space colonies

Old March 1st 06, 12:40 AM posted to sci.space.policy

Default space colonies

Currently as a bit of a space fantic I have spent a great deal of time
reseaching space colony technoloies and ideas. As well the technologies to
get us there. I have some great ideas based on that reseach. If anyone is
interested please let me know.

Old March 1st 06, 01:01 AM posted to sci.space.policy

wrote:
Currently as a bit of a space fantic I have spent a great deal of time
reseaching space colony technoloies and ideas. As well the technologies to
get us there. I have some great ideas based on that reseach. If anyone is
interested please let me know.

Hi,

Dude, everybody _loves_ space colonies.

You give a human being a piece of paper and an hour, and they will
_design_ you a space colony.

It might be low detail however, humans have notorious lapses. That's
not to say you can't have the average person describe to you the
structure of a space colony.

Show, design space colonies. My design project is a constant power
regulator. Here I will append my design notes:

Use factory automation assembly robots for all the thing.

Make Grow-Tron light assemblies and power supplies!

power supply, design on paper with hardware

So I have filled three pages with design schematics.

For the regulator, I am planning some "protective circuitry" that I
have indicated by a box on the paper and a label with an arrow pointing
to the box that says "protective circuitry."

It's a current regulating lab bench power supply. The idea is to be
modular with the pieces of a kit that have for examples blocks with
meters and dials and calibrators to make it into a current regulated
power supply, similarly to a signal generator but only designed to
handle power so not ten thousand dollars.

The idea is to sell kits that make PC surge protectors that fit right
into the PC power supply or replace the PC power supply, with a
high-efficiency electronic ballast current regulated surge protected
computer PC power supply.

So, they fit right in and plug into the wires on the bus using the PC
power connector wires.

There are thus these modules in a impact plastic 4 inches by three
inches and then stackable. The power bus goes through the middle. So
you could just stack up boxes of shielded autotransformers, as the
boxes are layered impact plastic so you could print antenna on the
inserts and so on.

It uses fundamentally a half-wave rectifier, but that could be simply
replaceable via the few simple power components on each module PCB.

The electronic current regulation is very simple, and implemented in
power electronics just for total overengineering. So it's not very
electronic, there's not very much digital control logic. There could
just be a simple 3V grounded wire, for a digital control logic bus.

The current is recrectified into a diode split bridge. That helps
drive the oscillator as it has a frequency. That is for the DC line
and then the HF and LF AC are also on the power bus to actually work as
gateway signals for the analog power bus.

Then the current can be split for the power regulation. Low current,
household lighting type current for the room with the LEDs and so on.

IF they're not stackable, to fit them into ceilings better, then the
power bus doesn't go through the middle. They're lab benchtop power
supplies.

A module has probes, and can have a probe multiplexor set for a switch,
so the user can plug in their own voltmeter, and have embedded probes
in the power supply, on the other side of the protective circuitry.

So then you could just dial a knob and not have to reset the voltmeter
probes.

There's a module with regular 110V grounded plugs in them. That can
sit above a wall power meter to watch how much power goes over the
wires. 4 x 3 x 6, surge protected wall metered power supply.

A nice ground is something to get figured out. You want anything that
is to leave the circuit to immediately go all the way to ground.

For a timer or multiplexer block, they interleave with the other blocks
to add the gates on the power bus, otherwise there are no gates on the
power bus.

sincere filter network

cap bank for halfwave

primed caps off signal logic

wall jack

electrical, disconnect the circuit, remove the J box cover, remove the
existing wall jack being careful with the wires, disconnect the wires
and correctly connect them to the replacement wall jack. it has a
switch more to make sure it's hooked up correctly, or just plug in a
tester, and then install the replacement wall jack. Cool wire to the
meter. Extra lead in the jack. Replace the J box cover. Reset power
to the circuit, and then test the replacement wall jack with the
tester.

GFCI, ...

That's not a space station. The space station _is_ the ground.

Ross

Old March 1st 06, 07:42 PM posted to sci.space.policy

wrote in message
Currently as a bit of a space fantic I have spent a great deal of time
reseaching space colony technoloies and ideas. As well the technologies to
get us there. I have some great ideas based on that reseach. If anyone is
interested please let me know.

Have you been by http://members.aol.com/oscarcombs/settle.htm ?

I wouldn't mind hearing your ideas, but I have to warn you that by and large
I place a great deal of faith in the original NASA Summer Studies and quite
a bit less in unknown folk on Usenet who have much better ideas on how to do
thing than those silly Summer Study people did. To be convinced that a new
idea was necessarily a better idea, I'd first have to be convinced it came
out of an entire room-full of credentialed space scientists and space
engineers who had some NASA money to spend doing nothing but researching
space colonies. (And even then only after the resulting report had gone out
for peer-review.)

--

Regards,
Mike Combs

Old March 1st 06, 08:09 PM posted to sci.space.policy

Sorry if the previous sounded hostile. It's just that Usenet is replete
with people with The New And Better Idea, but I haven't been terribly
impressed with much of what I've seen. I'm not convinced that individuals
working in isolation yield as good a results as communities of researchers
interacting via peer review.

Old March 1st 06, 11:53 PM posted to sci.space.policy

Mike Combs wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Hey, thanks, Mike. I'll bookmark that.

Do you think your opinion about the coilgun has changed over time, or
stayed the same? Would you agree that the 10km track, 100 metric ton
inert projectiles, 30G constant acceleration over t and a 60G point
impulse shock wave with the hypersonic aerobraking shockwave at V_e to
the planet is a good idea? Why or why not?

If somebody just invents (discovers) antigravity like that Russian guy
always "claims", would that change your opinion?

What are the microlensing anomalies between the Earth and the Sun?
They're probably hyperlight residues.

Ross

--
"Plays Standard Computer Games!"