Whoever beleives Columbia could have been saved, needs to stop watching movies.

Old August 27th 03, 07:57 AM
Oval

Default Whoever beleives Columbia could have been saved, needs to stop watching movies.

You can tell the brits think their **** don't stink. I wanna know, who
the hell are the "experts" that said Colubia could have been saved.

I almost chuckled at this article, because I think the experts are as
clueless to trajectories and orbital windows as much as I am.

1. The "window" for another shuttle to meet with Columbia in space
would have either run out or been non-existent.

2. There is NO way an orbiter could have been made launch
ready...mechanically..in the alloted time.

3. A crew of even 4 could not have been properly trained for a rescue
mission in the alloted time. Oh I forgot, we live in the movie world
and we can plan a mission in less than 10 mins. Get a clue people, I
think missions are trained at least a year in advance in some cases,
normally. An emergency training for a mission like this would have
taken at least 2 weeks...once again moron's...no time.

4. How hard a trick do you think it would have been to get an orbiter
to find another orbiter in an area, 30 million sq miles and going at
4000 mph? (Guessing at space and speed)

5. ISS....come on...Totally different orbit's...Totally different
speeds....Totally different directions...Totally dumb suggestion.
Lets say I take a car to New York at 100mph with a half a tank of gas
and your on your way to Alaska at 10 mph on no gas....and we will meet
in Bora Bora a day later. Does this add perspective to it? Not to
mention there are no roads to Bora Bora...but I didnt want to confuse
you with the other fact that the car from Alaska is 500 mile elevation
while the car to new york is at sea level.

6. Columbia would have run out of CO2 filters, then water, then
food...before anything could have been planned.

7. Parachutes dont work in space.

8. Columbia crew members were scientists, not mechanics. I dont think
they could have fixed anything, even if they had it?
Next someone will add, that there were engineers on board...gimme a
break...I have NEVER in my life seen an engineer fix something...they
just point out the problem..write to tell someone the problem exists
and draw it on a piece of paper.
THEN, a tech or mechanic actually FIXES the problem and blames the
engineer that if they did it according to the drawing..it would have
been FUBAR or a SNAFU

In my honest opinion, I beleive there was NO WAY to save Columbia. Its
just a cold hard FACT. When you dont have a plan for the worst, the
worst usually shows you how bad it can get.
I hope NASA turns the screws on the government, if they want all these
changes then pay up. If not, then STFU, fix what's broken and get back
on track, your costing us money sitting around looking at burnt parts.
To many people are TALKING and nobody is DOING.

Oval
Old August 27th 03, 10:25 AM
Bogie, The Black and White Spam-Fighting \(ex\) Ca

"Oval" wrote in message

You can tell the brits think their **** don't stink. I wanna know, who
the hell are the "experts" that said Colubia could have been saved.

That'll be NASA and the CAIB, then,

"Had the damage to the Columbia space shuttle been spotted before re-entry
into the Earth's atmosphere, a rescue attempt to save the crew could have
been made, *according to the final report on the orbiter's fatal break-up.*"

Old August 27th 03, 12:13 PM
Steen Eiler Jørgensen

Oval wrote:

who the hell are the "experts" that said Colubia could have been
saved.

The CAIB. Obviously, you haven't read the report. How about reading the
report, before yelling "stupid"?

--
Steen Eiler Jørgensen

Old August 27th 03, 12:24 PM
Hallerb

The CAIB. Obviously, you haven't read the report. How about reading the
report, before yelling "stupid"?

Yeah that discredits lots of posters here who said it was impossible.

Of course they would of called apollo 13 impossible too.
Old August 27th 03, 02:12 PM
Doug Ellison

"Oval" wrote in message

You can tell the brits think their **** don't stink.

Yes - thats right - brand an entire nation based on the words of a single
hack.

A hack - incidentally - who's actually stating what the CAIB has stated.

Doug

Old August 27th 03, 02:15 PM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Oval" wrote in message

4. How hard a trick do you think it would have been to get an orbiter
to find another orbiter in an area, 30 million sq miles and going at
4000 mph? (Guessing at space and speed)

Umm, Columbia wasn't lost. We knew exactly where it was. We're pretty good
at orbital rendezvous. Heck, we manage to do it on every ISS mission, ever
post-deployment Hubble mission plus a few others.

Old August 27th 03, 04:04 PM
JGM

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Steen_Eiler_J=F8rgensen?= wrote:

How about reading the
report, before yelling "stupid"?

Your punctuation is wrong.

JGM
Old August 27th 03, 06:10 PM
Chuck Stewart

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 21:28:06 +0000, Oval wrote:

Just odd, I couldn't find another article expressing that part of the
CAIB find at any other new source.

A non-sequitur, it seems...

Are you speaking of "where" in the CAIB report?

Page 174 (of the full version)
6.4 "Possibility Of Rescue Or Repair"

--
Chuck Stewart
"Anime-style catgirls: Threat? Menace? Or just studying algebra?"

Old August 27th 03, 10:28 PM
Oval

Just odd, I couldn't find another article expressing that part of the
CAIB find at any other new source.