NASA HONORS MEMORY OF MISSION CONTROL VETERAN DON PUDDY

Old November 24th 04, 02:22 PM
Jacques van Oene

Default NASA HONORS MEMORY OF MISSION CONTROL VETERAN DON PUDDY

Press Release #J04-054

November 23, 2004

Eileen M. Hawley/James Hartsfield
Johnson Space Center, Houston
281-483-5111

Report #J04-054

NASA HONORS MEMORY OF MISSION CONTROL VETERAN DON PUDDY

Donald R. Puddy, 67, whose 31-year career with NASA spanned the Apollo,
Skylab and Space Shuttle programs, died Nov. 22 in Houston following a
lengthy illness.

Puddy joined NASA's Johnson Space Center in 1964 and spent 22 years as a key
leader of human space flights in the Mission Control Center.

As a flight director, he led flight control teams during the Apollo Program,
the three long-duration Skylab missions and the Apollo-Soyuz Test project.
He also served as the flight director for the first Space Shuttle landing on
April 14, 1981. Puddy was only the 10th person to become a NASA flight
director.

"Don's leadership as a flight director was critical during our transition
from Apollo through the early Space Shuttle flights," said Milt Heflin,
Chief of the JSC Flight Director Office. "His diverse talents allowed him
to serve NASA and the country in many capacities."

Following his work in Mission Control, Puddy held other leadership roles at
JSC, NASA's Ames Research Center, California, and NASA Headquarters,
Washington, DC. He was responsible for creating and managing many project
and aircraft safety procedures, and he was instrumental in early joint
collaboration between the U.S. and Russian space programs.

Puddy's contributions to the space program were recognized by numerous
awards, including the Presidential Medal of Freedom and the NASA Outstanding
Leadership Medal.

A native of Oklahoma, Puddy was inducted into the Oklahoma Aviation and
Space Hall of Fame in 2002.

"I had the honor of presenting Don at his induction into the Hall of Fame,"
said Heflin. "We are from the same part of Oklahoma, and I felt especially
privileged to pay tribute to him that day. He was my friend and my mentor,
providing me guidance and encouragement to meet the challenges of working in
Mission Control."

Flags over the Mission Control Center were flown at half staff today to
honor Puddy's memory.

Puddy is survived by his high school sweetheart and wife of 48 years, Dana.
He also is survived by their three sons, Mike, Doug and Glenn, and six
grandchildren. Memorial services are pending.

###

--

Jacques :-)

www.spacepatches.info