Meade 10x50 Binoculars

Old April 27th 05, 12:35 PM
Tim Duke

"mutt" wrote in message ...
I just bought a pair for £14.99 from Lidl. Just tried them out on the Moon
tonight and Jupiter and was very impressed. For £14.99 you can`t
complain.(or at least I can`t)

Mark

So, a couple of question to all those that have bought these bins....

What are they really like ?
And
How do they perform at night ?

Tim
Old April 27th 05, 12:53 PM
Holly in France

Sorry everyone, would have replied by email, but since I can't....

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 12:30:35 +0200, James Coates wrote:

Holly in France wrote:

There's a Lidl here which I'll keep an eye out in.

Thanks. Most shops send the leaflets of forthcoming offers with the post,
but Lidl don't, and I'm not in there often enough to find out what is
coming up. Some of these things sell out immediately, you need to know in
advance

I'm a bit of an Intermarché snob but I'll poke my head in ...

Nah, quick trip round Lidl for the cheap essentials, then all the goodies
from Super U.

Where in the Dordogne are you?

North, on border with Charente and not far from Haute Vienne, Nontron and
St Junien are nearest Lidls.

In which case you'll know the Nontron one is closed for a bit of
refurbishment.

Re-opening today I believe, just in time for the binoculars tomorrow!

Hello to you too, whereabouts are you? Are you another software/computer
person? :-)

I am yes.

As Das said, an interesting thread on people's occupations, can't believe
how many people here work in computing.

And Nontron is my nearest pub,

Irish pub/Irish barman? Keep meaning to visit it, since he has apparently
kindly given our name to a couple of people for building work, but we have
never met him!

primarily because that's where I live. :-)

Will you be in Lidl tomorrow buying binoculars? We could have a u.s.a meet,
bit of an unorthodox venue though :-)

If you want to reply, email is , we can't
continue this conversation here....

--
Holly, in France
Holiday home in Dordogne
Old April 27th 05, 01:28 PM
James Coates

Pete Lawrence wrote:

All the locations being mentioned here seem very familiar as my
parents have a property in the area too :-)

Holly was right -- we should have a meet!

It should be at night, obviously, because there's barely any light pollution
in the area (though if I could take out the searchlight on top of Nontron's
nightclub I would) and, er, something.

I WANT AN ASTROSCAN! :-)

James.

Old April 27th 05, 04:47 PM
Martin Frey

Holly in France wrote:

If you want to reply, email is SNIP we can't
continue this conversation here....

Oh go on - it's just getting to the interesting bit, says Brief
Encounters fan. (Call me old fashioned but somehow even a railway
station is more romantic than a Lidl.)

Cheers

Martin

--
Martin Frey
http://www.hadastro.org.uk
Old April 27th 05, 04:50 PM
Holly in France

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 14:28:13 +0200, James Coates wrote:

Pete Lawrence wrote:

All the locations being mentioned here seem very familiar as my
parents have a property in the area too :-)

There's alot of it about :-) I met a chap from uk.sci.weather the other
week, he also has a house here.

Holly was right -- we should have a meet!

We should indeed, preferably combined with a barbecue! Let us know if you
are visiting Pete, or anyone else. Anyone requiring extra accommodation can
have the gite at a discounted rate if they bring their telescope and give
me some astronomy lessons :-)

It should be at night, obviously, because there's barely any light pollution
in the area

Even less here I suspect, the only visible streetlight is about 2km away
and no glows from large towns.

(though if I could take out the searchlight on top of Nontron's
nightclub I would)

When they first set that up my husband was away, the kids were asleep and I
was out stargazing around 1am, a bit nervously cos we are very isolated
here. Suddenly I saw this searchlight sweeping across the sky. Had no idea
it could be coming from as far away as Nontron, 15km ish, thought it was
someone in our woods with a torch. Made a hasty retreat with the scope and
closed the shutters quick! Called my neighbour who lives in that direction
the following day. He had seen it too but being on higher ground he knew it
was from further away and it didn't take him long to find out where it was
coming from, so panic over.

I WANT AN ASTROSCAN! :-)

I might want one too if I knew what it was - I'm probably better off living
in ignorance :-)

Old April 27th 05, 04:51 PM
Pete Lawrence

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 16:50:26 +0100, Holly in France
wrote:

We should indeed, preferably combined with a barbecue! Let us know if you
are visiting Pete, or anyone else. Anyone requiring extra accommodation can
have the gite at a discounted rate if they bring their telescope and give
me some astronomy lessons :-)

I have just mentioned the disco search light to my dad and he's
pointed out that it's a few miles to the south of where they live.
Hmmm - you could be very close ;-) My mum has a telescope down there
too (a six inch refractor).
--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk
Old April 27th 05, 04:53 PM
Pete Lawrence

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 16:47:10 +0100, Martin Frey
wrote:

Holly in France wrote:

If you want to reply, email is SNIP we can't
continue this conversation here....

Oh go on - it's just getting to the interesting bit, says Brief
Encounters fan. (Call me old fashioned but somehow even a railway
station is more romantic than a Lidl.)

As in Thomas the Tank Engine was a Lidl train?

--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk
Old April 27th 05, 08:45 PM
James Coates

Holly in France wrote:

All the locations being mentioned here seem very familiar as my
parents have a property in the area too :-)

There's alot of it about :-) I met a chap from uk.sci.weather the other
week, he also has a house here.

If it's who I think it is, it's in the Haute Vienne and not the Dog. I
think.

It should be at night, obviously, because there's barely any light
pollution in the area

Even less here I suspect, the only visible streetlight is about 2km away
and no glows from large towns.

Nontron doesn't really glow and it is possible to get away from it from
where I am. Out past Marval towards Chalus is rather good too though from
high-enough up Limoges can be annoying.

(though if I could take out the searchlight on top of Nontron's
nightclub I would)

When they first set that up my husband was away, the kids were asleep and
I was out stargazing around 1am

I was driving home on a foggy night and thought 'they' had finally come.
ISTR it was a green gel that night.

I WANT AN ASTROSCAN! :-)

I might want one too if I knew what it was - I'm probably better off
living in ignorance :-)

http://www.dansdata.com/astroscan.htm

James.
Old April 27th 05, 08:47 PM
James Coates

Pete Lawrence wrote:

I have just mentioned the disco search light to my dad and he's
pointed out that it's a few miles to the south of where they live.
Hmmm - you could be very close ;-) My mum has a telescope down there
too (a six inch refractor).

If he's a mile or two north of Nontron that doesn't leave many choices!

Also, Lidl doesn't have binoculars cos I went in today to look.

James.
xx

Old April 27th 05, 09:52 PM
James Coates

James Coates wrote:

Also, Lidl doesn't have binoculars cos I went in today to look.

Ah right. I see now. ;-)

James.
xx