Northern California Fires causing strange Atmospherics

Old June 26th 08, 07:58 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
TBerk

Default Northern California Fires causing strange Atmospherics

Becasue of inversion layers and bracketing to both the North & South
the greater Bay Area is socked in, not with Fog like usual but with
Smoke particles.

Its making the morning Sun rise in the East w/ a red that looks like a
romantic western sunset. (Kind spooky really.)

I had been hoping to do some half moon viewing and perhaps see what
the Digicam would do at night but now I don't know...

TBerk
Old June 26th 08, 03:43 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

On Jun 25, 11:58 pm, TBerk wrote:
Becasue of inversion layers and bracketing to both the North & South
the greater Bay Area is socked in, not with Fog like usual but with
Smoke particles.

Its making the morning Sun rise in the East w/ a red that looks like a
romantic western sunset. (Kind spooky really.)

I witnessed it last night and it is magnificent,an almost pink look to
the dusk Sun.

Old June 26th 08, 05:04 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
lal_truckee

TBerk wrote:
Becasue of inversion layers and bracketing to both the North & South
the greater Bay Area is socked in, not with Fog like usual but with
Smoke particles.

All the way east to at least Reno. Last night from Donner Summit
(7200ft) saw Arcturus early on, and many of the brighter stars; night
before had no stars - the smoke is clearing a bit.
Old June 26th 08, 05:40 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Craig[_4_]

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 23:58:56 -0700 (PDT), TBerk wrote:

Becasue of inversion layers and bracketing to both the North & South
the greater Bay Area is socked in, not with Fog like usual but with
Smoke particles.

Its making the morning Sun rise in the East w/ a red that looks like a
romantic western sunset. (Kind spooky really.)

I had been hoping to do some half moon viewing and perhaps see what
the Digicam would do at night but now I don't know...

TBerk

It seems to be making it's way to So. Cal as well. Last night the sun, a
half hour before sunset, looked like it should be much lower in the sky
(almost touching the horizon) it was that red. Just wish I had a camera
with me.

My trip to Shingletown Star Party is off, now I just have to hope that it
does not affect the Golden State Star party the same week and about 90
miles NE away from SSP.
Old June 26th 08, 07:25 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing

Craig wrote;

My trip to Shingletown Star Party is off, now I just have to hope that
it does not affect the Golden State Star party the same week and about
90 miles NE away from SSP.

***********

So, are you going to the Golden State Star party instead? Word from
the rancher on the site is that the smoke is only present part of the
time, and otherwise it has been clear.

Note that GSSP will accept late registrations right at the gate and
that no one will be turned away...

I'll be there.

\Paul
Old June 26th 08, 07:50 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Craig[_4_]

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 11:25:54 -0700 (PDT), palsing wrote:

Craig wrote;

My trip to Shingletown Star Party is off, now I just have to hope that
it does not affect the Golden State Star party the same week and about
90 miles NE away from SSP.

***********

So, are you going to the Golden State Star party instead? Word from
the rancher on the site is that the smoke is only present part of the
time, and otherwise it has been clear.

Note that GSSP will accept late registrations right at the gate and
that no one will be turned away...

I'll be there.

\Paul

Paul,

That is the plan right now. I'm keeping an eye on things. I need to find
out about the BBQ as well.