Looking for Apollo LRV film clip

Old April 3rd 05, 06:53 PM
Josh Hopkins

Default Looking for Apollo LRV film clip

I think I recall years ago seeing a film/video segment from one of the later
Apollo missions taken by a camera mounted on the rover while it was in
motion. The effect was essentially to give you an idea of what it looked and
felt like to drive the rover, i.e. looking forward with the scenery bouncing
around in front of you.

In retrospect, I don't think (but I'm not sure) that the high gain antenna
on the rover could track Earth while the rover was in motion. If so, I
probably didn't see footage from the rover-mounted TV camera. Come to think
of it, my memory doesn't include the prismatic effect that the camera would
have imposed on moving scenery either.

So, does the shot I'm thinking of actually exist? If so, was it shot using
the rover camera, or one of the separate film cameras? Bonus kudos to
whoever can identify which mission and which track from the Spacecraft Films
DVD it's on. Or is my faulty memory making it all up?

Josh Hopkins

Old April 3rd 05, 07:16 PM
Vincent D. DeSimone

So, does the shot I'm thinking of actually exist? If so, was it shot using
the rover camera, or one of the separate film cameras? Bonus kudos to
whoever can identify which mission and which track from the Spacecraft

Films
DVD it's on. Or is my faulty memory making it all up?

It does exist, and in several forms. I can't remember exactly, but the
footage in question was shot using a 16mm motion camera held by the LMP.
The footage that I think you're thinking about was probably shot on Apollo
16, since I can't remember seeing it on the Spacecraft Film's full versions
of Apollo's 15 and 17, which I own.

On the other hand, there is another similar shot of at least 5 minutes of
16mm motion footage that was taken while the rover was traveling. It was
shot at what I think was about a 45 degree left angle from straight ahead
and it is found on the Apollo 17 6-DVD collection from Spacecraft Films.
Also, there is a short video sequence from the same flight where Cernan
decided to move the rover a short distance while leaving the video camera
running. The view was full of snow until he readjusted the antenna
afterwards, but it was interesting to see.

Old April 3rd 05, 07:26 PM
Rusty

On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 11:53:09 -0600, "Josh Hopkins"
wrote:

[...]

This website has the Apollo 15 video taken from aboard the moving
Lunar Rover. The Rover TV camera is visible in the image, which was
taken from the 16-mm film camera.

Rusty
Old April 3rd 05, 07:37 PM
Rusty

wrote:

[...]

I've found videos from two Apollo missions showing onboard videos of
the Lunar Rover while in motion:

Apollo 15 Lunar Rover onboard video traverse (see #18)
http://www.finleyholidaystock.com/space/sets/fh203.htm

Apollo 16 Lunar Rover onboard video traverse (see #18)
http://www.finleyholidaystock.com/space/sets/fh204.htm

Rusty

Old April 3rd 05, 11:26 PM
Peter Smith

Josh Hopkins wrote...

So, does the shot I'm thinking of actually exist?
If so, was it shot using the rover camera, or one
of the separate film cameras? Bonus kudos to
whoever can identify which mission and which track
from the Spacecraft Films DVD it's on. Or is my
faulty memory making it all up?

This and other video is at Kipp Teague's site:
http://www.apolloarchive.com/

Hit 'Apollo Multimedia' on the left index panel. Make sure you have plenty
of time, theres a heap of stuff there

- Peter

Old April 4th 05, 09:07 AM
Pat Flannery

Rusty wrote:

I've found videos from two Apollo missions showing onboard videos of
the Lunar Rover while in motion:

Apollo 15 Lunar Rover onboard video traverse (see #18)
http://www.finleyholidaystock.com/space/sets/fh203.htm

Apollo 16 Lunar Rover onboard video traverse (see #18)
http://www.finleyholidaystock.com/space/sets/fh204.htm

Now it's videos! the rest of us might just as well give up... Rusty
_IS_ sci.space.history. :-D

Pat