Good News: Slow, but steady progress

Old January 10th 18, 08:32 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

Default Good News: Slow, but steady progress

On Tuesday, 9 January 2018 18:16:52 UTC+1, Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy wrote:

Nature's not entirely alone, when it come to Dyson's, which have "the
proper amount of suckage, er, suction."

A surprising number of online forums used to automatically block the use of the term suck[tion.] How they coped on vampire support forums I have absolutely no idea. It must have sucked the life out of many of them.

"Suck" is, I believe, a popular, derogatory Americanism amongst the linguistically immature. i.e. Those given to saying "OMG" to describe literally everything from dropping a single, worthless item. To being confronted by wholesale, nuclear Armageddon on their own doorstep. Hope this helps?

Old January 10th 18, 04:29 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy[_2_]

"Chris.B" wrote in
:

Carrying Sissy wrote:

Nature's not entirely alone, when it come to Dyson's, which
have "the proper amount of suckage, er, suction."

A surprising number of online forums used to automatically block
the use of the term suck[tion.] How they coped on vampire
support forums I have absolutely no idea. It must have sucked
the life out of many of them.

"Suck" is, I believe, a popular, derogatory Americanism amongst
the linguistically immature. i.e. Those given to saying "OMG" to
describe literally everything from dropping a single, worthless
item. To being confronted by wholesale, nuclear Armageddon on
their own doorstep. Hope this helps?

I suspect blocking that particular word has more to do with what
people are often told *to* suck, rather than the generic "that is
undesirabl" context.

I've yet to see an online forum that didn't suck, though. It's
inherent to the nature of the medium.

--
Terry Austin

Vacation photos from Iceland:

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

Old January 10th 18, 06:30 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

Way back in the early days of the internet I wanted to find articles regarding naked-eye astronomy but was blocked from doing so because of the word 'naked'. It was very frustrating...
Old January 10th 18, 07:38 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

On Wednesday, 10 January 2018 18:30:50 UTC+1, palsing wrote:
Way back in the early days of the internet I wanted to find articles regarding naked-eye astronomy but was blocked from doing so because of the word 'naked'. It was very frustrating...

I find it difficult to imagine a nudist/naturist branch of amateur astronomy.
It is just so wrong on so many levels. ;-)
Old January 10th 18, 07:54 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mike Collins[_4_]

palsing wrote:
Way back in the early days of the internet I wanted to find articles
regarding naked-eye astronomy but was blocked from doing so because of
the word 'naked'. It was very frustrating...

I had a similar experience with a Leeds University PC. The university
blocked access to the home page of a local Quaker astronomer citing Sex and
hate mail. When I went home and looked up the site on my own PC I finally
concluded that the university had blocked Sextans and HTML.

Old January 10th 18, 08:15 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Wednesday, January 10, 2018 at 11:38:45 AM UTC-7, Chris.B wrote:
On Wednesday, 10 January 2018 18:30:50 UTC+1, palsing wrote:

Way back in the early days of the internet I wanted to find articles
regarding naked-eye astronomy but was blocked from doing so because
of the word 'naked'. It was very frustrating...

I find it difficult to imagine a nudist/naturist branch of amateur astronomy.
It is just so wrong on so many levels. ;-)

Just that it gets rather cold at night, to start with...

But I was thinking of the annoyances the people of S****horpe have to
live with.

John Savard
Old January 11th 18, 10:29 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

My poor language and behavior years ago was conditioned by a belief that I was dealing with wolves in sheep clothing but realized over the years it was something far worse - under the skin of howling wolves is a sheepish mindset.

Mediocrity is something to be endured for it is impossible to deal with people for whom neither life nor death has any meaning.
Old January 12th 18, 07:06 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

On Monday, 8 January 2018 11:21:17 UTC-5, Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy wrote:
RichA wrote in
:

On Friday, 5 January 2018 16:54:50 UTC-5, Gutless Umbrella
Carrying Sissy wrote:
RichA wrote in
:

On Friday, 5 January 2018 00:40:20 UTC-5, Quadibloc wrote:
On getting back into space:

http://www.wmfe.org/nasa-closer-to-l...tronauts-from-
u-s -once-again/81979

John Savard

What is the point of the Starliner? It can only carry 7
people and next to no cargo. Is it that much cheaper to
build/launch than the Shuttle was?

