Galaxy hold dozens of other Earths

Old April 1st 04, 11:14 PM
Rudolph_X

Default Galaxy hold dozens of other Earths

"How Many Habitable Earths Are Out There?"

-http://www.universetoday.com/am/publ...hs.html?142004

The hardcore deadbeat skepticts are eating crow!

Old April 2nd 04, 12:53 AM
Tom McDonald

Rudolph_X wrote:
"How Many Habitable Earths Are Out There?"

-http://www.universetoday.com/am/publ...hs.html?142004

The hardcore deadbeat skepticts are eating crow!

Why?

Tom McDonald
Old April 2nd 04, 06:59 AM
John Griffin

Rudolph_X wrote:

"How Many Habitable Earths Are Out There?"

-http://www.universetoday.com/am/publ...many_habitable
_earths.html?142004

The hardcore deadbeat skepticts are eating crow!

That's a sincerely dumb remark.

The skeptics have never said that there were no other habitable
planets in the galaxy. (The one exception would be the religious
zealots who swallow the "god" stories, but they don't deserve a
complimentary term like skeptic.) The skeptics have
consistently said "Show me hard evidence and then I'll believe
it." Contrast this rational approach with the moronic
gullibility of the ****ing idiots who said "Tell me a wild story
and I'll swallow it" and ended up believing the amazingly dumb
"Planet X" nonsense, for example. Also, try to contrast it with
the article you referenced. One of your problems is that you
evidently have no idea what it says.

Old April 3rd 04, 10:02 PM
Mr. 4X

Rudolph_X wrote in message
:

"How Many Habitable Earths Are Out There?"

-http://www.universetoday.com/am/publ...ble_earths.htm
l?142004

An excellent article.

And finally a scientist thinks about MOONS OF JUPITER-LIKE GAS GIANTS
too.

BTW a planet with a 'climate' comparable to Earth could be sure still a
lot different from Earth. Different atmosphere, or maybe a totally
different life. With 'different' I don't mean something like in the
movie 'Enemy Mine'.

The hardcore deadbeat skepticts are eating crow!

huh?
Old April 3rd 04, 11:20 PM
Dave & Janelle

"Rudolph_X" wrote in message
"How Many Habitable Earths Are Out There?"

At least one. Any larger number. currently, is pure conjecture.

---
Dave Boll
http://www.daveboll.com/

Old April 7th 04, 11:43 AM
Joseph Lazio

"4" == 4X writes:

4 Rudolph_X wrote in message
4 :

"How Many Habitable Earths Are Out There?"

- http://www.universetoday.com/am/publ...hs.html?142004

4 An excellent article.

The article is at least partially wrong. We do know of two
terrestrial mass planets, they orbit the pulsar PSR B1257+12. They
are (almost certainly) not habitable, but they are Earth-mass.

4 And finally a scientist thinks about MOONS OF JUPITER-LIKE GAS
4 GIANTS too.

Huh? I have a paper in my office from 1999 in which the authors
mention the possibility of moons around extrasolar planets. Indeed, I
think I read something over the weekend about limits on the mass of
any moons around the planet orbiting HD 209458. I'm sure that soon
after the discovery of extrasolar Jovian planets there were
speculations about moons. The difficulty is putting firm
observational limits on them.

--
Lt. Lazio, HTML police | e-mail:
No means no, stop rape. |
Old April 7th 04, 04:45 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Joseph Lazio
writes
"4" == 4X writes:

4 Rudolph_X wrote in message
4 :

"How Many Habitable Earths Are Out There?"

-
http://www.universetoday.com/am/publ...le_earths.html
?142004

4 An excellent article.

The article is at least partially wrong. We do know of two
terrestrial mass planets, they orbit the pulsar PSR B1257+12. They
are (almost certainly) not habitable, but they are Earth-mass.

4 And finally a scientist thinks about MOONS OF JUPITER-LIKE GAS
4 GIANTS too.

Huh? I have a paper in my office from 1999 in which the authors
mention the possibility of moons around extrasolar planets. Indeed, I
think I read something over the weekend about limits on the mass of
any moons around the planet orbiting HD 209458. I'm sure that soon
after the discovery of extrasolar Jovian planets there were
speculations about moons. The difficulty is putting firm
observational limits on them.

1999 is positively recent :-) The idea really hit the headlines with the
fourth moon of Yavin, and James Blish used the idea in his novel "And
All The Stars a Stage" (1972). I'd guess that serious writings about
habitable moons of gas giants inspired Blish, at least.
--
Save the Hubble Space Telescope!