intents and purposes.

The VAB being totalled is one of those things that'd make reactivating
SLC-6 seem almost economical...

I assume the orbiters are in the OPF? I can't seem to find a direct
reference for that; regardless, they're specced for lower winds than the
VAB, which surprises me a bit.

http://www.nasawatch.com/archives/000121.html has some comments.

Like this:
The Orbiter Processing Facility is constructed of concrete and
steel and was designed to withstand winds of 105 mph. The Vehicle
Assembly Building is constructed of concrete and steel and was
designed to withstand winds of 125 mph. Other payload and flight
hardware support facilities can endure winds of 110 mph. Launch
pads and the Payload Hazardous Servicing Facility can withstand
125-mph winds.

If you've lost the VAB, you've lost everything, since the VAB (and the pads)
can handle the highest wind loads. Because of this, if the wind is bad
enough to destroy the VAB, everything else would be destroyed as well.

Once you've lost everything at KSC (sbuttles and any hardware waiting there
for launch), ISS is toast, at least from the US point of view. I'm sure the
Russians and the other partners would keep it going for as long as possible,
but it would be a death blow to the program.

Jeff