Orion Skyquest XT10 Classic vs. XT10 Intelliscope

Old June 23rd 08, 03:03 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jim Rainfordson

Default Orion Skyquest XT10 Classic vs. XT10 Intelliscope

Hi, I know that the Orion XT10s were redesigned into the
"intelliscope" model. The Intelliscope comes with or without the
computerized object finder. I'm interested in model without the
object finder, but I know someone who is selling a used classic
model. Can anyone tell me what the practical differences are between
the classic and the intelliscope. I don't care about cosmetics. I do
care about mechanics, finder scope and eyepieces.

Anyway, I'm hoping someone has some experience with these models?
Thanks for the help.

Of course if you can point me to some reviews contrasting these two
models that would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Jim
Old June 24th 08, 12:56 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names[_1_]

On Jun 23, 10:03*am, Jim Rainfordson wrote:
Hi, I know that the Orion XT10s were redesigned into the
"intelliscope" model. *The Intelliscope comes with or without the
computerized object finder. *I'm interested in model without the
object finder, but I know someone who is selling a used classic
model. *Can anyone tell me what the practical differences are between
the classic and the intelliscope. *I don't care about cosmetics. *I do
care about mechanics, finder scope and eyepieces.

Anyway, I'm hoping someone has some experience with these models?
Thanks for the help.

Of course if you can point me to some reviews contrasting these two
models that would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Jim

The scopes are the same. Only difference is that, in the base of the
Intelliscope model, are encoders that follow the up-down, right-left
movement and tell the handheld computer where the scope is pointed.

I have an XT-12 Intelliscope with the handheld computer . I use the
computer only about 1/4 of the time, but, when I need it, I need it.
The Intelliscope version is a few bucks more, add the handheld
computer later -- I'd recommend getting the Intelliscope version just
in case.

On the other hand, if the used one is in good shape and the price is
attractive, go for it. You likely could always sell it for close to
what you paid for it if you wanted to upgrade to the Intelliscope --
no, you cannot add the encoders to the Classic version, must buy the
Intelliscope to start with.

I had a classic version XT-8 that I lost in Hurricane Katrina and I
loved it -- readily portable, big enough to capture deep sky objects
(under good seeing conditions). I REALLY like my XT-12 -- but -- the
damn thing is BIG!!!!! XT-10 is bigger than the XT-8 but it's not the
monster that the XT-12 is.

Old June 24th 08, 01:03 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names[_1_]

On Jun 23, 10:03*am, Jim Rainfordson wrote:
Hi, I know that the Orion XT10s were redesigned into the
"intelliscope" model. *The Intelliscope comes with or without the
computerized object finder. *I'm interested in model without the
object finder, but I know someone who is selling a used classic
model. *Can anyone tell me what the practical differences are between
the classic and the intelliscope. *I don't care about cosmetics. *I do
care about mechanics, finder scope and eyepieces.

Anyway, I'm hoping someone has some experience with these models?
Thanks for the help.

Of course if you can point me to some reviews contrasting these two
models that would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Jim

Here are some reviews:

http://cs.astronomy.com/asycs/forums...18/278981.aspx

http://www.novac.com/resources/reviews/xt10.php

http://www.astromart.com/articles/ar...article_id=151

http://www.scopereviews.com/page1v.html

Old June 24th 08, 05:03 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jim Rainfordson

Thanks for the feedback,

The guy bought it in 2002 and it has a different eyepiece package than
is currently offered with the "classic". I'm too amature to know
which is better.

From the few reviews I've seen it looks like the mechanics are
different but not necessarily better.

How often do the mirrors need to be re-aluminzied? I'm not sure what
causes the aluminzation to wear. Is it exposure of some kind or does
it just wear off over time no matter what you do?

The "new" classic XT10 (released in '03) has an adapter that allows
for 2" OR 1.25" eyepieces. I haven't been able to determine if the
original "classic" allowed for 1.25" eyepieces or if it's limited to
2".

Good point about the size and weight. This 10" is about as big as I
can go.