That would be the entire point, yes, to be cheaper than the
shuttle was. That is, in fact, Musk's entire business plan: to
be cheaper than the shuttle. So far, he's been pretty
successful at it.

--
Terry Austin

Vacation photos from Iceland:

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

You comparing the crap that egomaniac puts up to the Shuttle?
HA!

People who actually know what they're talking about seem to feel
that SpaceX's rockets are something of an advance over previous
designs.

You, on the other hand, appear to be a childish idiot wracked with
jealously.

In any event, Musk's rockets are operating now, and the shuttle is
not. And it's $2,500/pound currently, expected to go down, versus
$8,000 (not adjusted for inflation) for the shuttle.

FU. Who CARES if it's a few thousand cheaper? The Shuttle was 100 TIMES more versatile than these ancient 70's era rockets.
But it's moot since the U.S. is still forced to going to RUSSIA to launch humans.
Old January 12th 18, 04:31 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

RichA wrote in
:

On Monday, 8 January 2018 11:21:17 UTC-5, Gutless Umbrella
Carrying Sissy wrote:
RichA wrote in
:

On Friday, 5 January 2018 16:54:50 UTC-5, Gutless Umbrella
Carrying Sissy wrote:
RichA wrote in
:

On Friday, 5 January 2018 00:40:20 UTC-5, Quadibloc
wrote:
On getting back into space:

http://www.wmfe.org/nasa-closer-to-l...-astronauts-fr
om- u-s -once-again/81979

John Savard

What is the point of the Starliner? It can only carry 7
people and next to no cargo. Is it that much cheaper to
build/launch than the Shuttle was?

That would be the entire point, yes, to be cheaper than the
shuttle was. That is, in fact, Musk's entire business plan:
to be cheaper than the shuttle. So far, he's been pretty
successful at it.

--
Terry Austin

Vacation photos from Iceland:

"Terry Austin: like the polio vaccine, only with more
asshole."
-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

You comparing the crap that egomaniac puts up to the Shuttle?
HA!

People who actually know what they're talking about seem to
feel that SpaceX's rockets are something of an advance over
previous designs.

You, on the other hand, appear to be a childish idiot wracked
with jealously.

In any event, Musk's rockets are operating now, and the shuttle
is not. And it's $2,500/pound currently, expected to go down,
versus $8,000 (not adjusted for inflation) for the shuttle.

FU. Who CARES if it's a few thousand cheaper?

Anyone who wants to launch a multi-ton payload into space.

Do you regularly pay $8 for a burger when you could have it for
$2.50?

Yeah, you probably do.

The Shuttle was
100 TIMES more versatile than these ancient 70's era rockets.

Can you post a link to an operational rocket from the 70s that
could land and be resused? Because you just claimed they existed.

And no, you can't.

But it's moot since the U.S. is still forced to going to RUSSIA
to launch humans.

Until sometime (probably) this year, when the process of getting a
human rating is complete for SpaceX and ULA both.

Moron. Go maturbate to Musk's photo some more. You know you will.

Old January 12th 18, 05:40 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

"Chris.B" wrote in
:

On Friday, 12 January 2018 17:31:04 UTC+1, Jibini Kula Tumbili
Kujisalimisha wrote:

Moron. Go maturbate to Musk's photo some more. You know you
will.

Welcome to the Expanse!

Might I humbly suggest a spelling checker to avoid all possible
confusion as to your exact meaning?

If you're looking for permission, you have bigger problems than my
inability to type.

Monsieur A. Rich is a maturber from Canada, after all. Not from
the United Strumpets of America.

Which has nothing whatsoever to do with his drooling ignorance of the
technological advances between the shuttle and SpaceX's Falcon
rockets.

An easy mistake to make. From quoting his posts. ;-)

Are you his buddy? His very close friend?