Night Pics

Old November 13th 03, 05:30 PM
Robert Geake

Default Night Pics

http://robert.thegeakes.co.uk/astro/...2/buildpage.pl

Rob
Old November 13th 03, 05:53 PM
Dave

"Robert Geake" wrote in message
http://robert.thegeakes.co.uk/astro/...2/buildpage.pl

Rob

I particularly like the ones you took as you were falling over

DaveL

Old November 13th 03, 06:28 PM
Lucy

I liked those pics, especially as they're of the area of sky I've been
concentrating on recently in a vain attempt to locate the Andromeda galaxy!
It's good to see a still photo of the night sky, I can look at if for longer
without some serious neck strain!
I wonder if it's at all possible if you could - through the power of
photoshop or some such program if you have them - to put in an arrow or a
marker to show where I need to be looking. I recognise Pleiades and Taurus
and Aries but can't seem to put together the Andromeda/Pegasus arrangement.
Perhaps there's just too much light pollution around here and my neighbour's
got one of those really annoying lights that come on whenever their cats so
much as twitch a whisker which doesn't make for good viewing!
Thanks
Lucy

Old November 13th 03, 08:38 PM
Stuart Turrell

i am in a similar situation, trying to find andromeda, if someone was to
help me withthe aid of the photo, that would be fantastic!

stuart

Old November 14th 03, 07:24 AM
Paul B

Hi,

Have a look in Astronomy Now (November) on page 41. There is a nice picture
showing the "top left" star in the square of Pegasus, and the "horn" of
Andromeda off to the left, which allows the Andromeda galaxy to be easily
found by using the second pair of stars in the horn to point up to its
position.

All you need then are reasonably dark skies (Mag 5ish) to see it with the
unaided eye. Once you know where to look it is easy, and great through 10 x
50 binos, or a small rich field 80mm refractor.

Best wishes and clear, dark skies.

--

/Paul B, York, UK.
http://homepages.tesco.net/paul.buglass/astrohome.htm

Old November 14th 03, 11:46 AM
Alan

Cool pics.

I spotted the Pleiades, and it reminded me of this pic I took with my HP
Photosmart 850 (digital). Exposure was 4 seconds I think. No additional
equipment except a tripod.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robinso...aphy/Page5.htm

I was pleased with this as it was a quick snap taken at a fireworks party.
I'm also amazed how far this pic goes in magnitude.

Old November 14th 03, 11:56 AM
Pete Lawrence

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 17:30:47 +0000 (UTC), Robert Geake
wrote:

http://robert.thegeakes.co.uk/astro/...2/buildpage.pl

Nice photos.

Were you doing a Matrix like spin while taking them ;-) ?

Rob, have you tried taking a number of the same part of the sky and
combining them?
--
Pete
Homepage at http://www.pbl33.co.uk
Old November 14th 03, 05:59 PM
Robert Geake

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 18:28:48 -0000, "Lucy"
knew not what to say untill:

[...]

.. .
http://robert.thegeakes.co.uk/astro/...2/buildpage.pl

Rob

Sorry, None of them actuall feature more than a couple od stars from
the consttelation andromed!

Old November 14th 03, 06:03 PM
Robert Geake

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 11:56:46 +0000, Pete Lawrence
knew not what to say untill:

wrote:

http://robert.thegeakes.co.uk/astro/...2/buildpage.pl

Nice photos.

Were you doing a Matrix like spin while taking them ;-) ?

Agent Smith is the name...!
No the camera was mounted to the scope without a wobbly ball thingy
hence the peculiar angles.

Rob, have you tried taking a number of the same part of the sky and
combining them?

I was going to have a go at doing the whole horizon around next decent
night.!

Rob