Thanks

Old June 24th 08, 05:10 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jim Rainfordson

Thanks. Those were helpful!
Old June 25th 08, 01:47 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names[_1_]

On Jun 24, 12:03*pm, Jim Rainfordson wrote:
Thanks for the feedback,

The guy bought it in 2002 and it has a different eyepiece package than
is currently offered with the "classic". *I'm too amature to know
which is better.

From the few reviews I've seen it looks like the mechanics are
different but not necessarily better.

How often do the mirrors need to be re-aluminzied? *I'm not sure what
causes the aluminzation to wear. *Is it exposure of some kind or does
it just wear off over time no matter what you do?

The "new" classic XT10 (released in '03) has an adapter that allows
for 2" OR 1.25" eyepieces. *I haven't been able to determine if the
original "classic" allowed for 1.25" eyepieces or if it's limited to
2".

Good point about the size and weight. *This 10" is about as big as I
can go.

Thanks

The eyepiece holder on the older scope DOES allow both 2" and 1.25"
eyepieces. The holder is made for 2" eyepieces and it comes with a
sleeve that holds 1.25" eyepieces -- this arrangement is standard on
all Orion Dobs -- and every other Dob I have seen.

Unless the mirror has been subjected to abuse of some kind you should
not need to have the mirror recoated for years, maybe never. If the
previous owner tried to clean the mirror he may have damaged it
because the coating is on the visible surface of the mirror and you
should keep your hands off it.

Old June 25th 08, 02:39 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jim Rainfordson

Thanks Kickass. That's just the info I was lookin for.

Say, while I got ya....there was an old article in Sky & Telescope
(1998) for making the Orion XT Dobs move a little smoother at the base
using magic sliders. "Teaching an old Dob New Tricks" was the title
and I've seen many references to it, but my library doesn't carry old
issues and I was hoping someone posted it online somewhere. Have you
seen such a link?

Either way, thanks for all the help and info!

Old June 25th 08, 10:46 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names[_1_]

On Jun 24, 9:39*pm, Jim Rainfordson wrote:
Thanks Kickass. *That's just the info I was lookin for.

Say, while I got ya....there was an old article in Sky & Telescope
(1998) for making the Orion XT Dobs move a little smoother at the base
using magic sliders. *"Teaching an old Dob New Tricks" was the title
and I've seen many references to it, but my library doesn't carry old
issues and I was hoping someone posted it online somewhere. * Have you
seen such a link?

Either way, thanks for all the help and info!

Yes -- I don't recall the details but the "magic slider" had something
to do with cutting out pieces of plastic milk jugs and putting them on
the parts of the Dob base that slid over each other. That plastic
apparently is very slippery and it helps the Dob move more smoothly.

You might find something he
http://www.telescopejunkies.com/foru...iew.asp?fid=16

Or he
http://www.telescopereviews.com/ubbt...Number/2302382
Old June 26th 08, 06:59 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jim Rainfordson

Thanks again Kickass. I still haven't found that exact article, but I
got enough bits and pieces and other ideas about it that I should be
okay. For the record, rather than being a surface on which to glide,
I think the milk carton washers were more to jack up the telescope and
take a little weight off the teflon. You got the right idea though.

Anyway, thanks for all the help and info. I just bought it for $360.
It doesn't come with the lasermate collimator, but it does have a
luner filter and 2x3-element barlow plus eyepiece neither of which are
included in the newer version of the "classic". I didn't shop around
too much, but I figure a new XT10 classic purchased online and shipped
to me would be about $570.

Thanks again,
Jim
Old June 27th 08, 11:48 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Dennis Woos

It doesn't come with the lasermate collimator, but it does have a
luner filter and 2x3-element barlow plus eyepiece neither of which are
included in the newer version of the "classic".

You can collimate without a laser, but I find that collimating with (a good)
one is the way to go. Get one from Howie Glatter. Whatever method you
choose, be sure to check the collimation frequently. It should take just a
couple of minutes to do, and is crucial to getting good views.

Dennis