More funding for NASA and space exploration

Old February 10th 09, 11:12 PM posted to sci.space.policy
jacob navia[_2_]

Default More funding for NASA and space exploration

From
http://www.space.com/news/090210-sen...ulus-bill.html
quote
WASHINGTON - The U.S. Senate passed an $838 billion economic stimulus
package Tuesday that includes $1.3 billion for NASA - more than double
the amount the House approved Jan. 28 for the U.S. space agency in its
version of the bill.

Congressional negotiators now must hammer out differences between the
Senate measure and the $819 billion House bill, which did not receive
any Republican votes
end quote

--
jacob navia
jacob at jacob point remcomp point fr
Old February 10th 09, 11:23 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
kT

Default Ares I - When Rocket Engineers Have Abortions

jacob navia wrote:

From
http://www.space.com/news/090210-sen...ulus-bill.html
quote
WASHINGTON - The U.S. Senate passed an $838 billion economic stimulus
package Tuesday that includes $1.3 billion for NASA - more than double
the amount the House approved Jan. 28 for the U.S. space agency in its
version of the bill.

Congressional negotiators now must hammer out differences between the
Senate measure and the $819 billion House bill, which did not receive
any Republican votes

Great, now those NASA idiots can throw even more money at the rocket
abortion called Ares I, a design that was extinct before it was born.

Happy Birthday Charles Darwin!
Old February 11th 09, 03:01 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
bob haller safety advocate

On Feb 10, 5:23�pm, kT wrote:
jacob navia wrote:
From
http://www.space.com/news/090210-sen...ulus-bill.html
quote
WASHINGTON - The U.S. Senate passed an $838 billion economic stimulus
package Tuesday that includes $1.3 billion for NASA - more than double
the amount the House approved Jan. 28 for the U.S. space agency in its
version of the bill.

Congressional negotiators now must hammer out differences between the
Senate measure and the $819 billion House bill, which did not receive
any Republican votes

Great, now those NASA idiots can throw even more money at the rocket
abortion called Ares I, a design that was extinct before it was born.

Happy Birthday Charles Darwin!

hopefully obama would stop ares and build something practical and
workable, money can be redirected
Old February 11th 09, 05:06 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.shuttle
John Doe

bob haller safety advocate wrote:

hopefully obama would stop ares and build something practical and
workable, money can be redirected

Isn't it more likely that NASA would simply review/change the design but
still call it Ares I ?

Seems to me that they have 3 options:

*Cancel Ares I, which basically cancels everything Bush had asked for
(capsule, launcher etc). Similar to other failed projects like those X
vehicles that were attempts at replacing the shuttle.

* Keep the project, but remove whatever political constraints which
forced that flawed design and let engineers redesign Ares I from
scratch. This allows connected projects (like the capsule) to continue
to move forwards.

* Cancel the capsule concept and order 3-4 new shuttles with same shape,
but with updated systems and materials (such as electric apus/hydrolics).

Old February 12th 09, 01:58 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.shuttle
kT

John Doe wrote:
bob haller safety advocate wrote:

hopefully obama would stop ares and build something practical and
workable, money can be redirected

Isn't it more likely that NASA would simply review/change the design but
still call it Ares I ?

Seems to me that they have 3 options:

*Cancel Ares I, which basically cancels everything Bush had asked for
(capsule, launcher etc). Similar to other failed projects like those X
vehicles that were attempts at replacing the shuttle.

That would be great.

* Keep the project, but remove whatever political constraints which
forced that flawed design and let engineers redesign Ares I from
scratch. This allows connected projects (like the capsule) to continue
to move forwards.

That capsule is like an obese woman.

* Cancel the capsule concept and order 3-4 new shuttles with same shape,
but with updated systems and materials (such as electric apus/hydrolics).

1) We already have three shuttles.
2) They are fantastically expensive.
3) Anything newer will be even more expensive.
4) You could do the same thing with modern rockets, and make all your
improvements, but skip the capsule and use a simple nosecone lifeboat.

We want freight downmass, and high flight rates. You're only going to
get that with conventional liquid fueled booster assisted bipropellent
rockets, such as for instance a five meter hydrogen core (Delta IV) and
two hydrocarbon reusable flyback or ocean recoverable boosters, for
instance, something that looks like a Falcon 1/9 or a Taurus II.

Think of it as a natural extension of the SpaceX Falcon 9 Heavy.

Sea recovery is safe and easy. The tourists will love it.

Danger and all that. We'll pick them up in a luxury boat.

And then we'll have all the components for colonization.