Scottish holidays

Old October 16th 05, 07:36 AM
Jim

Default Scottish holidays

Just got back from two weeks in Scotland, on the north bank of Loch Tay
close to the town of Lawers. Anyone planning on going there is going to
have some pretty good skies. First time I've ever seen M31 with the
naked eye..!

The weather wasn't good for astronomy sadly, as we had only one 45min
clear patch in the first week when the moon wasn't a problem. I can
report that the Veil was much, much clearer and better defined in my 5"
f5 achro in Scotland than in my 10" f4.8 Newt at home. I was also able
to properly see the North America nebula - under dark skies there's
simply no doubt that you're seeing it.

My numbers had better come up soon because I'd move there tomorrow if I
could.

Jim
--
Find me at http://www.ursaminorbeta.co.uk AIM/iChatAV: JCAndrew2
Lost: Stack Pointer. Small reward offered if found.
Old October 16th 05, 09:59 AM
zAz \(Dan\)

"Jim"
My numbers had better come up soon because I'd move there tomorrow if I
could.

Trouble is Jim, isn't the weather during winter generally less accommodating
for astronomers than it is down south? I'm not talking about the cooler
temperatures, but the degree of cloud and rain that blows in from the
Atlantic.

I haven't studied the figures, but the impression I get (although I may be
wrong!) is that Scotland would have less clear skies than down here;
although when it does clear they're undoubtedly less laden with pollution --
both light and chemical!

--
Dan

Old October 16th 05, 05:19 PM
nytecam[_1_] nytecam[_1_] is offline
Senior Member

Location: london-uk

So it follows if we could get the general UK population to move to Scotland those left behind could get the lights switched off :-))).

Nytecam
51N 0.1W
******************

My numbers had better come up soon because I'd move there tomorrow if I
could.[/color]

Trouble is Jim, isn't the weather during winter generally less accommodating
for astronomers than it is down south? I'm not talking about the cooler
temperatures, but the degree of cloud and rain that blows in from the
Atlantic.

I haven't studied the figures, but the impression I get (although I may be
wrong!) is that Scotland would have less clear skies than down here;
although when it does clear they're undoubtedly less laden with pollution --
both light and chemical!

--
Dan[/quote]
Old October 17th 05, 06:47 AM
Torcuill Torrance

My numbers had better come up soon because I'd move there tomorrow if
could.

Trouble is Jim, isn't the weather during winter generally less
accommodating
for astronomers than it is down south? I'm not talking about the
cooler
temperatures, but the degree of cloud and rain that blows in from the
Atlantic.

I haven't studied the figures, but the impression I get (although I may
be
wrong!) is that Scotland would have less clear skies than down here;
although when it does clear they're undoubtedly less laden with
pollution --
both light and chemical!

--
Dan[/color]

Jim and Dan

The Aberdeen Astro Soc would welcome both or either of you to our Dark
Sky Site, where M31 is clearly visible to the naked eye and I've
counted 13 naked eye Pleides.
www.aberdeenastro.btinternet.co.uk

For an idea of what the sky is like, Phil Hart has some excellent
photos on www.philhart.com.

Aberdeen is in a rain and cloud shadow (slainte Cairngorms!) and gets
the same number of clear skies as London, according to the Met Offices'
figures.

Clear Dark and Steady Skies

Torcuill
57N 2W
Old October 17th 05, 11:21 PM
zAz \(Dan\)

"Torcuill Torrance" wrote:

Jim and Dan

The Aberdeen Astro Soc would welcome both or either of you to our Dark
Sky Site, where M31 is clearly visible to the naked eye and I've
counted 13 naked eye Pleides.
www.aberdeenastro.btinternet.co.uk

Cheers for the invitation! If I'm up that way I'll bear you chaps in
mind...! I'm right down on the south coast of England (not quite part of
Pete's "Selsey Set", but just down the road).

For an idea of what the sky is like, Phil Hart has some excellent
photos on www.philhart.com.

Some good pics there -- great aurora shots.

Aberdeen is in a rain and cloud shadow (slainte Cairngorms!) and gets
the same number of clear skies as London, according to the Met Offices'
figures.

Sounds good to me. Though your skies don't have the pretty glowing fumes

Clear skies,
Dan

Old October 18th 05, 07:14 AM
Jim

Torcuill Torrance wrote:

The Aberdeen Astro Soc would welcome both or either of you to our Dark
Sky Site, where M31 is clearly visible to the naked eye and I've
counted 13 naked eye Pleides.
www.aberdeenastro.btinternet.co.uk

Thanks for the invite. Sadly I live in Stafford, but in the event that I
can move up there I will certainly be interested.

Jim
--
Find me at http://www.ursaminorbeta.co.uk AIM/iChatAV: JCAndrew2
"The voices that control me from inside my head say I shouldn't kill

ISS visible over most of U.S. during holidays Jacques van Oene Space Station 0 December 21st 04 09:45 PM
Happy Holidays greywolf42 Astronomy Misc 4 December 14th 04 07:21 PM
Happy Holidays Bill Sheppard Misc 3 December 25th 03 07:10 AM
Astronomical holidays Vince Salfranc Misc 0 December 21st 03 04:41 PM
Holidays Vince Salfranc Misc 0 December 21st 03 04:27 PM