R&D and the Private Sector

Old July 15th 03, 10:05 AM
Earl Colby Pottinger

Default R&D and the Private Sector

Michael Walsh :

Allen Meece wrote:

The home computer industry was started in a garage in Palo Alto. No
government money. Not one centavo.

Yes, and it looks like Scaled Composites is doing a similar thing by

making a
sub orbital transport without guvmnt assistance. It won't be too hard to

scale
it up to orbital transportation.
The private sector can take us to space. All they have to remember is

to not
try to make ships when boats will do.
^
//^\\
~~~ near space elevator ~~~~
~~~members.aol.com/beanstalkr/~~~

Would you like to take a shot at describing how you believe that Scaled
Composites

could scale up its X-Prize contender to orbital transportation and why you
beleive

it would not be "too hard".

If you define "too hard" as meaning it is possible then I can agree, but it
would
not be easy and the term "scale up" is a bit misleading for something that
would
require a complete redesign to carry throught to completion.

I note that I use the term "possible" to cover situations where the
probablility
of success is very low.

Mike Walsh

One main thing. Don't expect the uses of scaled up sub-orbitals to be the
same as what we use most present rockets for. The mistake of the older
mainframe and mini companies that no longer exist who laughted at micros was
that they compared what thier machines could do and the limits on the first
micros and saw them as not very useful. But the micros first created new
markets and in time some of those markets diplaced or replace some of the old
markets of minis and mainframes.

Don't make the mistake that this is only computers, the same happened with
the first steam ships, the first cars and to shock of railways airplane were
able to take away most of thier passenger customers.

Earl Colby Pottinger

--
I make public email sent to me! Hydrogen Peroxide Rockets, OpenBeos,
SerialTransfer 3.0, RAMDISK, BoatBuilding, DIY TabletPC. What happened to