Royal Institute Christmas Lectures.

Old December 28th 03, 01:28 PM
Brendan DJ Murphy

Default Royal Institute Christmas Lectures.

Just a reminder to everyone that Dr Monica Grady will be hosting this years Christmas Lectures.

The first of her live lectures is on Sunday 28 December at 1:55 on Channel 4

The theme of this years lectures is "A Voyage through Space and Time".

Brendan

Old December 28th 03, 02:11 PM
Anthony Frost

In message
"Brendan DJ Murphy" wrote:

Just a reminder to everyone that Dr Monica Grady will be hosting this
years Christmas Lectures.

The first of her live lectures is on Sunday 28 December at 1:55 on Channel 4

The theme of this years lectures is "A Voyage through Space and Time".

"B*gger" he says loudly as he dives across the room for the TV control
at 14:05.

Thanks for the reminder!

Anthony

--
| Weather prediction will never be accurate until we |
| kill all the butterflies |
Old December 28th 03, 03:11 PM
Brendan DJ Murphy

OK. Rule#1 is never reply to your own post....

but tomorrows lecture there will be a panel of guests talking and answering questions about Mars,
life on Mars and Mars exploration.
It will be broadcast live.
Perhaps we will hear what they think really happened to Beagle.

12:05 pm Monday 29 December on Channel4

Brendan

Old December 28th 03, 04:09 PM
Ron Atkin

Sod it, I forgot all about it.
--
Ron Atkin.
Peterborough.

Old December 28th 03, 08:07 PM
mike ring

"Ron Atkin" wrote in news:dfDHb.212$1O1.307406
@newsfep1-win.server.ntli.net:

Sod it, I forgot all about it.
--

Don't think you've missed much, that was the first time I've actually
switched one of those off, though recent years have tried my patience a

I'll try again tomorrow, in view of Brendan's reply to tho OP,

mike r
Old December 28th 03, 10:08 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Brendan DJ Murphy
writes
Just a reminder to everyone that Dr Monica Grady will be hosting this
years Christmas Lectures.

The first of her live lectures is on Sunday 28 December at 1:55 on Channel 4

The theme of this years lectures is "A Voyage through Space and Time".

Thanks for the warning, but I hope the kids got another warning. Dr.
Grady was repeatedly flat out wrong. I recorded it and I've just stopped
the tape to express some thoughts.
She got off to a shaky start when she said the edge of space was 137
billion billion miles away, unless she was talking about old-style
British billions. Later on she made it clear a billion was a thousand
million.
She's wrong when she says there are only two types of galaxies - hasn't
she heard of irregulars, like the two closest to our Milky Way? (M31
isn't closest)
Wrong when she says not much is going on in ellipticals, or is M87
atypical with its supernova, central black hole and jet?
Disastrously wrong when she talks about tiny black holes, and I suspect
she's on shaky ground about the big ones.
The demonstrations were up to standard, but the TV presentation was far
too like a BBC documentary, with flashy graphics and explosions. And
that ring around a supernova is a CGI cliché.
Aaagh!
--
Rabbit arithmetic - 1 plus 1 equals 10
Old December 28th 03, 11:12 PM
Roger Smith

In message , Anthony Frost
wrote
In message
"Brendan DJ Murphy" wrote:

Just a reminder to everyone that Dr Monica Grady will be hosting this
years Christmas Lectures.

The first of her live lectures is on Sunday 28 December at 1:55 on Channel 4

The theme of this years lectures is "A Voyage through Space and Time".

"B*gger" he says loudly as he dives across the room for the TV control
at 14:05.

Thanks for the reminder!

Anthony

The remaining lectures run from 12:05 to 13:00 Monday through Thursday.
--
Roger
52:54:41N
Old December 29th 03, 12:43 AM
Martin Frey

Jonathan Silverlight
wrote:

[...]

Bloody sad - what a wasted opportunity: But weren't the kids lovely.
They behaved so well and were so polite to boring, hysterically
presented, garbage.

--
Martin Frey
http://www.hadastro.org.uk
Old December 29th 03, 07:40 AM
Brendan DJ Murphy

Bloody sad - what a wasted opportunity: But weren't the kids lovely.
They behaved so well and were so polite to boring, hysterically
presented, garbage.

I must admit, I was also disappointed. I hope the lectures improve during the week.
I am looking forward to today's one about Mars.

Brendan

Old December 29th 03, 10:30 AM
Robert Geake

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 13:28:32 -0000, "Brendan DJ Murphy"
wrote:

Just a reminder to everyone that Dr Monica Grady will be hosting this years Christmas Lectures.

The first of her live lectures is on Sunday 28 December at 1:55 on Channel 4

The theme of this years lectures is "A Voyage through Space and Time".

Brendan

I have watched these lectures each year since childhood (dad even took
me to see them some times). This year im afraid i only have a few
comments!

What happened to audience participation?
What happened to practical demonstrations ?

What a pile of ****e they are this year!

Rob