"Best" digital camera

Old November 23rd 03, 07:58 PM
scott

Default "Best" digital camera

Hello Group,

My wife has been agitating for a digital camera for x-mas. We
currently do not own a digital camera. My thoughts towards buying a
digital camera is that it must serve my wife's demands (family
snapshots, etc.) and my desires to attach it to a telescope. My scope
is a 4" f6 refractor.

Does anyone have a suggestion on the "best" camera for this purpose?
What make, model are people having the best results from?

Thanks in advance,

Scott
Old November 23rd 03, 08:37 PM
Al

I think you will like the Canon Rebel D, SLR. Not only will this allow you
to take images of bright objects (moon, planets), but you can also do DSO's,
as the camera will take images without noise for exposures much longer than
you thought was possible. This means that you can take pictures of dim
nebula, even without guiding. The only down side of the camera is the
price. The lowest price I've seen for the camera (without lens) is $718.

Al

m...

Old November 23rd 03, 08:53 PM
Phil

Generally, a digital SLR (e.g., Canon 300D/Digital Rebel) is best,
since you can use the telescope as the lens. Non-dSLRs require an
afocal approach and you have much more glass in the loop.

Phil

Old November 23rd 03, 09:10 PM
Brian Tung

Bill Becker wrote:
You find somebody around here with a huge ego and borrow their hat. Me
running and ducking

Oops, never mind--I don't have a hat.

Brian Tung
My Own Personal FAQ (SAA) at http://astro.isi.edu/reference/faq.txt
Old November 23rd 03, 10:14 PM
Alan W. Craft

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 19:37:03 GMT, "Al" ...reflected:

I think you will like the Canon Rebel D, SLR. Not only will this allow you
to take images of bright objects (moon, planets), but you can also do DSO's,
as the camera will take images without noise for exposures much longer than
you thought was possible. This means that you can take pictures of dim
nebula, even without guiding. The only down side of the camera is the
price. The lowest price I've seen for the camera (without lens) is $718.

Al

If everyone would stop running out to buy it the price would drop.

We're all at the mercy of the other fellow's sense of value, I'm afraid.

"scott" wrote in message
om...
Hello Group,

My wife has been agitating for a digital camera for x-mas. We
currently do not own a digital camera. My thoughts towards buying a
digital camera is that it must serve my wife's demands (family
snapshots, etc.) and my desires to attach it to a telescope. My scope
is a 4" f6 refractor.

Does anyone have a suggestion on the "best" camera for this purpose?
What make, model are people having the best results from?

Thanks in advance,

Scott

Alan

Old November 23rd 03, 11:18 PM
David Nakamoto

"Bill Becker" wrote in message
You find somebody around here with a huge ego and borrow their hat. Me
running and ducking

More seriously, but not by much, you're gonna need a friend to hold some
kind of suitable obstruction in front
of the objective until the vibes stop...unless you got arms like Freddy
Krueger.

Sorry, it's Sunday AND the first day of my vacation.

A N D . . . it shows. ^_^

Good luck and best regards,

Lotsa Luck to you too ! ^_^

Old November 23rd 03, 11:19 PM
David Nakamoto

"Eddie Trimarchi" wrote in message
I use the 10-second timer on my Sony Cybershot to allow some time for
settling.

That won't work on a 4300 Coolpix. Tried it, it didn't like it. You need
to hold the shutter release button down during a bulb setting, and as I
said, the 4300 doesn't accept any shutter release cable.

Old November 23rd 03, 11:35 PM
CW

"scott" wrote in message
m...
Hello Group,

My wife has been agitating for a digital camera for x-mas. We
currently do not own a digital camera. My thoughts towards buying a
digital camera is that it must serve my wife's demands (family
snapshots, etc.) and my desires to attach it to a telescope. My scope
is a 4" f6 refractor.

Does anyone have a suggestion on the "best" camera for this purpose?
What make, model are people having the best results from?

Thanks in advance,

Scott

Easy - the Canon 10D. Just look at the results posted various astro web
sites. Only two drawbacks that I can think of, it is not cheap and if your
wife had her heart set on a light weight point and shoot the Canon is not
that! It is as heavy as most film SLR's.
Chuck

Old November 24th 03, 01:00 AM
Steve Little

"David Nakamoto" wrote in message
"Eddie Trimarchi" wrote in message
I use the 10-second timer on my Sony Cybershot to allow some time for
settling.

That won't work on a 4300 Coolpix. Tried it, it didn't like it. You

need
to hold the shutter release button down during a bulb setting, and as I
said, the 4300 doesn't accept any shutter release cable.

On my CP5000 I bought a 6" piece of aluminum flat stock (1/4" thick x 3/4"
wide). Drilled a 1/4" hole near one end, attached it to the tripod mount
hole. Bent it around the side of the camera and up over the shutter release
button, marked the center of button on the flat stock. Drilled and tapped a
hole at that spot to screw in an old Pentax release cable with the lock
screw on it that holds the release in for you. I just push the manual
release in (the little nib comes out and holds the button down), tighten the
lock screw, and uncover the scope.

Steve